Maternal & Child Community
PREGNANT AND PAIN IN RIGHT LEG?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PREGNANT AND PAIN IN RIGHT LEG?????

Hello, I am 23 weeks pregnant with twins. I have been having a pretty constant pain in my right leg. It is more toward the inside of my leg than anywhere else. Any idea what this might be or causing this? My back is beginning to hurt most days. Guess that is to be expected.

Please advise.
That pain in your leg sounds like syotic nerve (I don't think I spelled it right) I have it from time to time but I can remember it being worse when I was pregnant. It used to drop me to the floor sometimes when it was really bad. It's nothing to worry about though I would mention it to your dr.
The back pain is probably just from the pregnancy, but the leg pain you may need to watch out for.  If the pain is in the calf, or in the thigh, the leg is swollen, or red, or hot, you need to let your OB know.  Or, if it just continues to bother you even without the above symptoms, it would be best to just run it by the OB.  You are at higher risk of a lower extremity blood clot, having twins.  But don't worry too much; it is still very uncommon.  Keep an eye on it.

As for the back pain, try simple measures such as Tylenol for pain, watch your posture, use good body mechanics, sleep with a pillow between your legs, or try one of the pregnancy belly-supporters.  

Watch out for contractions (hardening of the abdomen) that comes and goes in a periodic fashion.  Sometimes they are perceived as intermittent back pain.  5-6 or more per hour warrents a call to the OB.  

Hope you feel better!
I had a shooting pain (like a cramp from my thigh all the way down to my calf) when I tried to move my leg. I was about 33 weeks pregnant when it happened. My doctor said that the baby was laying in such a way that it was putting pressure on my syatic (sciatic) nerve. He said it was nothing to worry about as long as I could move my leg and the baby was active. Turns out my son was just huge (10.5 lbs) and there wasn't anywhere else for him to lay :o) maybe that's what your pain is because you're having twins and there isn't much room :o)
I am 7 1/2 months pregant and just this week I got a terible shooting pain in my left butt cheek, with a numbing down my leg.  I did some research and it definately sciatic nerve.  My doctor said it could be becasue of the size of my uterus or size of the baby.  Either way I am good when it comes to pain, but this is almost unbearable.  When I lay down it is relieved, however, who can lay down all day.  I work and go to school.  So does anyone out there have any suggestions.  I am desperate to relive this pain.  Tylanol does help but how safe is it to take it everyday now??
dddd
I am 35 weeks pregnant and after intercourse with my husband last night I have been having alot of cramping... I had the cramping all night last night and most of the day today.  But the cramping is mainly on the right side of my stomach and down my right leg.  It hurt so bad last night I was walking to the bathroom and the cramp came and I just hit the floor it hurt so bad.  I'm not having any bleeding or discharge.  I also have back spasms, but those have been coming and going for a while now.  Since it has been a night and an entire day I didnt think I should still be cramping.... any comments or advice?
i am only 21 weeks pregnant and i am having very bad pains in my right bum cheak and in my thigh, i have fallen many time due to the pain, i had simpular pains when i was pregnant with my first but i was over 30 weeks then and it was not so bad! need help!
To relieve pain for a sciatic nerve you can take a warm bath, or apply ice, and even walking will help! I have had this with all three of my pregnancies, with this last one being the worst. I have had it in both of my legs here and there and found that ice only works for my right side, heat only works for my left side, and walking really helps me out for both. I thought walking would make it worse, but it didn't! Tylenol didn't do anything for me. Hope this helps;)
Im about 24 wks preggo and im havin pains inside both of my legs even up to my middle area...the pain is well first it will go numb n stay like that along with pain when i walk it hurts even when im lyin down...i was told by my doctor it might be my body adjusting to the pregnancy...but i have a feeling it could be something else...does anyone have any ideas what else might be causing the pain?
I am 23 weeks preg and having serious pain in my right leg. It lasts 10 mins a time then stops. It will then return about 20mins later. It's really disabling and I've had to stop dead in my tracks when the pain takes hold. It has happened to me on the street when on my way home from work. It's vey painful and has be bent over. Is there any remedies to help with this pain????
Hi I am having a similar problem but my pain is in my outer thigh an left buttock, I'm 17 weeks pregnant and I've had this For about a week, I can barely put pressure on my leg so therefore I'm finding it hard to walk can someOne tell me what is causing this please
I am 26 weeks pregnant and i have had problems with my lower back and thigh which was due to my sciatic nerve, i went to physio and he would click and stretch my feet arches and back - he said the best thing for sciatic nerve was working on your flexibility - i would walk into the office limping and walk out feeling fine.

i had very back back pain on my right side also for a time and was diagnosed with pyelonephritis which is a kidney infection and ended up in hospital for a week.  The symptoms of which where masked by my pregnancy - back pain and peeing a lot (plus thinking it was still the sciatic nerve playing up) it can start in your bladder and can spread to your kidney. bladder infections are very common and kidney infections can make your baby smaller..  i wasnt getting the whole sting when you pee thing so my illness went untreated for about 6 weeks.

Occasionally i get a very painful ache in my right thigh and back of knee that hangs around for maybe three days at a time which i think is time to get checked out as i have heard of deep vein thrombosis which is a blood clot that can travel through your body to your lungs etc.  Its more than ok to bug your doctor/OB about aches and pains in my opinion - there is a wee one you are putting first really..
i strongly think it is the sciatic nerve it is the eact kind of pain i had - dont go see a chiropractor see a physio get him to work on your flexibility of your feet arches and lower back - that is what relieved my symptoms magically - however not everyone gets the same results with the sciatic nerve..