Maternal & Child Community
Pills to Pass Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pills to Pass Miscarriage

I just found out that I have an empty sac. I saw two doctors and they both diagnosed the same thing. They gave me a prescription to pass the sac. My question is has anyone ever experienced this? Has anyone ever taken these pills and if so what happened. This is my first miscarriage so I am really scared. The sac measured at 6 weeks. Any help would make me feel better. Thank you
I had the same thing, but my dr told me I could either get d&c or wait it out and miscarry on my own.  I chose to wait 2 wks  and have d&c but want u/s the day before to ease my mind.  I didnt know you could take pills.  I am so sorry for your loss, how far along were you?  I wish I could answer your question, but I though it would help to hear from someone going through what you are.  God Bless you, and I will keep you in my prayers.
I am sorry for your loss, I had a M/C in Dec.  The pills that they gave you, I assume Cyotec, cause cramping and bleeding which help to complete the miscarriage. Usually they only cause cramping for two days.  I have never taken them, I had a D&C in Dec.  Sometimes though, they do not cause a complete miscarriage.  Do you have a follow up with your doc?  He/she should test your HCG levels (after you take the pills) and make sure they are going down...that's a good sign that the miscarriage is complete.  Sometimes they also do an ultrasound to make sure all the tissue is passed.  Once again I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you for all your support. I was 8 weeks when i found out that there was nothing there but the sac. I went back this weeks and there was still nothing there. I go back for a follow up in two weeks. I guess she is going to check and see if everything is okay. The pills the gave me are cytotec. I'm just scared that i'm going to bleed to much. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I will be updating. I'm taking the pills sunday. My huband and I are moving into a new house and I wanted to be able to help him move. Does anyone know if the pills start the miscarriage instantly or it takes a while? Thank you again for all your support.
I've read that the pills take anywhere from 2-6hrs to start the miscarriage. I will keep you in my prayers.
I had a miscarriage where there was no heartbeat at 8 weeks.
I took tablets but i had to go to hospital to do this. i took one tablet orally which prepares your uterus and then  a day later had to go to hospital for the day to have a tablet put internally. The doctors thn checked the clots i passed to ensure no cells were left.
All i can say is my friend did the same but ended up having to have a d&c anyway as she passed nothing.
I am so sorry for the details and i wish youe werent experiencing this.
My m/c was at about 6 weeks.  My dr. did not want to do a D&C because she thought it was unnecessary due to the early weeks of pregnancy and the fact that there is always a chance for D&C to cause scar tissue that could further impede future pregnancies. I took cytotec.  Started bleeding within 8 hours and had little to no cramping-only bleeding and horrendous back aches.

Good luck to you.  It isn't an easy to decision make.
Waiting can be a nightmare and it's unfair to the poor grieving mother at any stage.  Tell them you prefer a D&C.  It is a quick recovery and your uterus is clean and free of any past tissue.  I have had to wait before and it is a horrific experience.  

I'm sorry for your loss.
For me the pills did not work and I took them for two days.  It was a horrible experience for me and I ended up getting a D&C on the third day.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry for your loss, I had a blighted ovum at 11 weeks in June and took the pills to induce m/c.  I had been bleeding for a few days and was told it could take weeks.  I know that the pills are the same ones they used to help induce labor with my son, so I was comfortable with them.  I did it at home and used them vaginally.  Took them right before bed on a Friday night and woke up a few hours later with really bad cramping.  I did pass the sac and tissue no problem, once the pain got intense, it took only a few minutes and I barely made it to the bathroom, so mine was quick and complete.  Depends on the person though, and I did cramp for several days after with heavy bleeding for almost 2 weeks.  My Dr. did check in on me, but since I had bled so much and was doing fine, I did not need to go back in.  I ended up having 1 af and then getting pregnant right after.  I flet better getting it over with and moving on, plus I didn't want to go through that at work.  Good luck and I hope everything goes okay for you, take care.
I took cytotec/misoprostol 2 weeks ago.  4 pills vaginally on the Friday night and then 4 agin on the Sat.  I had already been in my 6th week of having the miscarriage bleeding on and off but my hcg was slow coming down.  It was 993 on the cytotec day and is now 104.  I had some cramping and bleeing like a period with some clots.  The first night I waited to take advil/tylenol, too late and had bad cramps.  The next night I took advil/tylenol before even taking the pills and I had no pain.  I really sugget taking the pain meds before the drugs.  I was really scared to take the pills my hubby and I stayed in all week-end just in case but things were fine.  Good Luck.  The pills are 85-90% effective at completing the miscarriage and is now an option instead of D&C and is just as effective.   I did a literature search on pubmed.com to review the research articles.  I'm in healthcare so it makes me a bit of a nerd that way.
I had pills vaginally and its been a week  and I still have not passed my baby I was 9 weeks and 2 days and the baby did not have a heartbeat.but its been a week and nonthing Im getting bigger and my stomach getting harder like the baby is growing and alive..its weird to me but im goin to the doc..im sorry fir everyones lost.. God bless u all with love
Hi! I am 41 years old and experiencing my second miscarriage. I was supposed to be 10 weeks tomorrow and had US yesterday with no heartbeat and baby measuring 8.5 weeks. Last go around I did it naturally and it took a while to completely leave, 41 days or so. I am thinking about using the pill this time but I am very nervous!! I have heard good and bad stories. Unfortunately more bad than good. I am interested to hear any success stories of this drug and also inspirational stories of successful pregnancy after multiple miscarriages. Thank you in advance for your help!