Maternal & Child Community
Pap smear during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pap smear during pregnancy

I have my 12 week OB appt next week.  I am wondering if they will want to do a pap smear and if anyone has heard of any risks to having pap smear done during pregnancy?  Would it be better to do it at 12 weeks or later in pregnancy or after I deliver? Thanks!
I dont think I had one early on in my pregnancy. But I know when I had pelvic exams it just made me cramp a bit kinda like BD'ing.
I have had 5 babies and always have a pap and pelvic at my 1st ob which is always around 10-12 weeks. There has never been any problems from it. I think that it is pretty normal to have one then.
I have had pap smears during pregnancy without any problems. If you decide to wait until after delivery you will need to wait at least a couple of months to avoid getting false positive results.
Hey when I was pregnant with me DS My first appt. I was around 12-13 weeks and I had a pap there was no problems at all.. my son is now 13 mo. old and I am TTC #2.. I dont think you have anything to worry about.. I think that if it was unsafe during pregnancy they wouldnt do it in the first place. I think you'll be ok.. Good Luck
I also had a pap smear at my first appointment I thought that was the procedure!!!
Paps are part of the first OB appointment.  They do not hurt the baby.  I actually had three throughout my pregnancy.
I had a pap with both kids--my doctor did it right away to determine if things were normal--discovered both times I was a carrier of the Strep B-so they knew right away at delivery I needed antibiotics in my IV for delivery.  Very Routine--I don't think they scrape as hard when you are pg.
Ditto, pap & pelvic 1st appt. They wouldn't have done it if I had kept my annual appt a few mos b4.