Maternal & Child Community
Periods after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Periods after miscarriage

Hi... I had a miscarriage at about 7 and a half weeks back in the middle of july. I bled for two weeks and got my first period on 8/25. I had intercourse on the 30th and 31st, am not back on the pill yet. It's 10/3 and i haven't had my period... has anybody experienced the same thing after a miscarriage? I took an hpt last week and it was negative. I took one today and it was also negative. It'd be nice to have a new pregnancy but I have my doubts that this is it... the only symptom I have is extreme fatigue for 3 weeks now, could be stress or pms? Can anyone explain or has had irregular periods after a miscarriage? The nurse told me to come in for another test if I had not started my period this weekend.
i m/c in feb 06, i bled quite heavy for 2 weeks.  then had normal period straight away, although bleeding has been alot heavier.  Everyone is different tho, perhaps ask nurse for advice.  i found noone helps out or gives advice when you miscarry....its left up to us to find out info on our own.  Good luck.
I had a m/c last year in June. I remember getting my first period 6 weeks after my D&C and it was a normal period. Then the 2nd period was very late for me, like 8 weeks  and it was a longer than normal period (I also took HPT just in case but didn't think I was pregnant, all results were neg so I think it was just stress etc that made the 2nd period so late). Then my third period and all after went back to my normal cycles. Sometimes it can just take a while to get back to normal, it is a huge trauma on our bodies.
  When my 2nd period was so late, I had called my doctor and the nurse scared me to death telling me all these things about thyroid etc. I actually called another doctor and told them the same thing, and they were like, just wait a few more weeks, its very normal after a m/c to be out of wrack for a few months even. So just try not to worry, unless it goes on for several months, it is just a normal part of healing after a m/c. Its not necessarily fun or easy though. My thoughts are with you.
ugh.. yeah it's hard. My first period after my m/c wasn't abnormal though, just that i never usually get it on the 25th. you're lucky your cycle went back to normal right after.
When I miscarried in January, I got my first period after 6 weeks and it seemed normal. Then the second lasted for about 10 minutes then stopped (pregnancy tests all negative), then the thrid did not come, had to take some medication to try to regulate my periods. and then 4th month was like 2 days late, so got really excited, but just ended up with false positive pregnancy tests. I think it just takes a while for the body to get back to nornal after a miscarriage.