Maternal & Child Community
Pain after ceasing breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pain after ceasing breastfeeding

Stopped breastfeeding a week ago.  Was down to only 1 meal a day at that time.  One breast has several spots or lumps in it that feel like stone.  Any helpful suggestions to ease pain?  I am already using cold/wet cabbage leaves which seem to somewhat help.  How long will it take for my breasts to get back to pre-pregnancy form (as much as possible - hah) and be soft?
No worries... sometimes it takes a month. Don't express the milk cause it will build back up. I did a couple of times because of the pain.. but it goes away. I wore a really tight sports bra during the day with the pads...(did that for about 3 days).. They will dry up and be normal.. well almost normal... :) lol

I nursed my son for 15 months and my daughter for 10 1/2... I was one milk bank thats for sure!! I would have been rich if I could have sold it! lol  Good Luck!
Ihave a question for you guys. I only breastfed for 3 1/2 months and 2 1/2 months part time and I just couldn't do it with school and work. My breast were large and nicely shaped before that pregnancy and when I stopped they shrank up and got wrinkly and saggy. My mom breast fed me for 10 months and her breast were larger than before she was pregnant when she stopped. I am pregnant now,and my breasts look like they did before I was pregnant the first time, my question is: If I breastfeed longer will that help the look of my breasts? I really don't mind the saggy, I just can't stand the small ugly wrinkled look.
Response to your question: Even only feeding for that little time my breasts hurt for about one month after I finished.
i nursed my daughter for 16 months and my son for 12 months(he was a biter).  before i had my daughter i was barely a B.  after nursing both i went to a D.  now pregnant with my third i barely fit into D (overflowing).  my thing is while nursing i ALWAYS wore very supportive bras and shirts.  lucky to say no sagging.  while nursing make sure to wear comfortable and supportive bras, but no underwire.
Great question... I had a friend who use to be as big as i was when we were 20 size D, she has had 3 kids didn't nurse any of her kids and now she is a size B. I on the other hand I did nurse.. and I am the same size.. only now i need a lift kit! lol.. Try nursing for at least 6 months and see.. Breast milk is so much better for them, and a lot cheaper!! Hope I helped.. good luck!
I nursed one for 14 mos, the next for 15 mos and didn't get a wrinkly look, but they did lose their firmness. I plan on nursing this next one for just as long, but I have already decided I am going to be getting some help surgically to bring things back were they were before having our kids ; )

Andi

I stopped nursing 3 weeks ago and now I have a painful lump.  Any thoughts???