Pelvic Rest
I was diagnosed with placenta previa at 10 weeks.  I had full covering at that point and was placed on pelvic rest and was told that the majority of situations resolve them selves by 20 weeks.  At 20 weeks the placenta had moved to a placement of 1.9 cm from my cervix but not enough to discontinue pelvic rest or be in the clear for delivery.  As attentive as my doc seems to be nothing is explained to me, I am just given my instructions and expected to follow them.  Now at 23 weeks my unanswered questions are weighing on me, being an analytical person, and I have not had sex with my very understanding and supportive husband for 13 weeks.  I was wondering if anyone knows what the risks are of having intercourse in my condition are?  Why pelvic rest is ordered?  Are my docs being over cautious now that the placenta is not over the cervix but off to the side?
Please don't risk it. It would not be worth it if something bad happened. This may seem like a long wait but there will be many opportunities to have sex with your husband in the future. There are other things the two of you can do to be intimate. If he is being understanding, then he should be able to hold off and help you cope with it as well. Have a nice bubble bath together, touch, oral, kiss, etc...until you get the clear. It's just not worth it. I'm sorry you're going through this but the wait is worth it for the health of your baby.
The risks could involve hemoraging which in turn could cause death to you and/or your baby.  I was put on pelvic rest at 20 wks and bedrest at 26 wks due to placenta previa.
I went into preterm labor and also hemorraged even when I followed my Dr's instructions.
It's not worth taking the risk.    
I was on pelvic rest as well and was too afraid and embarrassed to ask so I stayed on it the entire pregnancy!!!  I also had an early placenta previa at 12 weeks that moved up.  The risk involves bleeding.
Good luck to you!
There are other ways to fulfill your husband sexually without involving your pelvic region.  
why risk it!?!?!?
My daughter is 22weeks and just called me SCARED TO DEATH, because she miscarried her last pregnancy very early on. She's named her little girl Jenna and has a 4yr old daughter that is beaming at being a big sister with a baby sissy... I work for my daugthers primary care provider and she's asking me. While our physician here use to specialized in OB, she hasn't now for at least 5yrs and my daughter is asking me what can and can't she do, how does this related to 'bed rest'? she also has a 3yr old step son and both the kids jump on her and demand an enormous amount of attention. I just don't know HOW she's to do nothing.. so what... can she do or not do?