Maternal & Child Community
Penis in my 4 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Penis in my 4 month old

My 4 month old's penis is way back inside his skin. he has be circucised but still his head cant be seen unless I pull his skin all the way back and now it is red , what is wrong and is this normal?
if u are concerned take him to his gp,
I did take him to his gp and he says just wait and watch it. My sister  told me of her gp an I'm going to change his gp , I hope she will be more of a gp.....its hard to find a good gp around here.............................have you ever heard of his before, a 4 month olds penis being like that?
It is nothing to be concerned about, it is as a result of the fat pad. Just make sure that you clean his penis daily, push on either side to pop it out and wipe it down.
My SIL was concerned about her babies penis for the same exact reason---she thought it still had way too much skin left after his circumcision.She took him to a different ped and she told her it was just fine---he would grow into what looks like "too much" skin. Apparently, its much worse to take off too MUCH skin, and as their penis grows, it won't look like there is so much foreskin eventually.

As far as the redness, maybe let him "air out" for a while each day. And make sure it is completely dry after a bath. If the redness persists, he should see a Dr.It shouldn't be abnormally red.
Because my son is a big boy, he has a very chubby pubis area.  His penis stays retracted into the fat pad.  He is circumcised (sp?) but the skin on the shaft actually starting attaching to the head of the penis because it is always retracted.  When I noticed this, around five months, his doctor said that it would hurt him to pull it apart and she wasn't going to do that in the office-that he could be re-circumcised when he was older, if he chose to.  She did say that after baths, when the skin was soft, to massage the skin away from the head.  That over time they would separate.  And they did, but the area was and still is red.  I put Neosporin on it every now and then as per her direction.  And I still have to check it daily to make sure the areas are not attached.  At every diaper change I do as AndiJ suggested and push on either side of the fat pad to 'pop out' his penis to clean it.  This never ever seemed to be hurting my son or I wouldn't have done any of it.

I think your son is just fine.  I understand your concern, though.  
Make sure you pull the skin down gently and wash it daily.  
I thought the little boy that I watched was uncircumcised until I brought my son home and he had the same thing.  Right around 1 year, his started to pop out and look normal.  I guess it just got big enough.  I hope my sons does the same!  I know I shouldnt be worried, but I cant wait for it to be "normal" so I can stop thinking about it.