Maternal & Child Community
PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH BREACH BIRTH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH BREACH BIRTH

I am searching for information about children born in breach position with the umbilical cord around the neck. Then delivered naturally after being turned by the Dr. I was born in this manner and have suffered poor hand eye coordination, poor right hand control and grasp and a week (wandering) left eye.  
I have seen references over the years that the above birthing situation is responsible for these problems.  
I am now 38 yo male healthy but am sick of droping objects almsot constantly so have started to research the problem. But I have not been able to lkocate anything. Are there any people out  there who have had a child with this sought of birth and had any info on the problems I am talking about.
Any suggestions or refernces offered would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not quite sure what you are asking for.

Certain types of breech births can be associated with higher instances of birth trauma and some subsequent damage.  38 years ago, breech birth was very common and most doctors were very skilled managing it--not so true today when Cesarean Section is so common!

However, regardless of what caused your problems, there is little to do now but focus on developing strategies for overcoming damage.  After 38 years, you have probably developed many ways to cope.  Perhaps physical therapy could help you with more.

Some people have the type of problems you describe even with perfectly normal births, so at this late date, there is little chance to prove that your damage happened at birth or not.

Good luck to you.
What about occupational therapy as it helps improve skills for everyday activities.
Yes, I was born breach. My mother did not inform me until I was  twenty four years old.  I have allways suffered with eye hand cordination, weak right hand grasp and sinus problems and stomach problems.One of my eyes is larger than the other and tends to droop. My immune system has allways been out of  wack. I have a tilted uterus. I had c-sections with both of my children and was advised by my doctor not to have anymore children because of my body structure. I have sufered with sinus problems since I was nine. I am now 51 years old and still suffering. I have tried every herbal remedy on the market to avoid  sinus surgery and releive the stomach problems. The doctors think I am a" hypochondriac."  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism two years ago. I just recently began to research breach births as a possible connection to my health problems. My daughter waited until she was a freshmen in college and 800 miles away to tell me she thinks I have Attention deficient disorder. I am also loking for others who were born breach.
my name is doug i also had a breach birth and have had alot of problems in school even though i have 6 brothers and sisters who are very intelligent and all have advanced degrees. i also have a history of head injury and add. i hope you are doing better and no you are not a hypochondriac,the docs thought the same thing about me untill i started having eegs and ekgs and mris that are all abnormal. i also have had very severe depression, the amazing thing is im now on only one medicine, lamictal which works for seizures and deression.
My 30 year old son was born with the cord wrapped around his neck twice,I believe this was due to the doctors turning him from the breach position twice while he was in the womb.
fortunatly he has always had very good health his imune system is fantastic, he never got any of the childhood illnesses his 3 siblings got and he is a Very good sportsman ie football,cricket tennes snooker etc,so is eye /hand coordination is very good,.the only difference betweem him and his siblings is that he is left handed,but I am sure this is nothing to do with how he was delivered.
I am 34 weeks pregnant and my baby is sitting in my plevis with his legs pointing straight up so they are in frount of his Head.

My Doctor is tilling me that the best idea is to have a c section but I am just trying to find out some information first. My doctor told me that I have to have another appoinment when I am 36 weeks, if my baby is not turned by then I have to book in a c section because of the way that he is growing and we dont want him to get to cramped in that possition.

I have been looking at natural ways to get him around like turning but I am not sure if this is the safest thining because he is not just breach, his bum is wedged in my pelvis. I need some advise and some ideas and/or if I should even concider anything else or should I just go with what the Doctor Says I should do???
I am 33 weeks and 3 days by baby is also breach, I was told I should look at my options because of lack of fluid they are not able to rotate her, my Doctor will do breach births as long as we don't have to induce, due to the lack of fluid,  I was born breach 34 years ago and I have not had any problems associated with it.  I am just looking at what people have to say about it and weighing all options
Most people don't understand why I just wouldn't go for the c-section, its not that I don't wnt to its just trying to figure out what it best for my baby and also taking care of the two little girls I already have.  Just because everyone has c sections now, is it really the best?  I am just looking for suggestions.
I was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and also was breech birth.  I do believe I was somewhat autistic when I was younger and even now, at the age of 55, have difficulties sometimes in social situations.  I walked on my heels , so my shoes were always crooked.  Now sometimes people tell me I walk with a limp and sometimes people think I have been drinking (what with the way I walk).  My sinuses are bad, and I get a lot of allergies.  Growing up, my face and chest would always be red (I mean beet red...unusually so.)  I no longer have redness in the face or chest, but now have a spastic colon.  I have a spastic colon that has always been there since my first working day.
Now the spasticity in the colon happens if I eat the wrong foods.  Sometimes, I think I am allergic to certain foods.  The eye doctor just informed me that my eye lens looks as though someone has just punched me in the eye.  I do remember about a month ago having spasms in this eye for a couple of minutes and it hurt....but I just thought it was nothing.  My immune system (WBC) is on the low side and sometimes I feel as though before I came out of my mother that I might have suffered a stroke.  With the way I walk and the tiredness (mentally putting things together ...no, I'm not "mentally challenged"...
my IQ is 120...but at times I am slow) sometimes I feel that I might have mild cerebral palsy.  I do believe a lot can happen to a person before they come out of the mother.  
I am also looking for more information about this kind of birth, so I can make myself stronger, both physically and mentally.  It is important to know about one's self, even if it was before they came out of their mother.  I also want to know the characteristics of this type of person...their personalities, etc. ...  I do believe knowing these things, can help this person a great deal, even if there symptoms are mild or even if people don't believe that it could have happened during their birth.  Sure people are born normal and do have medical  problems.  Many researchers and psychologists know that the person born breech and with the umbilical cord wrapped around their necks might feel different pressures than the one who was born normally.  The researchers, psychologists, and psychiatrists believe that the person having gone through birth trauma thinks and feels differently than the person who didn't go through birth trauma.    It is important for the way this person feels to be known.  
dormguard