Maternal & Child Community
PREGNANCY & HERNIATED DISK

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PREGNANCY & HERNIATED DISK

Hello all.

I'm new to this forum, but I am sure glad I found it.

My husband and I are trying for our 4th child. One of my concerns is that I have a herniated disk and I am terrified of having that HORRID sciatica from h*** that I had two years ago (not pregnant at that time). I ended up in the ER (granted I waited waaaaaaaay to long to go!) on all fours because I couldn't walk! Finally after much prayer and two cortisone shots in my back I am doing ok. But boy am I scared to go through that again?!?

Are there any moms out there that have suffered through REALLY BAD sciatica and pregnancies?
How did you treat it?
Did it go away after delivery?
Would you do it again?

I'd love to hear your story/advise/ideas/ANYTHING to help ease my nerves (no pun intended)

Thank you all so much,
AutiMama
I have an L4/5 herniation that I sustained prior to having my three boys and it has yet to be repaired. About twice a year I 'throw' out my back and end up in very much the same way, in misery, barely able to move. not a pleasant thing with three active boys. I would suffer with severe back pain throughout my pregnancies, moist heat and ice helped somewhat, about as much as putting a water dropper on a fire : ). Unfortunately the best OTC for my back pain (not a fan of rx pain pills) was motrin or aleve, which are off limits during pregnancy.

It is manageable, but was worth it for my boys.
I also had a herniated disc that was repaired with two corisone shots.  (Mine was L5/S1.)  I'm now in my 35th week of pregnancy and I've had some mild back discomfort, but it's nothing like the pain I experienced before the cortisone injections.  
Hello I was just diagnosed as having 3 herniated lumbar discs. He didn't tell me which ones.  I have the MRI images on CD though. I have to go back to see him. I am also afraid that I may be pregnant with my third.

I also would have my back " go out" and be on the floor couldn't move maybe like once a month. Ironically while I was pregnant with my first two kids I didn't get any major pain. However a month ago I experienced the most excruiating pain and had to go to the ER. Then I went to the Orthopedic specialist who did the MRI and saw that I had 3 herniated lumbar discs. He claimed physical therapy and weight control were my best options right now. I have an appointment with my OB-GYN tomorrow.

I am afraid I am going to have a relapse with the excrutiating pain again if I am pregnant. I hope I am not because I can barely lift my 3 1/2 yr old and 2 yr old. I don't want to debilitate myself. If I am though I need some advice on how to manage the pain if anyone has any. Thanks
Hello. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower lumbar and have been dealing with the pain for 2 years without any luck through traditional medical doctors. All they want to do is give you pills and charge you an arm and a leg. Then I began going to a hollistic chiropractor and she is treating it correctly so that it will heal and not just be masked. I am finally getting some relief! I would recommend visiting a chiropractor as soon as possible. ALso they are able to do treatments throughout your pregnancy that are safe and will help keep your body working properly and prevent pain. Good luck...this si no fun at alllllll I know!
Hey!
I was diagnosed w/a Herniated disc in my lower back. It affects my entire leg on a daily/moment basis.
The pain does not go away for even one sec. I take Motrin/Advil etc. Nothing seems to really work..
The Dr said most likely physical therapy won't work and suggested to start w/the cortizon/epidural injections and if that won't work, go for the surgery....
I have two beautiful and healthy children thank God. I really really wanted to have at least another one. Didn't expect this whole herniated disc to happen...I've been suffering (very badly) from it for the past 4 months or so.. I'm 35 years old..
THe Dr told me, as a father, I would tell you to do whatever feel is right, but as a Dr I would ask you to PLEASE DON'T GET PREGNANT!!!!!
What do you moms think? I'm dying to get some input on this one...
I just found out I'm pregnant. I've waited a long time for this. About a year ago my left leg started to spasm uncontrallable. The pain was incredible. What I had done was push my L5/S1 into my nerve column.  Because of the severity of my situation I has a minmally invasive lumbar disc/compression surgery. Unfortunately about 6months after my surgery my L5/S1 went back into my nerve column but not as bad as the first time. On top of that I also found out I have a couple of herniated disc in my neck that makes my left arm throbb. Everyone from my doctor to my Surgeon told me to either get cortison shot or take pain medication. NO THANK YOU!  That's when I found an MD Ostopathe.  It's amazing how much better I feel. Chiropractors aren't even on the same level as ostopathes. I've seen both and their is diffently a difference between the two. I also get some acupuncture as well with my ostopathe.  When I ask my surgeon what he thought about ostopathes he said" Oh ya I heard they work". Wow then why didn't you tell me about them. I am nervous about my pregnancy but I'm working on my  core strength, eating healthy and educating myself as much as I can. Any advice you could give me I would greatly appreciate it.
I have 3 herniated discs between L3-S1 and have had 4 surgeries to no avail.  I did cortisones for YEARS before they stopped working earlier this year.  For those of you asking about pregnancy and herniated discs, I'd say there is just no guarantee that even the cortisone will help.  2 of my pregnancies went beautifully.  I had NO pain worse than any other preg woman.  However, my 3rd happened to lay on my nerve and no amt of pain meds nor cortisone shots would help.  It was THE MOST MISERABLE pregnancy ever.  I ended up having my son 2 1/2 mos early b/c the stress from the pain and having 2 other babies at home (my girls were 2 and 3 y.o.).  Now facing a 3 level fusion b/c my spine surgeon gives me no other alternatives nor does any other specialist, YES, I am *considering* another baby.  The pain of my 3rd was excruciating but, I'm in a better "situation" now.  I have a part time nanny, my husband is a lot more help than ever before, and my other children are 2, 4, and 6 years old, which is a LOT easier than having 2 babies while in a high risk pregnancy.  Still unsure whether I am going to have another, mostly b/c of the meds I'm on for my pain, but if I did, I might even wait another couple years just to further cut back on stress.  Good luck to those of you who are pregnant with the disc problems.  God bless!  
hi, im 29 and have a 9 year old and six year old, i am wanting another child, but have two slipped disc, im going to a pain clinic in two weeks to have injections in my spain, i have pain every single day, some worse then others, im on tramdol for pain relief at present and they seem to really help, any suggestions on having another child??/
after three kids and while in the military I ruptured my L5-S1.  After a year a so when they finally started injections, epidural injections only provided very minor relief.  i tried all sorts of pain meds, (tramadol, methocarbamol, flexeril, ibuprofen 800 etc) but after a while I had to get off of those, because driving to be in PT formation at 5 in the morning zombified is NOT safe.
anyhow, during a discogram that checks the pressure of the bad disk(s) and compares it with two good ones (it recreates the pain for confirmation by expanding each disk with fluid) my L3-L4 (a comparison disk) ruptured.  yeah, not good.
well I finally had a procedure on my L5-S1 called IDET.  Its a fairly new procedure, about 10 years, but the procedure involves guiding a copper wire  around the inner perimeter of the disk and heating it up one degree at a time causing the disk to harden or cauterize. Recovery can take between 6mos to a year for good relief.  Mine took about 9 months and I started to see a major difference.
Well, I am now pregnant with our 4th child, which I was so scared to do, but I did it.  I was doing pretty good up until the last 2 months for or so.  I now get sudden sharp pains in the lower back (or upper buttock region) my legs will go numb and those sharp pains are the worst, as it makes me feel like my leg will give out from under me at any moment, which isn't cool because who wants to fall while 8 months pregnant.
i wobble around lots, especially when first getting up because my back feels so unstable and it hurts alot.  after a while it gets better, but at this moment, I've been up since 4 am; when I went to roll over in bed, I feel as if I've pulled something in my back (smh)

I was 30 when my L5-S1 went, and was told at 32 that i have degenerative disk disease.  i had been doing rather well after my IDET (in Jan 2011) but I feel like I've taken 2 steps back.  No matter, this baby is so worth it.  but that's just me.
I  was in a car accident late last year and found out I was pregnant at the accident appointment!!, so they couldn't do any tests or get me any treatment. I had to walk with a walker or cane or wheelchair for the pregnancy and kept falling due to extreme sciatica and sprained/broke my foot/ankle several times throughout the pregnancy. The pain was absolutely unbearable. The pregnancy was terrible and I would never do it again. The pain is still occurring and did not go away after the baby was born (11 weeks ago). I went to the chiropractor yesterday and he said I have had a herniated disc(s) this whole time! At least I know the reason why I've been in such pain, even at the very beginning of pregnancy when the baby was no more than an ounce,  and know why it hasn't gone away since the birth. The stress has been overwhelming thinking I am crazy. People said it was abnormal to be in so much pain, but no one could tell me the problem.  I was worried about my health and her health with me falling all the time, and me not being able to work because of the inability to walk and the pain was very hard on me and my family. It was very scary to not be able to walk and the chronic pain has definitely affected my quality of life since the accident--and made my pregnancy was absolutely miserable! I didn't enjoy the pregnancy at all, and kicking and movement wasn't exciting like it was with my first, the pregnancy was just so sad and painful. I will be seeking treatment prior to having any more children. It was so unbearable to have the pressure of the baby pushing against my injury. And I couldn't take anything for the pain. I am eager to get treatment now that I can (no meds though because I am nursing my newborn). I really hope chiropractic therapy is the answer! I will find out! BTW She is healthy and happy and perfect in every way!

Good Luck with another pregnancy if you have one! I understand the pain you felt. It was unbearable. I am young, so wheelchair and walker were very, very hard for me at first (embarrassing), but they really made all the difference. So don't be too proud! That's what I learned! Good Luck!