Maternal & Child Community
Pillow & Crib Toddler Duvet- Open Forum if Needed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi girls, just a quick question about baby safety. I haven't used bumpers, pillows, blankets, soft toys,etc with either of my girls in their cribs. Basically I have a crib sheet and they sleep in pjs and a Halo Sleep Sack.  When DD #1 turned about 18 or 20 months I bought I have a nice (synthetic filled not down) crib duvet and pillow for her and that's what she slept with until she moved to her big girl bed at 34 months. I don't know how I decided it was safe at 18 months or if it even was safe because I just can't remember. So my question is when is it safe to use these items if at all? DD #2 will be a year next week.
Sorry for the double post! Don't know what happened.
So we shouldn't use bumpers?  My lil guy will be born in November and I am going to have him in a bassinet for a couple of months and then switch to a crib.  When is it safe to use the bumpers?
When I moved my kids from the crib to the toddler bed was when I let them have a flat pillow (not too fluffy) and blanket. My first two children were two when I moved them, and my third child was nearly three when I moved him and he has so many stuffed animals that he wants to sleep with that he winds up barely having room for himself! :) Of course, we have to remove some of the stuffed animals each time he starts to collect to many.
As to the bumper pads in the cribs, I always had them in the cribs even when they were infants. No one told me not to. I only just heard that recently.
Of course, my first two children are now teenagers and I let them sleep on their stomachs too! It didn't start coming out with them sleeping on their backs until sometime after my second child was born. Personally, I think they sleep better on their stomachs but I can understand why they say not to now. I did try to get my three year old to sleep on his back when he was an infant and he hated it! He did not sleep well at all that way. But I persisted until he was able to roll over and then he always rolled over onto his tummy! No matter how many times I'd try to roll him back over, he'd just roll back over onto his tummy, so I gave up and figured if he's able to roll then he should be safe with sleeping on his tummy. But that's a whole other topic!
Bumpers are a no no.  I am glad to see that you didn't use them.  Many parents will obey the other rules about no comforters or toys, but then still put the bumpers up.  Children have died from these things.  I don't understand why companies still make that stuff.  I know when my kids were babies I ended up hanging their comforter on the wall, and everything else was in the closet.  
You know regarding what you said about the age, I think it's when you as a mother feel its okay.  I didn't have a thing in my first daughters crib till she was almost out of the crib.  I was always so worried that something might happen.  Now on my second daughter I put a little pillow and a light blanket in there when she was about18 months.  How I decided was one night while she was sleeping I placed something over her face and if she moved it away, then I would let her have a pillow and blanket, but if she didn't move it away, I waited another month.  
My way of thinking is I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to my kids.
Guidelines are firm matress, tight fitted sheet, and nothing else.  Baby on back to sleep, and a blanket sleeper if needed.
Laura, that was good advice to test my DD while she's sleeping.
With the bumpers, I didn't use it with #2 or #3, I did with #1 (she's almost 15).  However I later learned about the suffocation hazard.  I use Nadezdha's comforter as a cushion for her to sleep on in her pack and play (its the perfect size) and she doesn't like the hard board.  I'm also a horrible parent and my 5 week old Nadezdha often sleeps on her tummy in her "bed"... yeah I know its a no no but she turns her head away from things and that's the only way she'll sleep (on her back she wakes herself up).  It works for us... then again she also sleeps in my bed a lot... (wow I'm breaking all the rules with her  *sigh* )

Anyhow with the pillow, I would wait till 18-24 months, usually they are moving around really well on their own at that point.  

Oh and another thing about sleeping in a crib... check the recalls and make sure you don't have or use one of those cribs from China that are on the recall lists.
I also let this DD sleep with me a lot for the 1st few months since it made BFing so much easier.  

Not trying to sound like a pest but you really should put DD on her back to sleep. The whole SIDS Back to Sleep campaign has saved so many lives. Personally I just look at it that I'd rather my baby not sleep as well than risk a tragedy.

Thanks for the tip about the crib. My dad called me right away when he heard the report but my crib is made right here in Canada!