PCOS
My younger sister has just been diagnosed with PCOS. The ob/gyn has refered her to an endocrinologist. She lives outside US. My questions is what tests are done by endocrinologist here in US? So that she is aware of them beforehand. Also, what are the medications that can be prescribed.

Another question is, her cycles can be upto 6mo, will clomid reduce the cycle days to 30days, even in her case?

And how useful are the fertility monitors and OPK when one is in fertility drugs?

Thanks :)
I've just recently been diagnosed myself - the specialist I'm seeing prescribed Metformin.
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18. My doctors put me on Metforen and Aldacton. The doctors also told me that because my PCOS was so bad I would never have children. My husband and I went to the best infertility doctor in the states and I still did not get pregnant. Tonight I set here holding my 4 month old son that my husband and I conceived without the help of any doctors.
Congrats to both of you ladies :) I am so glad to hear the news :)

My specialist told me he would be surprised if I could get pregnant, too, and I did on my first try.  I'm six weeks today.
Bailee, Did you get pg the first time without outside intervention? And were you diagnosed with PCOS after your first child?
I was diagnosed with PCOS in May. It took a year to get preggo with my first DS. This time I am starting on my 7th month and I am not preggo yet. I am seeing an RE and he has put me on femara and predisone this cycle. I am hoping for a BFP this month. One of the most important things I can tell you is that she needs to watch her diet and make sure to exercise. It seems to help greatly with actually ttc. I am reading a book now called The Insulin Resistance Diet and it is a great lifestyle guide for women with PCOS.
I have PCOS too. I had two children in my very early 20's before being diagnosed. Got pregnant with a 3rd on my own last year and had a miscarriage.

My doctor has me on Metformin, Clomid, Estradiol, and Prometrium.  Feeling a little like a pharmacy.

As far as tests go- they all involve drawing blood.  She may have to have a fasting blood glucose test to check for insulin resistance.  There is one that lasts 1 hour. If you fail that one you go back and do a 3 hour test. They have you drink a very very sweet drink and then take your blood every hour for the next 3 hours.

Clomid should help regulate her cycles, but it can't be used long term. You're only supposed to take it for 6 months.  Metformin may help with that long term if she has insulin resistance with it. Unfortunately, the only other long term solution for regulating periods that I've heard of is Birth Control Pills.

Let us know the outcome from the Endocronologist.
I too was diagnosed and conceived my little girl on the first try on our own.  She's 6 months old.