Maternal & Child Community
PROMETRIUM - Worried about taking it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PROMETRIUM - Worried about taking it

I had an early miscarriage in May due to low progesterone. I was given Prometrium for after I ovulate. I started taking it on Saturday and then I went to the internet to research it.I see that many people on this site have benefited from it and have wonderful babies or good pregnancies. What I am worried about is the side effects. I am already a worrier and now I see that it causes it blood clots. In the past couple of days, I have had the feeling of pulled muscles in my legs and I am not sure if I am just being paranoid. I can't take asprin because I have asthma so if anyone has some great advice or reassurance, I would ever be so grateful.
I must say that I am for Prometruim because I feel that is what saved my last pregnancy. I had 2 previous miscarriages, one due to Down's Syndrome the other was low progesterone. At one of my first appts. with my last my progesterone was low again they immediatly put me on Prometruim and I delivered a healthy baby girl 6 months ago. Good luck to you. Also I had no problems with Prometruim, it just made me very sleepy so I took it before bed.
Tiffany
I am curerntly on Prometruim.  I think I have to take it until I am 12 weeks.  I have to check with my dr. for sure about this though.  Anyway - I am for it so far.  This could be what it helping my keep this one or not.  I dont know if I had low progesterone or not, she just put me on it as a precaution.  I hope it works for you.  I have to take it vaginally and I do it before I go to bed to avoid all that yucky discharge from it.
I am also on prometrium.  I am not at all worried about the side effects.  I am also on it just as a precaution, incase my progesterone was low.  And I have to say that so far so good and I'm 10 1/2 weeks prego.  Other things like birth control pills, and the patch also have warnings of blood clots, along with a lot of other medication.  But I would say that if you haven't had a problem in the past with blood clots I wouldn't worry about it.  I am also taking a baby aspirin every day.  Good luck:)
I am all for prometrium.  It got me through the first part of this pg.  I was on a higher dose, so it made me feel really gross.  But it does wonders for your pregnancy.  There is a slight risk of side effects.  But i'm pretty sure that the blood clots are associated with prolonged use.  I would check with your Dr. on that one.  The only side effect that i've been warned about is that it has been linked to cleft pallet in newborns.  But the chances of that are low as well.  

I would take the time to discuss your concerns with your Dr.  But I'm sure that if it were that terribly bad, there wouldn't be so many Dr's prescribing it to their patients.
The only real side-effects that i've noticed were that i got pretty sick...almost flu-like symptoms while i was on it. But, like i said, i was on a higher dose...and the Dr. warned me that i probably wouldn't feel very well while i was on it.  Also...my hair got pretty dry....and my face broke put something terrible...but those could just be from pregnancy in general. Other than that...i didn't notice much at all.
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with you - I guess I am just paranoid. I do have a call into my dr. to be safe. What if any side efects have any of you had?
the only side effects i got was being exhausted and nauseated.  i had to take it during the first trimester when you are already naseaous and tired but compared to my last pregnacny, i was definaately MUCH more tired and depressed too.
I also take it vaginally (reduces the side effects). When I take it orally I get the flu-like feeling and really bad stomach cramps.

I think the Prometrium does cause that "pulled muscle" feeling because I've had it in both my legs (the upper front) since starting it shortly after ovulation (I'm only 4.5wks pg right now).

I have recurrent miscarriages so my dr suggested we give this a whirl (I don't take the baby aspirin because my clotting panel came back normal).

He said I'll stay on it until 12wks but since I had fetal demise at 17wks I'd really really like to stay on it until my third trimester.

Kelly

I am so glad that I am not the only one out there that has that muscle acheness. Did you ever tell the doctor about it? I told my doctor that I was worried about blod clots but I guess I am just being paranoid. Birth control says the same thing. I feel that pulled muscle in both of my thighs and I am not sure if I need to be worried about that. I feel crazy for caling my dosctor for everything little thing. I am hoping I am pregnant. Not sure if I can stand all of the worrying and I am sure once I am pregnant again, the worrying will increase.

Please anyone who has experienced that pulled muscle feeling from Prometrium, please - any words of advice would be great.
I have had 5 children healthy, and I got pregnant and lost one at 14 wks, ultrasound showed no heartbeat, then lost another at 17 weeks, same thing, I sent tissue to UAB for chromosome testing everything was fine. Then i heard from a friend that low progesterone caused this to happen to her, we never tested for this while i was pregnant. I would like to have another baby but am afraid, can someone give me some positive answers, Has anyone had this happen out of the blue before? remember i have 5 healthy children, oh i am 35 yrs old does this have anything to do with possibly low progesterone Thank you
Hi everyone - I am new to this message board but often find myself back at this website looking for answers to my fertility questions.  

I am currently 5 weeks pregnant (second pregnancy) and my OBGYN suggested I start taking prometrium because I miscarried my first pregnancy.  I too, have read it can cause blood clots and produce some other less than desirable side effects.  So, I called my reproductive endo to get a second opinion on taking prometrium and he said it is absolutely safe.  My fertility doc is one of the most respected docs in my area (DC/VA) and has been practicing fertiliy for 28 years (I'd say his expertise is pretty rock solid).  In addition, if you are at all familiar with IVF, progesterone is injected in IVF patients once the embryo has been implanted - and it is in much higher doses (usually) than what most patients take in with prometrium.  

I hope this helps!  Good luck to all of you who are pregnant or trying to conceive!  It's often a difficult and emotional process and I think it helps to have forums like this one to turn to in difficult times.
I understand what you are going thur..I have 2 children with no problems there and then a miscarriage this past May.. I am pgt again and this time my doctor checked my progest level and it is low, he put me on prometrium and hopefully it helps..So far I have had no problems with it but before I take it I eat a good size meal with it...GOOD LUCK to everyone
Andrea
how far along were u when u miscarried? I am going to genetic counseling! I just can't rest until I know what happened! thanks for commenting
I wanted to write as I have seen many posts on this site regarding Prometrium. I was put on this drug after being told I had a very low progesterone level at the start of my pregnancy. I like many of you looked over the side effect and saw all the thing and then thought none of those will happen to me as I am young and healthy and have never had anything bad health wise before. I started the pills at 8 weeks and within a week I noticed that I had a backache almost all the time. I reported it to my doctor who told me that it had nothing to do with the medication. I continued on it and then just as I was supposed to stop I was taken to the hospital with a swollen purple left leg. I was told that I had a huge blood clot and was hospitalized and put on heprin for 4 days. I am now on injections twice a day for the rest of my pregnancy and then will probably have to contiune after the baby is born. I dont want to worry anyone but please be aware that the side effects really do happen to people. I now cannot get around and am stuck on bed rest until my leg gets better(hopefully in a few weeks) I was given a web site by my sister in law who is a doctor it has other things you should read about medications that are the same type as prometrium - please read and be careful and if you have any symptoms that just dont seem right to you trust your instincts and tell your doctor right away. Good luck to all the other pregnant ladies out there..
http://my.athenet.net/~nrsprntg/Letters2001.htm
I am sorry in the last post the web site for other information was wrong here is the right one    http://www.truthaboutpremarin.com

I have had 2 miscarriages one at about 6 weeks the other at 8.5 weeks also what they call a biochemical pregancy  They ran some tests and the dr said all were normal.  He now wants to put me on Clomid then when I have a positive pregnancy test then he wants to start prometrium.  They cannot find the reason for the miscarriages but I havent done any of the exploratory options or the genetic screening bc they says they are so rare.  But it seems like now I feel so discouraged and nervous.  Does anyone have any experience with clomid and why are they starting me on prometrium after a pos preg test. Dont you think it should be around ovulation.  I think i should probably go in for a consultation bc I am so full of questions.  But i seems like with every visit i end up with more and more questions.
I had a miscarriage because of low progesterone.  Next pregnancy 3 months later, Dr put me on Prometrium tablets until I was 3 months preg.  Well it must have done the trick, I am 38 weeks and about to deliver.
The prometrium will hold the pregnancy.  I was only 5 1/2 weeks and was told by the obgyn to stop everything except for the prenatal vitamins and extra calcium and folic acid.  Well, I also stopped the Natural progesterone cream and sure enough I had a miscarriage.  I started to experience pains so bad that I could not wear a seat belt... and around the time of my cycle that I was to start the progesterone again.  So please, your doctor sounds like he is watching out for you and your up and coming pregnancy.   And if you are pregnant..you will not be ovulating because an egg is already fertilized.  Good luck, I will be praying for you.
hey I am new to this site.  My doctor prescribed Prometrium 2 days after my IUI.  I have had 2 miscarriages in the last 5 years, and no children.  Tomorrow I take the pregnancy test.  What I am wondering is if anyone knows when side effects from the Prom start happening.  ON day 10 my breasts became sore, and are still sore, especially my nipples.  I am so tired all of the time, crying for no reason, worrying so much, irritated, gained weight quick, UGGGHHHHHH! Of course these could be pregnancy symptoms, and that is what I am hoping.  Did anyone get sore b's on Prom & if so do you remember how many days you were on it before you had the symptoms start?
Hey everyone... im new to this site too, i have a question though, i was on prometrium for about a week a little over a month ago to help me find my cycle again, never worked but i did get pregnant. Should i start taking it again to keep my progesterone up? i have a whole bottle left....how much should i take? i dont know what dose i was on but what are all of you guys taking (dose wise)? i think i might try and take it just to keep this pregnancy valid....im very worried about a miscarriage. any thoughts?
My 22 yr. old daughter is 3 mon. preg. and her Dr. prescribed Prometrium 200 mg. twice a day because of low progestrone. I am worried because she has a genetic disorder called Neurofibromatosis type 1 which is a tumor disorder and is aggravated by hormones esp. progestrone. If her baby inherited the disorder can the progestrone cause a more severe case?

My daughter has two brain gliomas(caused by neurofibromatosis) in the basal ganglia that have been stable, can the Prometrium make them grow? We asked her Dr. he said he heard of the disorder but never had a patient with and does not know much about it.
She took Prometrin for the latter two months and experienced severe headaches and her Dr. told her she did not have to take them anymore. I did not know she was taking it because she did not tell me she was pregnant until a few days ago otherwise I would have questioned it before she took any.

Does anyone know anything about NF (neurofibromatosis) and the side effects of Prometrium with this disorder?

I have had an ultrasound an endometrial biopsy and they found that my progesterone level is low - and it was tested on cycle day 21 and yet the endometrium was only developed like a cycle day 15.

My OBGYN said that I could have been conceiving all along over the past 2 years but low progesterone means that the egg/sperm cannot implant properly - and even if it did, it wouldn't be able to survive - it would slough off and die...and yet everything else is absolutely normal ie I ovulate and have normal regular periods etc.

I have been prescribed Prometrium - to take once a day (everyday) orally from cycle day 15 and up until cycle day 25 (10 days later)

On the 25th day of my menstrual cycle I have to have a blood pregancy test...if it is positive - ie pregnant - then I have to continue taking Prometrium for 12 weeks to sustain the pregnancy...if negative - ie NOT pregnant - then I have to stop taking the Prometrium until the nest cycle day 15.

The reason I have detailed this is because everyone is different - so you really NEED to speak with an OBGYN (fertility specialist) about whether he thinks you need Prometrium.

I'm NOT SURE THAT YOU CAN TAKE PROMETRIUM IF IN FACT YOUR PROGESTERONE LEVELS ARE FINE - OTHERWISE YOU WOULD BE CREATING AN IMBALANCE - SURELY? oops...didn't mean to write that in capitals

I too am concerned about taking the Prometrium now after reading the side effects and especially as on the pot and instructions it reads - DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE IF PREGANT OR TRYING TO BECOME PREGNANT.

I telephoned my OBGYN this morning to confirm and clarify before I take it...I am waiting for him to get back to me - as I spoke to his secretary. and will let you know what he says!!

I am on cycle day 15 today...my ovulation is cycle day 16/17
the official title for my condition - lack of beiong able to get pregnant - is

a LUTEAL PHASE DEFICIENCY
P.S Once you get the go ahead from a professional to use it - there is actually a natural progesterone cream out there with NO SIDE EFFECTS.

Progesterone is the one hormone in the body of both male and female that regulates the entire endocrine system. That means that progesterone helps to keep all the other hormones in check, in balance. When there is a deficiency in progesterone the entire body can seem out of whack. Symptoms include all PMS and menopausal symptoms, thyroid dysfunction, low libido, infertility and pregnancy problems. Right now I’m going to focus on the role that progesterone plays in fertility.

The body produces progesterone in the second half of the cycle, known as the luteal phase. It’s progesterone that causes the basal body temperature to rise. It’s progesterone that helps the lining of the uterus to thicken for a possible fertilized egg to implant. It’s progesterone that goes on to maintain a pregnancy, once implantation takes place. And it’s progesterone that keeps the baby safely in the womb until ready to be born. If progesterone is deficient, you will experience PMS, luteal phase deficiency, miscarriage, preterm labor and possibly premature birth. Low progesterone is also responsible for post partum depression in many cases. Knowing what progesterone does you can certainly see why a deficiency in this can cause a lot of problems.
PLEASE NOTE:

Make sure that it is a natural progesterone cream made especially for luteal phase deficiency (if you have it) and NOT for women going through the menopause
this article is very onteresting

Luteal Phase Defect
by Lori Ramsey

http://www.thebabycorner.com/page/1342

DRUG DESCRIPTION
PROMETRIUM® (progesterone, USP) Capsules contain micronized progesterone for oral administration. Progesterone has a molecular weight of 314.47 and a molecular formula of C21H30O2. Progesterone (pregn-4-ene-3, 20-dione) is a white or creamy white, odorless, crystalline powder practically insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol, acetone and dioxane and sparingly soluble in vegetable oils, stable in air, melting between 126° and 131°C. The structural formula is:

Progesterone is synthesized from a starting material from a plant source and is chemically identical to progesterone of human ovarian origin. PROMETRIUM Capsules are available in multiple strengths to afford dosage flexibility for optimum management. PROMETRIUM Capsules contain 100 mg or 200 mg micronized progesterone.

The inactive ingredients for PROMETRIUM Capsules 100 mg include: peanut oil NF, gelatin NF, glycerin USP, lecithin NF, titanium dioxide USP, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Red No. 40.

The inactive ingredients for PROMETRIUM Capsules 200 mg include: peanut oil NF, gelatin NF, glycerin USP, lecithin NF, titanium dioxide USP, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Yellow No. 6.

Brand Name: Prometrium
Generic Name: Progesterone
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [See USP Controlled Room Temperature].

Dispense in tight, light-resistant container as defined in USP/NF, accompanied by a Patient Insert.

Protect from excessive moisture.

Keep out of reach of children.
the following website article tells you all the side effects and drug interactions and statistics of clinical trials - VERY WORRYING! I want to use the natural cream without the added chemicals - and I may be allergic to peanuts (it has peanut oil in it)

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/progesterone_ad.htm
Forget that!!  I will have faith in my OBGYN after all.

I just telephoned Walmart where I bought the Prometrium from (with my prescription from OBGYN) an d asked why the contradicting info on the pot label - and she said, "It's a very common drug prescribed for those who have a luteal phase deficiency - so don't worry"

I asked, "So you have had no reports of any side effects then?

She said, "NO".
THIS TELLS YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PROMETRIUM:

Prometrium
Generic Name: progesterone (proe JESS te rone)
Brand Names: First Progesterone MC10, First Progesterone MC5, Prometrium

What is Prometrium (progesterone)?
Progesterone is a female hormone important for the regulation of ovulation and menstruation.

Progesterone is used to cause menstrual periods in women who have not yet reached menopause but are not having periods due to a lack of progesterone in the body. Progesterone is also used to prevent overgrowth in the lining of the uterus in postmenopausal women who are receiving estrogen hormone replacement therapy.

Progesterone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What is the most important information I should know about Prometrium (progesterone)?
Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant. It could cause harm to the unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Some forms of this medication may contain peanut oil. Do not use progesterone without telling your doctor if you have a peanut allergy. Using progesterone can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, heart attack, or breast cancer. Do not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: a history of stroke or blood clot, circulation problems, severe liver disease, a hormone-related cancer such as breast or uterine cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, or if you have recently had an incomplete or "missed" abortion.
Progesterone is sometimes given for only a short period of time, such as 6 to 12 days at a time during each menstrual cycle. Following your dosing schedule is very important for this medication to be effective. Try not to miss any doses.

Progesterone can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Prometrium (progesterone)?
Some forms of this medication may contain peanut oil. Do not use progesterone without telling your doctor if you have a peanut allergy. Do not use progesterone if you have:
a history of stroke or blood clot;

circulation problems;

a hormone-related cancer such as breast or uterine cancer;

abnormal vaginal bleeding;

severe liver disease;

if you are pregnant; or

if you have recently had an incomplete or "missed" abortion.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use progesterone.

high blood pressure, heart disease, congestive heart failure;

migraines,

asthma;

kidney disease;

seizures or epilepsy;

a history of depression; or

diabetes.

Do not use progesterone without your doctor's consent if you are pregnant. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Use an effective form of birth control while you are using this medication. Progesterone can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I use Prometrium (progesterone)?
Use this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not use larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

This medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.

Take the pill form of progesterone with a full glass of water.
Apply progesterone cream to the skin as directed by your doctor.

Progesterone injection is given as a shot into a muscle. Your doctor, nurse, or other healthcare provider will give you this injection. You may be given instructions on how to use your injections at home. Do not use this medicine at home if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of needles and syringes used in giving the medicine.

This medication can cause you to have unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using progesterone.

Your doctor will need to see you on a regular basis while you are using this medication. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

Store progesterone at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.

What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and use the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

Call your doctor if you miss more than one dose of this medication.

What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. Symptoms of a progesterone overdose are not known.

What should I avoid while taking Prometrium (progesterone)?

Prometrium (progesterone) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

sudden headache, confusion, pain behind the eyes, problems with vision, speech, or balance;

chest pain, pounding heartbeats;

migraine headache;

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

a breast lump; or

symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, mood changes).

Less serious side effects may include:

mild nausea, diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps;

dizziness;

mild headache;

muscle pain;

breast pain or tenderness;

cough;

acne or increased hair growth;

changes in weight;

vaginal itching, dryness, or discharge; or

feeling irritable.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.

What other drugs will affect Prometrium (progesterone)?
There may be other drugs that can interact with progesterone. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.

Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about progesterone.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
I was on prometrium for about 12 day to get a peroid, and didnt have any side effects until i went off of it.iam very depressed,worried,weepy you name it i have anyone else have this problem?
I am taking progesterone and i am 4 weeks pregnant.  I am worried about the effects that this medicine can have on my unborn baby.  Has anyone taken this medicine while pregnant and if so what if any side effects did it have on you and your baby,  melinda
I took prometrium during my last pregnancy, I had a MC at 12 weeks with the pregnancy before that one and they wanted to help the baby implant right i stayed on it until 14 weeks just to be safe, I did not really have any side effects that I know of i was somewhat tired, but I was pregnant and had to young children at home. I had my baby healthy and with no side effects and would take it agin if I needed too1 I am currently pregnant again, but did not need to take it this time around (I am currently 23 weeks) I would'nt worry about it too much it is a common drug during pregnancy and can help keep you from miscarrying! Good luck
I miscarried once and because I was 38 I decided to go ahead and insist that my health care provider test me for low prog. (I had three friends all who had several miscarriages due to low prg!)
We did not know that I was already pregnant when they tested me (was then 39 years old) and was 5 weeks along. At that point I was  at a 4 on the progesterone...way to low. You have to be at least a 10 to carry. 3 days later before the test results came in I lost the pregnancy... such a total bummer.... almost....I am now 40 and pregnant again. I insisted on starting on the prometrium the day after ovulation.( Idont usually take ANY pharmaceuticals as I am so sensitive to drugs but I weighed out the two miscarriages and decided to do it.)
  The first week I was on the prometrium I had hives on my face that itched. I went back to the pharmacy and asked what was in the pills , I use them as suppositories, and they said nothing....just peanut oil!!!! I was so stunned! No one told me this! I have a mild to moderate allergy to peanuts, I cannot even imagine if I had had a strong allergy. Also there are links between eating foods that you may have a mild allergy to and this passing the antibody through the placental barrier to give you child your food allergies....
Here is a story on WEBMD
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20101101/eating-peanuts-while-pregnant-may-up-allergy-risk
Some people debate if this is true but why are they not telling women about it?
I had a compounding pharmacy make my suppositories with Methyl cellulose, a type of fiber found in plants and it has been fine....
  If you have any histimine reactions when you eat peanuts, stuffy nose, itchy skin, acne, clearing your throat a lot after you eat it, blotchy skin...all of these may be signs of a mild allergy even if you dont see the symptoms for over 4-8 hours...It takes about 12 hours for me to really see the effects of peanuts on me except the itchy hives on my face (about 2 hours). You still have the option to get the prometrium compounded yourself... it is an extra step but I am at week 14 and going strong.... it is worth the extra effort to not deal with a life threatening peanut allergy....why are they usiing peanut allergy when it is so dangerous for the fetus to be exposed to this antibody? Anybody know?
I just posted another note above but had another question....Please write if you have any advice!!!
I am in week 14 (1/2) and on Prometrium. My Doc/Midwife told me I HAD to get off by week 12. I begged them not to take me off of it all at once. The reason being is that if I miss my dose by more than an hour I get cramping (not severe but definitely noticable) and black hole depression. it takes about 5 hours of missing a dose, (I had a few suppositories come out without me knowing it), and I am completely non-functioning, in bed, in fetal position, sobbing, wanting life to end, depressed.  (this happens without me knowing the suppository has come out so I dont think it is psychosomatic...) If I put one in the depression starts lifting in 2 hours and by 4 hours I am human again.
So I tried to ween myself and take it down from 200mg to 100 mg a day for about 8 days. My moods were unbalanced, I was crying all the time, random moderate cramping, horrible nausea, could not eat at all, and again that horrible black hole depression. SO after asking my doc to continue the script 3x she finally agreed to give me another few weeks.... I am back on 200 mg and doing great! My appetite is ON! And I smile!
Is it so unusual to stay on this for the entire pregnancy? I see that severe depression can cause pre-term labor... (I do meditate, do yoga and go to the gym daily, btw!)
I would like to stay on it just to avoid the  stress that the depression might be causing the baby, alone!
Any suggestions.....? Love your insight, research, experiences....
Nervous at 14 1/2 weeks! But in love with this pregnancy!
Me and my husband were trying for the baby for over a year (I am 35 years old). I have been put on prometrium and the pregnancy came after the 2nd cycle. I was told by my OBGYN to keep taking prometrium till week 13, but in week 9 I developed DVT (deep vain thrombosis) which is the blood clot in my calf.
I am a very active individual, exercising every single day, no obese by any means with a very healthy daily diet.
As some other posts mentioned - be aware of side effects of prometrium. Hope my daily dose of prometrium can be reduced till week 13, but looks like I am stuck with shots to prevent future blood clots till the end of the pregnancy :(
Some one may have already posted this but I did not have time to read every response here. I am having pain below my uterus and on the sides (I am at 15 weeks)...when it is really bad the pain goes down my legs a bit...maybe this is it...it is called the Round Ligaments. They connect the Uterus to the walls. I guess they are stretching. If I am in one position for along time and then when I move they feel REALLY painful or if I am lying flat and cough or sneeze they totally spasm and it is excruciating! It takes a few moments for them to calm down.
This is the other thing I have been told about
www. babyworld.co.uk/information/pregnancy/pregnancy problems It is called
I have not done any research on it but it is the stretching of the pubic in preparation for the pregnancy and birth...it is called
symphhysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD).

There is something else called Braxton Hicks pains and they can happen anywhere in your torso and upper leg area. Not sure what that is all about as I just read it.....hope you figure it out!