Maternal & Child Community
Pelvic pressure and tightness 21 weeks - is this normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 21 weeks pregnant (my first) and so far everything has been great. The last week though, I've been experiencing a lot of pressure and tightening of my pelvic muscles right above the pubic are. Sometimes it feels like slight contracting and sometimes it's just pressure and a general feeling of tightness. I've been to my dr and all seems normal, fetal heartbeat, my blood pressure, urine, etc. I haven't had any spotting. Has anyone else ever felt anything like this? Thanks in advance, I'm really worried!
ya my friend is expecting her baby end of august .. she is experiencing the same thing tightness n pain n her lower abdomen  she even somethimes  feel pain in her pelvic bone  b/c of pressure .her doc told her baby's head is little low then the normal thats why she is experiencing this pain but nothing to worry .
i'm a little over 22wks now and i have a lot of pelvic soreness.  sometimes, if i walk a little too long it feels as though my pubic bone is on fire.  you could be having braxton hicks contractions.  they are just practice contractions for when the big day comes.  if you get them, i was told to drink water and lie down on my left side, or go for a walk, if they don't get worse or go away they're nothing to worry about.  do you sleep with a body pillow?  i have one that i use and have found it very helpful.  keep a pillow between your knees when lying down and see if it helps.  i know on the nights that i push it off the bed and don't use it my pelvis and hips hurt quite a bit the next am.  this is baby #3 so sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to see what works for you.  good luck to you and your little one.
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Sometimes I feel it the most when I feel the baby kicking then I'll feel this tightness in that area adn the feeling then moves around a bit. Could it be the baby already applying that much pressure on my muscles? thanks again!
I felt this both times with my pg's.  It was that my hips and pelvic region really hurt for a few days--it was that my hips were starting to expand to get ready for birth--I still went a week over both times--it is probalby just your bodies way of telling you to take things slower and easier--the baby is getting bigger and needs the room..unless you get major spotting or major pains and fever just relax.
I too get pelvic pains and tightening, sometimes it is because until about 24 weeks the baby is still sitting low, the pain I have discovered is worse if my bowel is full or I need to pee, I think the baby lies on the bladder and bowel, also when he starts to move around and kick my bladder!
Thanks emcy2. I have the same feeling, when the bowel or bladder is full. The tightness seems to be getting a bit better than the weekend but worsens everytime I walk or sit up straight for too long. I'm trying not to worry, but I can't help wonder if this is somehow going to induce preterm labour. I see my obstetrician on Monday so I'll see what he says!