Maternal & Child Community
PLEASE HELP A STRUGGLING FIRST TIME MOTHER WITH A TROUBLING QUESTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm a 22 year old first time mother who is 3 months pregnate and a recovering drug addict, I used all the street drug, but my drug of choice was Meth and Marijuana, and have done them ALL every way possible, I've also been addicted to every type of pill, it used to be pain pill such as oxycotton, vikaden, but now I'm addicted to sleeping pills which I'm doing better with, but still struggling with. I have a concern that my past drug use can really hurt my baby, I'm not sure if my fears are for a good reason or if I'm just over reacting, I used to be very embarased about my past but now I'm able to talk about it openly and honestly, and I'm willing to say I need help, and some questions awnsered so maybe I will sleep better at night, I do not want my unborn child to have to suffer from my stupid mistakes, I've only been clean for 9 and a half months but never the less I'm clean but now I worry if my choices will effect my baby, I keeping pray I will have a stong and healthy baby. I've asked my Doctor and many people on this and nobodys been able to really awnser this question if someone could please help me I would appreciate it, please don't look at me as another junkie, but as a new mother searching for awnsers to help her baby. Please Email Me - ***@**** , Thank You - every bit of information given will be so helpful, please think of this as helping an ex drug user find her way in the world she is just now living in for the first time in 6 years. Thank You, & Bless all who read this and all who can help me! I can never say thank you enough for any help I get.
No one is going to think of you as a junkie as long as you are definitely clean and I do believe you are.  I think your baby is going to be fine.  You quit before you got pg so as long as you have done nothing while pg I would say all is ok with your baby.  I congratulate you on being clean.  I am sure it is a hard thing to go through.  I do wish you the best of luck.  Keep all of your appts with the dr and discuss all of your concerns.  If you ever need to talk this is a great forum for that.  We do not judge, however, we do give opinions sometimes that people do not like or take the wrong way but please do not let that stop you from coming.  Let us know the progress of your pg and let us know how baby is doing.  Your post may help others out there in the same boat.  Again Congrats and stay sober girly.
Hun I went through that same thing with a freind 2 years ago. Her baby was fine. Keep up the good work and remember stay clean not only for your self but for the rest of your childs life to. Best of wishes.

Nicci
You have nothing to worry about! I did drugs too, mostly weed, and ecstasy. I smoked weed while I was in the early stages of my second pregnancy, (i didnt know I was pregant)And that is the baby I carried to term. She was very healthy at birth and STILL very healthy. The fact that you got pregnant is very good. If you were still a "junkie" you probably wouldnt be pregnant now. If you noticed you havent gotten pregnant while you were in the drugs pretty bad. I know it is hard to stay quit with them, but as long as you do that I think everything will be great! The drug babies that are born with the problems are due to the fact that thier mothers STILL DID drugs. I wish you the world of luck on staying quit and your pregnancy!!
I just wanted to say thank you to who have helped me out thus far I really do appreciate it, I do know people are bound to have diffrentn opinions on certain topics in life but thats what makes the world intresting, if we all did everything thing the same, life would not only be dull and boring, it would be a world at all it would just be a giant ball in the center of the universe, and if we didn't have opinions certain things would never be thought of, time would not have progressed, we wouldn't have even 10% of what we have now, and thats thanks to diffrences in opinions, so I'm always willing to learn and listen and take advise in something I would never have even thought of before which may make diffrent or the same still but who knows someones smarts can change your out look on life!! Again thanks to you all
*R*