Maternal & Child Community
Pelvic Size and Delivery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pelvic Size and Delivery

I have a strange question. I tried looking things up on line and had a hard time finding anything. I was an emergency c-section and my brother was a planned c-section. My mom's pelvis was too small to deliver vaginally. What are the chances I could have the same problem? We are not tiny people. My mom is 6"1" and I am 5'10". She isn't super skinny, just average (she was huge when she was pregnant) and I am maybe 15-20lbs chubby. I was going to bring it up to my dr, but my appt isn't until Halloween. Thanks.
Well, I found out with this one that my pelvis is too narrow to give birth naturally too.  So I am planning a C-section...I am not going through all that labor again if I dont have to.  Anyway - my dr. with my DS either didnt notice it or didnt worry about it too much since it was my first.  But this go around my (new) dr. told me right away to plan on a C-section cause my pelvis was too narrow.  So I would say ask your dr.  but I was asked when I had my first DS if my mom had c-sections or not and I said no.  So SOMETIMES it does go by what your mother did.  Not always the case though!!  Good luck to you and I hope you can have a natural birth!!
I am 4'10" and never had much in the hip dept. I asked my dr, and she said I had as much chance as anyone else to deliver vaginally. My mother had an emergency c with me and planned with both my sis and my bro. My grandmother however had no problem delivering 7 vaginally. I think if the baby where the size it is now when I deliver (God forbid) then vag would be alright.....but honestly I think I am going c-section. I have no room to push this little guy out! Especially if he is born with daddy's head!! HaHa
I would ask your Dr. when you go in, don't stress about it now, you still have plenty of time.  I know with my son they were not worried at all.  I'm a small person, not tall, not overweight, but I delivered a large baby.  I think it depends on the inside anatomy, not how big you are.  I would just tell your Dr. about your mom's history,hust in case.  Good luck on your appt.!
I am 5'10'' and due November 1st.  My dr hasnt said anything about a c-section.  But everyone else tells me my hips are too narrow.  Hmm....I guess Ill find out soon enough!
My mom had way too narrow of a birth canal to have me and my brothers the old-fashioned way, so naturally, when i got prego with my ds, i thought i wouldn't be able to have him that way. It turns out, i did! No c-section here! I  think it comes down to you personally, how your body is constructed, the size of your baby, not your mom's history. Just bring the topic up at you next OB/Gyn appointment, see what your doc says. Best wishes to you! :)
Im also 4'10", and delivered my daughter vaginally. She did get a little lodged in there, but came out with a perfectly round head, no coning, or bruising. Her head was so perfect that people even thought I had a C-section. The Dr. and nurses even said her head was kind of big. It really does just depend on the physical shape of your pelvis, not your body size. Are your hip bones built like your mother's? If you are really worried, you could ask your Dr. if there is a way he can evaluate your risk of C-section.
Hey ladies, those who  found out their hips(birth canal) would not accomodate the baby, do you have narrow hip externally, or is something the doctor found out in an internal check up?

I was wondering if I should check with my Obg too. My mom had all three of us vaginally and not even a stitch.
I too have a broad hip(proportionate to my shoulder), but not sure how is it inside.This is my first one too.
I know it depends on the internal size and shape of my pelvis. The only reason I added our size was because I don't think anyone would ever think we would be too narrow for delivery. I just didn't know if anyone had the samething happen.