Maternal & Child Community
Peekawho and anyone else who can answer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Peekawho and anyone else who can answer

Good morning.  Let me first apologize that this is so long and thank you for taking the time to read it...

I have a history of blood/protein in my urine and have had several cytologies, a CAT scan and cytoscope done to rule out any ominous cause.  There was never any cause given, just told that it was just what my body does.  I also had some blood during both previous pregnancies.

Now, with this pregnancy I have 3+ blood (and occassionally some protein) at every visit -- the new nurse at my last visit thought I was spotting (which I wasn't and have not at any point during this pregnancy) b/c of the blood.  I told her it was likely in the urine and to check previous tests...which did reveal that it has been present throughout.  FYI, I have no swelling and my bp is always between 110/70 and 120/70...

Now, my fundal height is measuring close to 2 weeks ahead (my doctor told me big, but expressed no concern).  She felt my abdomen and said I have plenty of fluid.  I have mentioned to her earlier in the pregnancy that I haven't really had an increased need to urinate (although I may have always gone a lot, so maybe wouldn't have noticed?).

I guess I'm just worried that a) I may be having too much amniotic fluid and that's why I don't need to pee so much and/or b) that my kidneys are being stressed and worried about the impact of that for baby and me.

What would I need to watch for as far as too much amniotic fluid and what would the affects be on baby?  And I guess if you even think that the blood/protein have any reason to cause concern or any relation to the amount of amniotic fluid...

Once again, sorry this is so long, just want some advice.  THANKS!!
Anyone have experience with too much amniotic fluid?  What would symptoms be and what would I need to watch for?

I actually feel pretty darn good and am not looking for a reason to worry...but I've had things missed before and just want thoughts on if there is any type of correlation between low urine output, blood in the urine and excess amniotic fluid.

I'd welcome any and all comments...thanks.
I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer you.  I had high end  amniotic fluid levels with my 1st pregnancy but no other problems.  
Hope you can find some answers.
symptoms of too much amniotic fluid include discomfort in the abdomen and sometimes contractions.  Your doc can tell if you have too much by performing an u/s.  Not sure about ur not having to pee as often as being a condition or not.  

The affect on the baby I think would be pre term delivery/premature rupture of amniotic sac.  It can also cause birth defects so please have this checked out by u/s right away if you believe you may have this condition.  

I am also not sure about how blood protein levels would affect this.  Good luck.
Just wanting to bump for Peekawho (and anyone who can help) to see...thanks!
You can't really tell if you have too much fluid without an ultrasound.  And if you do, it has nothing to do with your needing or not needing to urinate as much as usual.  

Sounds like the blood in your urine is a long standing problem, as you well know.  If you have such a problem, its often important to drink more fluids than you normally would.  

The only real symptoms of too much amniotic fluid that you would notice is a massively enlarged uterus that is irritable (lots of contractions all the time).  Women who have this are usually quite uncomfortable.  

Sorry I can't add much more.  If you are measuring farther ahead, an ultrasound is often done to find out why.
Thank you so much for your reply...I actually feel pretty good for carrying around a basketball.  No contractions and what seems like normal uncomfortableness w/ pregnancy.

And, yes, the other issues have been long-standing and not just during pregnancy...I was just worried that perhaps there was a correlation and I was too complacent!

Thanks again for your very valued advice!  Have a great weekend!