Maternal & Child Community
PROMETRIUM SIDE EFFECTS!!!!! OMG!!! IS THIS HOW IT IS GOING TO BE???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My Dr put me on oral progestrone supplements 200 mg once per day yesterday. I took after supper-she said to take with food in stomach. I then felt weak and dizzy and drunk like-that lasted 2 hours then I was fine till bed.

I then became nauseous and sick,it was horrible-I didnt sleep more then 1 hours last night.Vomitted and had diaherria so bad!!It was not a little it was like major flu sick.I still feel horrible, and cramping and if I drink or eat , I get sick again.I know this is from pill, as I was fine up till 2 hours after I took.

Is this any symptoms anyone else has had! I am dreading taking my  dose today-it is going to ruin holidays if I feel this crappy all the time.

I dont even think I am preg. this month, so I hate going through this for nothing. Urghhhh frustrating

Are you taking it for pregnancy or to jump start af.  I have took prometirum 3 times to start my af and I always took it before I went to bed and it has never bothered me.  I took 200mg once per day for 7 days and then af came about 3 days later.  I would call my doctor and ask, just to be sure.  So sorry the first dose was so bad.
I didnt have those side effects.  I took mine right before I went to bed.  I used the suppositories.  Maybe take it before you go to sleep and see if that works!!
I was on the same thing but was taking 400mg a day and I was absolutely miserable! I started at 6 weeks and by the time I reached 9 weeks, I took myself off of them because I just couldn't function! My levels had gotten up high enough and I felt like if it was meant to be than it will be and I am now 30 weeks preggers with a healthy baby girl! How far a long are you? How low were your #'s? I got the headaches and I was throwing up ALL THE TIME!
I too am having some of the same symptoms.  The drunkeness, dizzy, stumbling and slurring of my speech but not cramping or the other stuff.

My husband came home 2 nites ago and thought I was hitting the bottle...just a hour ago downstairs at work someone else also thought I was drinking...LOL

It's weird.  Never had this effect from medicine before.

I know the night my husband found me I passed out at 7:30 and didn't wake up until the alarm went off the next morning....

The joys of trying for another baby
i went for my 1st dr visit yesterday also. after 3 m/c this yr i also and taking prometrium for the 1st time during preg. the dr did warn me of some side effects but, not as severe as described here. glad for the heads up. i did not take yesterday since pharm was out. i will start taking today. found out due date is 08/17. i am scared and excited all at once.
what she told you is correct about stopping at day 28 and then starting if you conceived...my dr told me the same thing although i was not on it prior to pregnancy...she told me to start taking it the first sign of pregnancy and wasn't even sure if that was the problem (3 m/c this yr in 7 mos)

she told me if it was the problem then this should fix it but if it wasn't it couldn't hurt...
What your Doc told you is correct.  My Doc has me to continue to take Prometrium until AF comes.  I also take my 200 mg of prometrium after ovulation until AF and I take it right before I go to bed.  I haven't had any bad side effects except for sore breast and feeling like I am pregnant before AF comes.  That could also still be some side effects left over from my M/C I had Sept. 21.  

Blessings!
I told dr. I wanted to be tested, as I m/c at 7.5 weeks on 10-23 and I was just wanting to be tested as a precaution-The Dr said it wasnt necessary-but I think I whined long enough till I got my way! I just wanted to take every precaution if I got pregnant again-she kept saying that we dont test till after 3 m/c. Well anyways, it came back on day 21 as 7.5. She called me in a precription. said it should be over 10 atleast.

I read all the side effects and it does sat vomiting and diaherria and many other things-but I seriously didnt think I would get it all. I never have had side effects from medicine.

I am going to take this evening right as I go to bed as you ladies suggestion-with crackers and see how it goes.I just know if I can do this for for very long-I will get dyhydrated.

She told me to stop taking on day 28, and if preg. continue till 13 weeks, otherwise dont start again till day 17 if not pregnant. Does that makes since to you guys??

I know If this continues-I am going to have to look at alternatives.Thanks for all your commnents!!
My dr wants to start me on prometrium to regulate periods  im trying to concieve (conceive)  and read somewhere online it could harm the fetus if i do get preg, anyone know more on this???? also  could prometrium help with ttc??  and what are the risks to fetus if i do get preg????  thanx
Hi! Im new to this. I havent had a period in a year, had a DandC, and I didnt have the cancer cells yet but with what my Dr. said that he found there would be a good chance that if I didnt do anything I would get it. So he put me on Prometrium for 6months to see if it would help. Now why is it that everyone here is takin it to help0 with pregnancy. Am on on the right med? Im 26 and have no plans of getting pregnant anytime soon. HELP!
what happens if you decide to stop taking prometrium before you are suppose to?  what kind of effects will this cause?
I am taking Prometrium twice daily and I am experiencing SEVERE dizziness and drunk feeling as well as irritability.  We are TTC and our infertility doc suggested doing Prometrium for 14 days after ovulation and switching to progesterone suppositories if we conceive.  So, you can do the suppositories...I chose the alternate route simply b/c I have done the suppositories before (almost a year and half) and they are messy and caused severe constipation.  However, my doc recommends the suppositories over Prometrium b/c they say they absorb better.  So, you could talk to your doc about the suppositories.  However, only certain pharmacy compound them.
I have been taking it for about a month and a half. This med is driving me crazy. Seems like a cant keep a clear thought in my head i have been forgetting everything. Working has been really hard on me all i want to do is sleep. Its been driveing me crazy. Been having bad pain in my sides when I cough or sneeze. Every side effect that I see posted I can relate too. I think im going to take myself off of it I only have 3 days left so i cant see what it will hurt. Oh yea The reason i am taking it is to support pragnancy. Im going to be 12 weeks friday and the doc said to take it until i am 12 weeks so i think i am going to stop taking it tonight. Has anyone had any extream bloating with this med. I have gained 15 pound sence i have started this med and i haven't changed anything on how i eat. Only thing that i changed is makeing sure that i don't skip any meals.
Robin
OMG!!! I started taking Prometrium a little over a month ago and i have been sicker than a dog EVERY SINGLE DAY!! No matter what i eat or drink its a given that it will probably come back up! Its to the point where i hate to eat or drink anything anymore!! I have to take it for about 3 more weeks until im 13weeks my dr said. But if it means i will be holding a beautiful baby in July then hey its worth it! I have just never felt this way before!!!!
I thought I was having early signs of pregnancy because I had every side effect.  Then my arms started going numb here and there and that's another pregnancy side effect but not until 3 months and on.  I kept taking test and they were all negative.  I woke up one morning with the worse cramps I've ever had and was crying to my mom because I didn't understand.  My side effects started after taking the Prometrium, but my Dr only told me to take them before bed because they make you tired. She never told me about all the other side effects.  I've thought I might be pregnant for 2 weeks now and finally read these side effects and realized  it is just that-the stupid medication.  I'm not going to take them next month because they messed my body up so much.
Yes this medication made me feel like I was dizzy & exhusted all the time until & my Dr recommended    taking it vaginally,    which cut down on the "drama" considerably. I got pregnant within 2 months, so it was worth it. Hope this helps.

Kelly, New Orleans
I have to take 800 mg a day to support my pregnancy..I had to with my other children as well..I never felt so dizzy and tired as I do now..I cant wait until im 12 weeks so I can come off this medication(i'm only 5 weeks now)..My progesterone level was a 15 and they like to see a 20..Last night my husband took me out to dinner, I was falling asleep at the table..I was in bed as soon as we got home..It'll be worth it though..Hang in there ladies!!
I took my first dose of prometrium tonight.  My dr has me on 3 doses a day vaginally.  Fortunately I haven't had any side effects as of yet.  I have a beautiful 5 year old baby girl and I had a chemical preg back in sept them a mc at 11 weeks on Jan 1st.  My Hubby and I weren't planning on getting preg yet but it happened anyway (between 5-6 weeks right now).  My doc saw my level was 12 and said it should be over 18 so i just hope the meds work.  I don't care what the side effects are I want this baby!!!!!!!!!
So, I have been on Prometrium 100 mg (not a large dose by any means) since about 5 weeks pregnant and I am currently starting my 10th week.  The side affects of this hormone drug are almost unbearable at times.  I have constant tiredness, nausea, heart palpitations along with a constant feeling of a pounding heart and anxiety that comes and goes. I have always been sensitive to birth control pills and other pharmaceuticals.  I understand that some of these symptoms are common with the first trimester...but I honestly believe that prometrium makes things worse.  The Dr has not really been helpful in the support dept concerning side-effects.  I am currently experimenting with taking the drug every other day (I take at bedtime but have switched to about 4am so I can get some sleep before the heart pounding ensues about 30 minutes after I take the drug).  My levels have been from 23-25 ng/ml everytime I get tested and I am tempted to stop now and not go the full 12 weeks.
I am a little over 6 weeks pregnant, my doctor put me on prometrium.. I am on 800mg,  (2 pills in the morning, and 2 at night) I had to leave work yesterday because I was so dizzy and I was going numb... my doctor told me it was because I ate too many carbs that day ( 1 yogurt, and a cup of milk). I tried no carbs today, I still got dizzy, although not as bad as yesterday, but I am so tired.... and obvsiouly I can not advoid carbs... Does anyone have any tricks, I've heard take them after you eat, before you eat.... has any found anything that works?  Thank you
I was 10 weeks pregnant when i started takin prometrium because my levels were at 13. I took it until week 13 which is when the placenta takes over. Anyway, the first few days i made my husband drive because i felt so dizzy and weird and was sleeping alot, and after 3 weeks of taking it was sooooo glad to get off it because the side effects were weird. So i'm with ya'll on that.
Glad to read the above posts.  Been on it 1 week and have felt dizzy too.  Thought I was going a little crazy.  I have a "whoosing" sort of feeling that comes and goes.  It all stated when I started the med., so even though its uncomfortable, at least I am sure that that is why i feel strange and spacey and at 12 weeks can stop it.
I suggest that you take vaginally. I took prometrium orally with my first pregnancy and it was terrible. Always sleepy or dizzy. his time the Dr's recommend taking it vaginally and the side effects are not nearly as bad. The worst part is having to wear a panty liner because the medication tends to leak out a little. Also taking it vaginally it is better absorbed by the body since its not broken down in your liver. Hope this helps and  best of luck to everyone!
I just started Prometrium. I'm on 200mg for 12 days....every month. Tonight will be my 5th dose. My dr is a Reproductive Endocrinologist. She has me on them because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant with our 2nd child for over a year. I have irregular periods. Usually skipping 2 months, on a month, and skipping 2 more months, ect. Last night was the first night that I didnt feel drugged on this medication. Ive been alittle dizzy and lightly nauseated since yesterday, but wonder maybe I am coming down with something.... or maybe its more symptoms of the medication. Idk. Anyway, I'm praying that maybe the symptoms of this medication is lightening up for me. I was in shock last night since I didnt feel drugged like usual.... maybe it takes time for our body to get used to this medication.

Other news.... I think I am ovulating. I believe it started after my 3rd dose. Since I wasnt ovulating my dr just told me to start prometrium whenever.... so.... maybe this could be the month I concieve (conceive) my 2nd child! :) My husband deployed to Afghanistan when my son was 6 weeks old. I feel I missed out on sharing the first year of my sons life with my husband. And he has said many times that he cant wait to experience being a father the first year of a childs life. Army life ends in 4 months and we plan to not miss out anymore on any part of each others lives and our families lives :)  Just awaiting our next little blessing! Children are the best part of living! The best blessing God can give!

Praying blessings on all you ladies!
I started on prometrium a couple days ago, I am super bloated, tender breast,frequent urination, seemed to extra hungry,no headaches, kinda tired, skin breakouts, nausea like everyday, and some days i throw up between 1 to 2 times, if not im gagging. So there are a lot of alike symptoms that we are all experiencing. I wish there was a overnight cure. Keep your head up ladies!  
Hi ladies...I'm hoping someone can help.  The doctor has told me I have estrogen dominance and prescribed 100mg prometrium.  I'm not perimenopausal and I'm not trying to conceive so it's been very frustrating getting information.  I only took it for four days and noticed major bloating in my stomach, I felt very lazy, my face has broken out, and every night when I'm just about to fall asleep I'm awoken with a feeling I've forgotten to breath. Sooo...I haven't sleep in 2 nights and have never had insomnia before.  My question is..if you're not taking it to get pregnant or for menopause is there a chance that these symptoms will go away as the hormones start to balance out? Im really afraid of gaining weight as I've been working hard to lose the last 10 pounds...not gain extra. However, if it is just water weight has anyone experienced it going away when the body adjusts? It's funny that the cure for estrogen dominance has made me feel worse than the symptoms i was initially having...have stopped prometrium until I have a more educated reasoning for taking it
Hi, I'm 62 and post-menopausal.  I had a tubal ligation surgery 35 years ago that left me with a severe progesterone deficiency and chronic insomnia which was not diagnosed for many years.  Was taking a bio identical time release yam powder capsules called Progesterone SR, 200mg which helped me sleep for many years until they changed the capsule.  Now taking 100mg Prometrium and was looking forward to it making me sleepy to get regular sleep, but this stuff is wiring me, no sleep at all, can't figure it out.  Years ago I also suffered from estrogen dominance from too high doses estrogen, my Dr said "oops," sorry.  Guess I gotta call my Dr AGAIN!
I'm in the same situation as you girls, only I'm in the final stages of menopause, I'm only 49 so I am suppose to take med. for sleeping difficulties.  I feel very confused and am not sure where to go for info. on Prometrium100MG progesterone. micronized......if you've found anything please let me know!  Thanks girls!!

MrsO
I've just started this too, and I have to say...no fun times here.
I was put on it because after all my years of having a regular period every 28 to 30 days tops...I just stopped having AF...and I was having either nipple discharge or gyn thought I was lactating a little...so I had a battery of tests and still have to do the mammo and breast u/s. She put me on this hellbent ride with prometrium and now I feel worse then before. The first night I took it, I had sex and didnt even know it...had to verify with DH that it really happened and wasnt just a dream...he said he had to put me on the toilet and dress me too!!! the effects have gotten better since the 1st night, but now my breasts are sooooooo sore and i'm having weird pain in my right side, like a bad cramp when I have to use the bathroom and sometimes without having to use it!
I had alot of bloodwork done prior to taking this to find out if I was pregnant or not and I wasn't and all my hormone levels were fine...so she she ruling out peri-menopause, early onset menopause, cancer, and she said this all could be stress as well...
all I know is...I"m scared to death and I don't feel good, I feel bloated and sore like I've been blown up with air and hit with a baseball bat all over.
I guess there is nothing to do but to do as the doctor says.
After reading all the side effects I'm really scared...because it says "breast cancer, uterine cancer...yada yada yada cancer cancer cancer, bloood clots, cancer"
and I have family history off Breast, uterine and ovarian cancer all on my dads side, 3 aunts, each have one form of above cancers, and I had a trumatic emergency a few years ago and I have a history of both leg, lung and a blood clot in my neck....so WTF....why am I on this?
christ I I dont get this.
I am having the exactly same side effects I thought I was losing my baby.  I fell and had to get stitches. I am glad I am not alone.
Try bio-identical progesterone...Women's International Pharmacy...no bad side effects...helps you to sleep, too (at least the lozenges do)...been on 100 mg/day for years due to estrogen dominance...NO side effects at all...dr says lozenges are absorbed better than the cream (numbers got better on lozenges)...
I just wanted to add that in addition to what the above women stated, progesterone has NO side effects what so ever your body makes it naturally and is needed for sucessful pregnancy. You may be given it orally or by weekly+ shot. Okay, now synthetic progesterone DOES have side effects, as it is man made progesterone, and SOME cheaper brands are not as identicle to actual progesterone. Speak with your doctor about the shot in office. I have it weekly absolutley NO side effects, however mine is bio identicle synthetic progesterone. it is very thick and given in the fatty part of the hips(the love handles :)) I see this post is from looong ago but I know women will search this. If you want more legit info on the matter go to the march of dimes website or the fda website and research it, also pill identifier . c o m also will tell you everything about any pill. When going to the march of dimes website type in prevent preterm labor, as I believe thats where I found the info on progesterone and my other shots Ive had to have.
and if I am not mistaken the two are identified as progetrin and progesterone http://www.ehow.com/about_5377622_natural-progesterone-vs-progestin.html.... not the most reputable sit BUT it backs what im attempting to help explain.
Anyone ever had to take it due to TOO much bleeding?  I had a cooper IUD put in and had the normal bleeding stuff for the first 4 months.  But then the last two cycles, I have had a LOT of bleeding (a tampon ever 30-60min) lasting for 24 hours the first time, then next period it lasted for 36 hours like this, then went to a tampon about every 2-3 hours.  My doctor started me on this to see if it would help reset the cycle or something and see if we can get the bleeding to stop.  Otherwise I think it will be time to take out the IUD.  I am so sensitive to BC.  Everything I have tried starts out good, then ends bad :(  I felt fine the first two days of taking the drug, but man I am SO exhausted, and a bit nauseated.  Kind of feel preggo again!  Hopefully this helps and I don't have to take this anymore.  Anyone else ever have troubles with IUD (copper) and bleeding?
I am similar with the prometrium too. Have you found out any more info about Prometrium and how to get through the side effects? I have gained weight and bloated while on my 14 day on. My 14 days off I am not so bad. Cycles have become more regular though. Instead of 2 a month I have one a month so it is helping. Sick of the breast tenderness and bloating and weight gain!
Hi guys. I started taking prometrium 4 days ago and have been extremely sick ever since. I am dizzy and  have the worst headache. Every muscle in my arms and legs are cramping and my heart is pounding. Is this normal?
Due to low levels of progesterone in previous miscarriages, my dr switched my treatment from suppositories (used in the last m/c) to prometrium pills.  I had the 200 mg one capsule twice a day.

My dr suggested to take them as spread as possible.  One in the morning and another before bedtime.  I left the prenat vitamins for lunch.  

When I took the first pill, I felt as if I was drunk.  Very dizzy.  The second time I tried it, I felt very sleepy.  

I called my doctor to find out this was normal.  The prescription states that pills may cause dizziness but I was not sure at what intensity.  

She suggested to cut half doses.  Taking one before bedtime, instead the original 400 mg per day.  

It made me dizzy again but nothing like the first time.  It made me sleepy, but it was before bedtime.

I noticed I started feeling more tolerant and the dizziness went away.  I am still feel a bit sleepy after taking it, but nothing compared to the first reaction.

We increased to the 400 mg again and I have no reactions anymore.  I simply became more aware on how my body reacts and I am more careful in case I feel drowsy.  

So far, the hormone levels seem to be normal.  Although my first trimester symptoms are intense.  I experience very intensified sense of smell, it is very difficult to keep food down, and I tend to have acid reflux so I am on a acid/caffeine/grease diet.  I take maalox ocassionally when foods cause me indigestion.  I often experience a bloated stomach but it changes depending on how many meals I eat through the day and how much food they contain.  

So far, the pills might be contributing to keep the baby alive.  I am on my 11 week which is a miracle in my case.  Baby seems growing up at a normal rate and we are waiting for the NT screening next week.

I am looking forward having the placenta being capable to handle the rest of the pregnancy by its own so I can stop taking the pills.  But that will be depending on what my dr suggests based on results.  

What i concluded is what many have already said, your reaction will depend on how sensitive each person is to the extra hormones.  While in some people will stay intense, in others could decrease symptoms and in other group may not show side reaction.

Good luck to everyone and if you have questions, call directly to your dr and get a second opinion from another you could also trust.
That sounds identical to my case.  All that sounds as the effects of the progesterone and estrogen combo production in the body. Apparently it affects your eating times and it changes habits.  The bloatness seem to come from a slower digestion based in how the hormone relaxed the mouth of the stomach to allow a better absorption of food to be able to distribute enough nutrients to the baby.  I have been googling a bunch of this stuff and the symptoms seem normal.  I am also having the vomiting if not the awful gag reaction for the slightest smell.  I guess out sense of smell becomes ultra powerful to detect sources of infection or threat.  I have no idea.  But what it is true is that it makes life really hard for the first months.  I hope your symptoms calm down as life happens.

Good luck and stay strong.  

I have had prometrium for ttc and for regulating af. Only side affects were dizzy so I always took before bed.  But when ttc I sucessfully conceived twice and both my children are healthy.
It made me have a migraine then I started feeling really sweaty.if this is suppose to help when? How?I am taking myself to gnc
So glad I found this thread! I'm 35 and started heavily bleeding 35 days ago. I've always had heavy periods with clots and after my fourth child was born had a tubal 6 years ago. My dr gave me 200 mg of progesterone a day to take and I feel awful!! Yes on the drunken state and slurred speech. I feel tired all the time and fuzzy. Headaches comes and go and I have anxiety related symptoms too. Heart pounding, heavy breathing, numb limbs and then it all passes and I'm fine, until it's time for another dose. Started taking them at night and it helps but I'm still bleeding! No clots and I'm down to 3 tampons a day (Whoo hoo!), just  hate the thought of seven more days of this. Thought I was going crazy. My stomach is upset because of all the iron and folic acid so I don't know if that's another wonderful side effect or not. Getting ready for a partial hysterectomy next month because of fibroids. Good luck to all of you ladies out there.
Hi ladies!! I am so glad I found this forum!! I too am taking this med due to low progestrone..(.5) i was told by pharmacist to take it anytime, even though the bottle said at  night.  I was picking up my son from school when  I started experiencing extreme dizzyness and almost had a panic attack and almost pulled over.  I just opened the windows, took deep breathes, prayed and just focused the the car infront of e until I got home.  Now I feel nausea and drowsyness.  If i continue to feel this way  will call my doc.  BTW  am taking 200mg orally.