Maternal & Child Community
Pepto and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pepto and Pregnancy

Ok, I am freakin out right now! I told my mom that I have been so nauseous for the past 2 weeks and that I have went through a bottle of pepto and she freaked out saying that it had aspirin in it and that I cannot take that. Is this true? Aspirin causes birth defects, so i am really hopin I didnt cause any damage. I thought I remember my old dr. telling me to take some pepto for heartburn if I needed it. Is there anything else I can take that is safe for nausea during pregnancy. I am 7w1d today. I have tried all the MS remedies and all without fail. :( I feel so sick I cannot take it. I have stayed in my PJs for the past week because I literally cannot move that much without feeling sick. I wish I could just throw up and feel better! (sorry, tmi)!!! Anyway, please share anything! HELP!!!!
~nauseas Amber!!! :(
Yes, you should have told your doctor you are having m/s. There are medicines that they can give you to make it go away.

Pepto Bismol is a class C drug during pregnancy. I have to take two class C drugs everyday to live during my pregnancy and my daughter is fine so far. It does however contain a form of aspirin. I wouldn't worry yourself. Don't take it again and make sure you tell your doctor that you did take it.
Do you know what the names of the medicines are? I am desperate! Thanks for the info, i just hope everything is ok with my baby.
I'd cut the pepto out asap. But don't freak out too much! :) It isn't good for pregnant women, but I would say you and baby will be fine...just don't take anymore! You can take Emetrol for nausea and m/s....it's an OTC med. I think it comes in lemon and cherry. I had the lemon and it's super thick but if you can handle nasty pepto you can handle anything! lol
The medicines they will give you wont be Over the counter. Phenergan is what they will try out first and probably some vitamin B6.
As for OTC stuff you can take Emetrol and unisom, thats what my doctor told me. Maybe those will help till Monday.
As long as you aren't in your 3rd trimester pepto is a category C. Once you hit your 3rd trimester its a category D, but I'm assuming with m/s you are in your first.
Yes, pepto is not advised during pregnancy, but there are some Rx's that can be prescribed and some OTC remedies...

1.  Zofran (I was on both times) is a Rx, kind of expensive, but worth it

2.  Vitamin B12 + (I forgot the other thing, but it's primary use is to help sleeping)...my friend used it and it worked for her and she said it didn't make her abnormally sleepy either.  

3.  You can always try Mylanta or Maloxx.
Hey, at least you're still pregnant, right?! Maybe this is God's way of letting you know that this pregnancy is a good one. Did you get a new Dr. yet? I was told by my Dr to take asprin during both of my successful pregnancies because I have a clotting disorder. I can't stand Pepto, so I didn't know you couldn't take it. You probably did no harm. Just stick to the list your Dr.'s office hands out of what's ok, oor call the Dr. if you want to take anything else.
If tastes bother you, put a little plain table salt on your tongue. I read that somewhere, and it really worked for me. Also, try not to let your stomach get empty. Eat plain crackers or bread, dry, without drinking anything right away. After your stomach settles a little, sip a little water. Make sure it's not too cold. Even if you have to do this all day, it's better than nothing. Also, if you feel dehydrated, call your Dr. Sometimes staying dehydrated makes it worse. If the Dr. will rehydrate you, you may feel better.
Yes, there are other, better remedies that your doctor can prescribe.  Don't sweat it.  Aspirin does not cause birth defects.  There are women on low dose aspirin during their entire pregnancies.  If it is taken in large doses for prolonged periods of time, as with any drug, there can be problems.  

Doctors used to give pregnant women a list of things they can take over the counter.  Don't they do that anymore?  
My first OB who wasn't high risk gave me a whole book with a bunch of stuff in it and in there was a list of things you can take and NOT take. So I dunno. I guess it depends on the doctor. :(
My midwife gave me some homeopathic stuff that really did the trick. We even used it during labor cause I was vomiting. I dunno what it was called but it was white lil pellets that u put under ur tounge. They even tasted good! Maybe ur doc will know of it. Good luck!!
Oh dear...ummm, ok, the pepto is in the trash as I type this! Thanks for all the info. I am calling my dr. first thing monday and asking for some good m/s stuff. You ladies are all so helpful! Thanks a ton! I just need some kinda of relief! My poor DH and DD are really needing me and I just cannot get well! Anyway, yall have a good night and thanks again!
amber we are all so different as to what works for our m.s.   i used the sea bands, they didnt make it completely better, just managable.  i drank juices that were sweet.  i had to keep a little something in my stomach, if i were to become hungry it was worse.  i also sucked on peppermint lifesavers at times.  its worth trying all suggestions till you find what works for you.  like the previous poster said, be glad you feel this, means you have a little baby growing in there!!!
Most Dr.'s at least around here don't give a list anymore, they ask you to call the nurse before you take anything other than Tylenol.  I even stayed away from the Sudafed becasue of the lack of studies on pregnant women plus they way it works.  I work in a pharmacy though so I have lots of advice coming at me no matter what.  It was nice during my pregnancy except I literally did not take anything but Tylenol.  I even waited out the m/s, but maybe I should have taken the zofran.  Have heard wonderful things about it and the gals that get it seem really well.  I tried sea bands and they helped a lot with my first one, like the above poster, it didn't stop the m/s but made it managable.  My second one that ended in m/c and my third one that was successful the bands did not help at all.  Talk to your Dr. before you try any otc medications and just keep something in your tummy.  It did help me alot to get up and dressed and out of the house each day too.  Sounds funny but if you look better you feel a little better.  I hope it passes soon for you.