Maternal & Child Community
Period after D & C, how long?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Period after D & C, how long?

Hi there,

I had a D & C on 7th Dec 2007 as scan at 8 weeks showed only a sac and no baby. I have now been waiting nearly 6 weeks for my period to come but nothing. In my self I feel fine and my partner and I started to try again 2 weeks after D & C. Before I fell pregnant my period were regular being 28 days every month and it only took me not even 2 months to fall pregnant after coming off the pill. I am concerned that my period has not come back, I am 31 and just so desperately want a baby. Like most of us on this site we see it happening to everyone around us and at the moment with no period I wonder if I will ever be normal again let alone have a baby! When should I start to worry, or go & see my Doctor. I have done 2 pregnancy tests last week as I thought I may be pregnant but both were negative. Is it possible I could still be pregnant but it was too early to show. Help, I feel so frustrated and scared.

Natalie
My period came 4 weeks after my D&C, but I have seen other women take 11 weeks sometimes.  It's good that the pg test is negative, maybe that means you'll be getting your period soon.  I charted my temps also to see where I was in my cycle the month of my D&C
Hi! I too had a D&C on December 7 and have not had a period yet.  I was getting positive preg. tests up until this week and we are now tracking my hormones. I just got a call from my doc. and they are at 27 today and were at 31 on Thursday so they are taking their sweet time to drop.  I was 13 weeks 4 days when I miscarried so they were very high levels so it's taking awhile to come down but I feel you pain. I'm in the same boat as you.  THE WAITING GAME.  I've had some brown spotting.  My doc. just informed me that neg. means it is below 30 as most home preg. tests don't pick up lower than 30.  I would call your doc. I called mine last Thursday and they had me come in that day and now we're testing every other day to see where we're at.  UGH....  Honestly, chances are you are not pregnant and your levels are just still coming down as mine are.  Keep us posted.  I feel for you as my D&C was the exact same day.
Hi ya,

It does help to know people are going through the same thing. I think I will take your advise and go back to my Doctors at the end of this week, if still no period. However the Drs here in the Uk don't seem to do as much as in USA based on the info on these sites. I will still speak to them to see what they say. This was my first pregnancy and in a way for me it seems to make it harder as I have nothing to compare it all too, and no way of knowing if I will go on to have a healthy baby, no comfort in that fact. Oh listen to me feeling sorry for myself, I'm sure it doesn't matter how many kids you have when this happens, but now this waiting is torture. I am considering a holiday to take my mind off things but that brings worries with it, what if I fall pregnant while or before I go away and so on.

Please call keep me posted on how your doing.

NatB31

Still no period, now nearly 8 weeks, going back to the Doctors this week I think.

Has it taken anyone esle this long for periods to come back after d & c and they now are all normal and have a child.

Help I feel like there's something seriously wrong with me!

NatB31
Hi everyone,

Knew I wasn't right, I;m now booked in for my second d & c tommorrow after I was referred to consultant by Drs and he said after scan that there was retained matter still. Can't believe I have to go through this again. so scared that this second op will cause damage. fingers crossed this time they will get it all and I will fall pregnant soon after.

Energy train how you going? I hope you have since had a period and are back on track not like me.

Any advice on people who have had 2 d & c's in a row would help me greatly.

I had a D & C on Jan 29, 2007.  Afterwards, I had bleeding for about 4 to 5 days.  The bleeding completely stopped along with the cramping and everything else.  I didn't have any type of cramping or bleeding for 4 days, until this morning.  I am bleeding pretty heavily.  It is possible that this leftover from the D & C, or could this be a period already?  My doctor told me that my first period could come very early or very late, but I didn't really expect it to show up a little over 2 weeks after the D & C.  Just curious if anyone else has had the same or a similiar experience.
Correction on my previous post:  D & C January 29, 2008....One of these days I will get used to the New Year!

Hi there,

It could be a period already, it seem everyone is different so there is no hard & fast rules on anything. I had my second d & c on Friday 8th Feb 08 and my Consultant told me to expect my period this time between 3-4 weeks. I am booked to see him after my holiday on 6th March, so hopefully I will have had a period by then or fallen pregnant.

I would say to not worry but just give you body time to recover and if you are worried go back to your Dr and do not let them dismiss you. We know our bodies better than anyone else so if you are worried then go back.

Good luck

Natalie

Thanks so much for your support.  It is amazing how having a miscarriage can affect you.  Just the other day I was at the store and I was so sad, that I almost started crying...not even sure why.  I didn't see a baby or hear a baby or see anything baby related.  I agree that we know our bodies better than anyone else.  I am sorry that you had to have a 2nd D & C, but I am hoping for the best for you.  

Good luck on future pregnancies.  We are trying again also, but I am pretty scared of having another miscarriage.  I guess I just need to know that this is outside my be ability to control!

Kate
I didn't realise at the time, but my Doctor wasn't really that forthcoming about the info I might need after my d & c (on 4th Feb 2008). I think at the time I was in a state of shock and the questions only came afterwards. He did tell me to use protection until my checkup 6 weeks afterwards (didn't say why but I assume he wants to know if everything is okay before I try to get pregnant again), but didn't tell me when relations could resume. I've been combing the internet for extra info on how soon is the best time to start trying again and of course there is a lot of conflicting info. I am still spotting and it's been 16 days now... is that normal? Another issue is that I have never been that regular and have long periods so it's hard to gauge when to try. I just turned 30 and really want a baby too Natalie (and anyone else out there) so I know how hard it can be sometimes. Especially when friends and family (and even strangers) around you are falling pregnant and having healthy babies.

Rachel C
Hi Rachel,

Lots of sites say you have to wait till you have a one or more periods before trying again. The hospital said to me after my first D & C to wait for one cycle but more for dating, but when I spoke to with gyno he said see how you feel, and to be honest he knows more as he deals with this every day. I would say listen to your body, you will know when you feel like resuming relations. This time after my second D & C I only waited a week, it was alot gentler than the first and bleeding stopped after only a few days. So fingers crossed this time my body is going back to normal. If you are still spotting a little then maybe wait till you have stopped but if your unsure go back and ask, I know how you feel your head is in such a spin and you want to be close to your partner for comfort and trying again seems to be the only way to help you deal with what you have lost.

I do really feel for you. Keek me posted on how you get on.

Natalie
The waiting game is the worst. Here is my story in brief: I had 2 miscarriages at 12 weeks back to back in 2002. After the 2nd D & C on December 11, 2002 it took me until the middle of April 2003 to have my period. We eventually got pregnant & now have 2 girls. We started trying again last year, spring 2007 & miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. The D & C was once again on Dec. 11 & now it is Mar 2008 & still no period. I've taken a 10 day dose of progesterone to get the period going & still no period. It's just the waiting game so I feel for all you ladies. The body just takes time to heal & waiting for that to happen is the hardest part. Try to enjoy being with your husband alone. Once you have kids you'll wonder what that was ever like. It's hard to enjoy the time with your spouse when you want kids so badly but at this point you are doing everything you can do.
Hey everyone,

I feel for you all a miscarriage is the worst exp I have ever been though and no one really knows how you feel until they have been there them self. I miscarriaged a 6 weeks 1 day (first pregnancy) but didn't find out until I was ''11 weeks'' was booked in for a D/C on Thurs 29th Jan 2009. I bleed for about 1 week and after that I started trying again. I have taken 6 pregnancy tests and one blood test from my doctor!!! 3 test were Positive and 3 were Negative, the blood test also come back Negative. I believe in my body and heart I'm pregnant again. I have been feeling sick, tried and going a loo a lot even though the night! My doctor said about of the blood test I'm not pregnant but haven't had a preiod (period) for 6 weeks now. I'm goona give it untill 8 weeks and then go back to my doctor, I really just want a baby and pray I do not have other miscarragie again I don't think I'm strong enough.
I'll keep you all up dated!

Has anyone else had this exp and actually been pregnant?

Good luck to all those trying I really know how hard it is! X
Hi ladies.

Sorry to hear there are so many of us out there that have suffered the loss of a baby, life can be so cruel sometimes. I found out on the 4th june this year that i had lost my baby and went in for a d&c on the 7th. I only had bleeding after for a max of 4 days and it was very light (more like spotting). I thought it was all ok until yest when i sterted bleeding!! Its heavier than it has been throughout the whole thing and i'm slightly worried?! Just want advise really on whether this could possibly be a period, even though its so soon, or is there something i should be worried about?! I hope someone can put my mind at ease.

Thanks,
Lisa
I found out the I had miscarried on June 6/10 and they had me scheduled for my d and c on June 11/10.  I was only bleeding for two days with minor cramps, and then it completely went away on June 13/10.  On June 16/10 I woke up to heavy bleeding and very severe cramps.  I called my ob right anway and they told me that I could have just over done it and to relax.  I was telling them that as a teenager this is how my period would be every month.  They said that the d and c can play around with your period and that I could be just having my period.  As the week went on I really believe that it is my period even though it is really soon after my d and c.  If you are really worried about it I would call your doctor, they may want to see you.  The only thing my doctor said to worry about is if you have to change your pad every 1-2 hours then you should seek medical attention.
I hope this helps and I am soo sorry about your loss
I dont know how you are all coping but I am in such a severe depression that I cant get out.  I am so sad that I miscarried at 13 weeks that I feel as though I am going to be sick all the time.  I miscarried on MOTHERS DAY!  WOW right!  I am so angry at everything all the time especially the women around me that are getting married and falling pregnant that I want to close out everyone and just be by myself.  It helps to know that there are people out there that are going through the same thing but lets be honest ... everyone deals differently right?  I mean it is ok to feel grief.  My sister called me damaged and that I am a stupid girl ( ps I am not a girl I am a grown *** woman!  at 31 yrs old...)  I wanted to pluck out her eyelashes one by one that is how pissed off I am at her!  DAMAGED really!  I just want to have a normal life that includes a child.  MY child.  Not an adopted one.  I know that sounds selfish and maybe it is but I want to have the experience of having a child sooooooooooo bad that it hurts .  Physically and mentally it hurts.  Draining the life force out of my heart.  I have this wall up around me that I dont want to let down.  I am enough of a failure that this one thing set me over the top.  I hate my husband to be ( we have been together for 13 years on saturday this month the 10th of july) I hate him for not giving me a ring ever and for getting me pregnant only to have it taken away from me.  I know that I am at fault in someway that I will never understand but I dont know how to get up and be happy anymore.  Life is full of ups and downs but this miscarriage has torn down to the very last bit of self confidence that I had.  Now I cant work and I cant get disability because it is not a disease so no money coming in means that life just got a lot worse.  One income and it is not mine.  I was a successful nurse for 13 years (almost) but now I cant stop thinking that I am the worst person ever to even grace the world.  Sadness now envelopes my lifeforce and I dont really know how to stop it from doing so.
Hi, I just had my 3rd miscarriage in 2 years, I had a D and C 2 weeks ago, my HCG levels are back to zero and I am waiting for my period to come...I really hope it doesn't take nthat long so we can try for a baby again. I just don't want to give up my hopes, I know God has a plan for me and always listen to my prayers.
I am a little depressed right now and am trying to cheer myself up with prayes and positive toughts. I just go to know that my in laws are trying to convince my husband to divorce me and find a younger wife that can give him as many children as he wants....I know my husband loves me but I also know how much he wants to have children and how obedient he is to his parents ...and all that depresses me a lot. It is just not fair to be considered as useless and been thrown away just because I can not have children....like if I have any control over it. My husband and his family are very religious and I learnt to have faith from them, I don't understand how they can not see that this is God's plan (an not mine)
After trying for 2 years, my husband and I finally got pregnant with our first child. When I went in for my 10 week ultra-sound we found no heartbeat. We were devastated to say the least. I had my D&C last week. I am still cramping and bleeding a bit. I am looking forward to my next 2 periods so we can try again. My doctor said to give it a couple months to heal my body.
To all those who have miscarried, have faith. There was a reason for it. Yes, I cry and get angry and jealous when I see pregnant women, especially those who are teens or those who use drugs/smoke/drink and I wonder why them. But every time I want to cry and yell remember to tell myself that I sent a child to Heaven and she/he is there with God. So those who are angry and hurt please remember that you are not responsible for the miscarriage, but you are responsible for the miracle of giving sending someone to Heaven and it is pretty hard to be upset about that.
I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. Please remember that God has a plan for you and your life. God sometimes tests our faith and our love. You and your husband have to prove to Him that you trust Him and His plan. God may not be testing you at all, this may be a test for your husband. Your husband made a vow to YOU, not his parents. I truly hope your husband passes God's test.
Good luck to you.
PS. While my husband and I are still hoping for a child, we have given our parents numerous grandchildren (dogs and cats) that they have learned to love as real babies. So the next time your in-laws give your two a hard time, ask them what "breed" of grandchild they would like for the time being!! :)
I'm so scared. I had a D and C on 13th August 2011 and I spotted for a really long time almost 2months afterward. Now today is February 16th 2012 and I'v still not had a period. Did u hv to take any medication or undergo any procedure. I have a little girl and we want 1 more child. I am really scared.