Maternal & Child Community
Painful Ovulation while on Clomid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Painful Ovulation while on Clomid?

Has anyone ever experienced painful ovulation, and specifically while taking Clomid?  I recall having pain I thought must have been appendicitis or something bad (it wasn't!) after taking Clomid.  It lasted about 2 days, and felt more like heavy pressure-pain than crampy or stabbing pain.  It even made intercourse somewhat painful.  I have never experienced painful ovulation and was wondering if this pain was most likely associated with ovulating while on Clomid.  I did get end up getting pregnant (with twins!) that week, and just assumed it was ovulation pain.  Thanks!
I have painful ovulation every month and have since I started getting af when I was 11.  I personally don't feel any difference of when I am on clomid and when I'm not.  What a wonderful gift, to have twins!  Good luck to you, I hope this helped.
the robitussin helps to loosen up the mucus, actually the ingrdient guaifenesin.

I found this at a website, hope it helps

Robitussin and it's Effect on Cervical Mucus
Robitussin works on the cervical mucus and increases your chances of getting pregnant
Robitussin is a popular brand of cough syrup and it might be surprising to consider its relation with fertility. But the fact is that this expectorant is used to loosen and thin mucus of a different kind too, called cervical mucus, in women. Robitussin is only a specific brand and any expectorant that contains guaifenesin as the only active ingredient can be used in its place. Generic versions are most likely available as well. Be sure to carefully inspect the ingredients list to make sure the ONLY active ingredient as guaifenesin. Any other ingredients can diminish the effect you are looking for.

What is the recommended dose of Robitussin?
The recommended dose for improving cervical mucus is two teaspoons (200 mg) taken orally three times per day. Recommended dosage is two teaspoons (200 mg) taken orally three times per day. If mucus still appears thick, you can take as the maximum dosage as listed on the label of the cough medicine. Water intake should be increased to encourage cervical mucus production and a full glass should take with each dose of guaifenesin.

If you re taking Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) as an ovulation inductor, it may help to know that it can cause hostile mucus in 30 percent or more of women using it. Higher doses of Clomid tend to be more associated with less cervical fluid and a thinner uterine lining, than the 50 mg dose and Robitussin can help to reverse this.

What cycle days should I take Robitussin?
Most doctors suggest taking Robitussin five days before and including the day of ovulation for a total of 6 days during your cycle.This helps provide the optimal environment to help the sperm survive and get to where they need to go.If you take Clomid, waiting until the day after the last Clomid pill is taken before starting Robitussin is suggested.

Is Robitussin available in pill form?
Guaifenesin is also available in pill format, but this format usually requires a Doctor's prescription. The actual cost of the pill format can be less expensive than the OTC liquid format but when you figure in the cost of the doctor's visit, there may not me much of a savings.

Congrats on twins!  How far into your pregnancy are you?  Just curious, do you think the twins are due to Clomid?  I did my first cycle of Clomid this month, af is late, but bfn!  Still waiting.  I had painful ovulation and intercourse.  Also, had problem with cm.  Can any Clomid users explain how Robitussin works?  Just in case I have to do another cycle next month.  I've seen people refer to it in various posts, but I don't understand how it helps with dryness.  Thanx!
I only took the Clomid one cycle, and I definitely think that it was due to the drug.  We conceived twins, but at an u/s at about 12 weeks, we discovered one had no heart beat.  It was eventually reabsorbed into my body and now we have just the one - a boy!  I am now 33 weeks along now on bed rest and terbutaline for preterm labor!  

Thanks so much for your comments, and best of luck to you all!
Thanks!  You gave me more answers in one post than I've been able to find in a week!  I printed your post for reference.  Thanks again!
Good luck with that baby boy.  I'm jealous, but very happy for you!