Maternal & Child Community
Pedicure during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pedicure during pregnancy

I know this is probably a crazy question, but I read in a book one time, that it was not safe to get a pedicure during pregnancy because there was a certain spot on the bottom of your foot, that if stimulated too much it could cause you to have contractions.  Now, my questions are, has anyone else heard of this, is this only towards the end of pregnancy or all through, and do you think it is ok to get a pedicure from time to time.  My feet are starting to hurt, and getting rough due to the cold weather.  A little pampering sure would feel nice :).  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch!

Oh and I am fixing to hit the 15 week mark....
i haven't heard of that, but i do know several friends who have contracted various infections (both fungal and bacterial) while getting pedicures. make sure it's a place you know and trust well.
I heard about that but I think it's in late pregnancy.
Something about foot massage stimulating a spot that can contract the uterus or something like that
This is not a myth.  There are pressure points in your ankles that will trigger contractions if they are stimulated.  This holds true for the duration of pregnancy.  I get pedicures often (this is my 2nd pregnancy) and I tell them to avoid my ankles when they rub my feet.  If they just rub the bottoms, you should be okay. When I was 39 weeks pregnant with my first, I went in for a pedicure and begged the girl to put me into labor.  She massaged my ankles for 30 min. and the moment I walked out of the salon, my water broke!  Call it coincidence if you wish, but I believe the pedicure did the trick.  Enjoy the pampering, but forego the ankle massage for another 22 weeks or so!
i have heard that pampering yourself  with a foot massage is good i dont think that it would do something to you though i read that in a magazine,but i dont remember which one
Thanks!  I thought it was true, but just need to some reassurance.  It is only the ankle area though, nothing on the bottoms?  That is wonderful, b/c the bottoms are what hurt so bad!  I sppreciate the response from all of you ladies.
MY DOC GAVE ME THE O.K. TO HAVE PEDICURES AND MASSAGES I GOT A MASSAGE ONCE A MONTH.  I DO MASSAGE AND I HAVE HAD CLIENTS COME AND HAVE ME TRY TO RUB THEN=M INTO LABOR.  THAT'S FUNNY WHO KNOWS IF IT WORKED OR NOT?
I love pedicures also.  I got my final one the day before I was induced, call it crazy I wanted pretty toes for the delivery--but yes it is a wonderful way to relax and got the full treatment--I think the way they rub at least at my salon would never bring onlabor for they don't actually massage just rub lotion in.  I would say go for it--if they speak english (my salon is foreigners working there)  if they have any requirements for pg women.
that is about how it is here unless you can afford to pay top dollar for treatment...LOL.  I do go to one where they can at least speak a little english, so I will ask.  Anyway, I am glad to hear that others do it and that it seems to be ok.  I do agree with knowing where you are going though b/c of bacteria and whatnot.  Did anyone ever see that episode on like Dateline or something where those women went to a salon and got pedicures and their legs where all scared up from bacteria and mess?  YUCK!  Anyway, thanks for all the comments, I think I am going to go indulge :)!  Best of luck to everyone!