Partial Placenta Previa at 20 weeks
Confused!  All of the internet articles say different things so I am appealing to FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE.  At 20 weeks pregnant I was diagnosed with a partial placenta previa (I am now almost 22 weeks).  The doc didn't seem too concerned and even acted confident that the situation would probably resolve itself before delivery.  Anyway, I was researching the condition on the net and found several sites that recommended bed rest (I am working) for partial placenta previa even if there is no bleeding (like with me).  I also found sites that said you whould abstain from sex until after delivery.  Any thoughts?  Anyone with similar experience who can share their outcome?
Sorry to be such a dugh hugh, but what exactly is it. is it were the placenta is in the wrong place or something like that? Could you please explain to me. Thanks.
Placenta previa is where the placenta is covering the cervix, effectively blocking the baby's "way out".  Delivery is typically by c-section.
That happened to me with my second pregnancy and the doctor just said that we would monitor it and if it didn't move, then I'd have to be put on bed rest. It ended up moving, though, I still had to take it easy and rest ALOT during that process.
I had that too at that stage but with my latest sono at 27 weeks, it had moved up to my belly button.  My dr. said it wasnt severe enough to warrant bedrest and that bedrest doesnt help anyway. Maybe for the most severe bleeding cases but not with the partial.  This has been my experience anyhow.
good luck!
that is kinda what i was thinking.Thanks for the explanation. my aunt has that now too. i knew she had it i just didnt know what it was really called.
* i recon' all i can say to all that have it is good luck. I go tomarrow for the BIG us and hope that i dont get that news.
I was detected with a low lying placenta on to the internal OS at my 22 week U/s. The last U/S I had at 33 weeks showed it had moved up and is now 3.8cm above. But the docs are waiting to see how much more it will move to have a normal delv. They would prefer it to be at least 5cm above.
I was wondering in case one need to go in for a C-section due to this condition or any other emergency, but the placenta is anterior and low, how do they perform a c? I thought you would surely bleed like Glad2beamom.Any experiences.....
Sorry, njroche for asking in your thread, figured I could do it as it is the same subject.
I also had previa ... The Doctor told me as the baby grows up it will pull the placenta up away from your cervics. Thats if its laying on the bottom. Mine has went away...
Please don't be startled, because my experience was horrible, but totally avoidable. My doc was an idiot.

You asked, however, so I'm telling you.

I had previa throughout my pregnancy, was not put on bedrest, and the doctor did not do an ultrasound before my delivery.  He did an ultrasound at my last checkup, and thought that it would be fine to go ahead with my surgery, because the placenta had shifted "a little".  (I was scheduled for a c-section anyway, due to some other issues).  When he cut through with his incision, he cut into the placenta, and it burst.  I almost didn't survive the birth of my son.  My hematocrit went down to 15 (normal for a woman is 35-40).  Hematocrit is the number of red blood cells in your blood.  I literally almost bled out on the table, just because my doc wasn't taking extra precautions.  All he had to do was do an ultrasound immediately prior to my surgery and he would've known to cut somewhere else.  I had 3 blood transfusions...and fortunately, eventually, everything was fine.  

I tell you this to make sure that you keep your doctor on his toes...and if you feel something should be different with your care, then get a 2nd opinion.  You are your own best advocate.
Typically, with placenta previa, they do an ultrasound prior to a c-section.  But, normally by the time you get ready to deliver, they are aware of your condition, and are taking precautions.

Just make sure you stay on top of your own health.  
Good luck--
I had it and was ordered for bedrest till it was over
The alternative for my surgery was for them to make a vertical incision, instead of the normal, bikini line horizontal one.  Believe me, I would've been thrilled to have a scar if it would have prevented what happened.  Great question!