Maternal & Child Community
Pink eye and school ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pink eye and school ?

Well yesterday my 8 year old Andrea, woke up with a really bad case of pink eye. I took her to the Dr. and they prescribed her some eye drops. But I didn't ask the Dr. about school. And this morning she woke up with her other eye infected too. I know that pink eye is really contagious, but is it now that it's been 24 hours with the eye drops?
Tomorrow Andrea's class is going to the pool and the end of the year picnic. Should I keep her home? If she goes and gets in the pool I know she won't put her head under water. She is still afraid of the pool and refuses to get her head wet. This year was the first year she even got into the pool. Ok, I'm getting off the subject...
I think she should stay home cause it's still really swollen, red and that goopy stuff is still coming out, but hubby thinks she will be fine at school because she has been on the eye drops and is not contagious anymore.
(I wish I was still breasfeeding, when Nathan had pink eye I would just squirt some in after each feeding and it cleared up within 24 hours)

What are your thoughts, school or stay home?
Hmmmm.  My kids get pinkeye fairly often,  and it's kind of a surprise she is still looking mooky.  It usually clears up REALLY QUICKLY.

If she's still obviously looking like she has pinkeye,  she's still contagious,  and they'll probably send her home as soon as they see her anyway.  My best guess is,  overnight she'll look MUCH MUCH better,  and you'll be able to send her.

Best wishes.
If she still has goopy stuff coming out, she is still contagious...it sometimes takes between 24-72 hours for them to work. And, pink eye is highly contagious and most parents would probably be thankful that you were careful enough to keep her home (if your daughter was going and you saw another child with pink eye there, even if it was being treated with drops, I think you would wish the parent had erred on the safe side and kept the child home). It is quite possible that your daughter caught the pink eye from another child who showed up at school with it and you would be helping out so much from it spreading further by keeping her home. As well, technically, you are not supposed to enter a public swimming area with pink eye (even if it is being treated). And, she might be miserable when she is there or itchy or embarrassed, so to avoid it all, I would probably not send her. It is sad she would be missing a big event, so I would try and make it up to your daughter or ask the school for pictures or something so that she can feel like she was a part of it.
I would err on the side of caution and keep her home. I know she will be disapponted, but I wouldn't want to risk passing it along to other kids.

I feel for the poor girl. I had pink eye a few times as kid and it was terrible!

unless you have a doctor's note stating she is no longer contagious, the school won't (or at least shouldn't) let her stay if she has any visible symptoms.  We have always had to accept the doctor's note, regardless of how soon parents send their kids back. of course, some parents would take advantage of this and have friends who were doctors write notes and send their kids back less than 24 hours later (a big pet peeve of mine). in general, 24 hrs on an antibiotic and you are no longer contagious. however, if the symptoms aren't subsiding, it is possible that it is viral conjunctivitis, and not bacterial. (pink-eye, or conjunctivitis, is just a generic term referring to an inflamed eye. it can be caused by virus, bacteria, or even allergies. people just always assume it's bacterial, which is why it is important for you to take your child to the doctor when these symptoms are present and not just use drops left over from the last time- of course, this isn't directed at you, nalla. sounds like you're on the ball). so... moral of my extended discertation is... if the symptoms are improving by tomorrow AND you can obtain a doctor's note, then send her. If not, don't bother. they usually won't just take your word for it that she saw a doctor on saturday and has been on the drops.  
Thanks guys for the reply.  I will keep her home tomorrow.  I feel bad she is going to miss her thing, I'm going to have to take her someplace special when she is feeling better.

tiredbuthappy- you mentioned allergies. Andrea has really bad allergies. She breaks out in hives all the time and her nose is constantly plugged up. Our Dr. put her on singular about 2 weeks ago and it's not really helping. Is there a way to tell if this is from some sort of allergies? I couldn't get her in to our regualr Dr. I had never even met this man before. He just looked at her and said "yep, it's pink eye". He was in the room with us for less than 2 min.

Is there a way to tell if this is from allergies and is the treatment different?  I had no idea that allergies could cause something like this. Otherwise I would have talked with the Dr. about it.
It kinda make me wonder because she is a lot worse than she was yesterday and now both eyes are infected. I wasn't expecting that because we have been putting the drops in both eyes. I wonder if I should get her back in?
with allergies she wouldnt have yellow drainage. I dont know how old she is, but if she rubs the infected eye and then rubs the other she will get it in both. again as other posters said it should have cleared up considerably within 24 hours, play it by ear and see how she is in the AM. I am sorry you may have to keep her home, when our children hurt we hurt, and I am sure she is probably really upset. but again if there is no drainage in the Am i would say it is ok to send her.  
what color was the puss? If it's white and crusty it may viral, it may be allergic. If it's yellow or green, it's most likely bacterial. (Of course, there are always exceptions, but this is a general rule of thumb). I just confirmed what I said with DH who is a phamacist. He said that if it is bacterial, you would at least begin to see some improvement in 24 hours, even if it doesn't clear up totally yet. If it were allergies, an antihistimine eye drop could be prescribed. "If it's viral, it usually resolves within 5-7 days. there are anti-viral drops as well, but... eh" (quoting DH).  Of course, it could be a combo... it could've been allergic and the puss got infected... so many possibilities. fortunately, it's nothing to panic about. a big pain in the @ss, and certainly inconvenient and uncomfortable for her, but easily resolved. if the eye that was infected first (saturday, right?) is not improved at all by tomorrow AM, i would take her to see her regular doctor.
I think you are being very responsible in keeping her home. I also think it is a wonderful idea to take her somewhere for a treat when she is better. I remember when I was in first grade, I brokje my finer before lunch and missed my Halloween party. I was so crushed. I had wished my mother would have realized this and done something to make up for it. But alas, she was too drunk to notice ; )

Anyway, I think you have a great plan in mind. Discharge or no discharge i think it is best to keep her home. Just think of how upset you would be if the tables were turned and someone sent their kid to the pool with something highly contagious.
I would probably keep her home if it hasn't cleared up significantly by morning. The school will probably be calling you to come get her anyhow if it's still yucky. My niece and nephew (and then sister and brother in law) got pink eye a couple months ago and the doc prescribed them all different drops and a seperate bottle for each eye. (Yep that's 8 bottles of drops lol) He told them to keep my niece home from school for 24 hours after the drops and then when eye #2 got infected, it was another 24 hours. Sorry......I am rambling. lol

Her goopy stuff is greenish yellowish. It almost seems like the drops are making it worse. ( 3 drops in each eye, 3 times a day) She started the drops yesterday (Sat.) at 11:00 am. So thats a lot of drops and more than 24 hours.
The eye that got infected first is swollen shut now and the other is getting close and she now has a rash that is going all the way to her nose. (under the eye that first got infected)
In the past 10 years, since I have had kids, I have never seen a case of pink eye like this. Usually it's red and *****, but this seems to be extreme and I have never seen the rash going down the face.
And when you open her eye, the whole white of the eye looks like it's bleeding. Is all of this normal for pink eye? especially the rash?
(she hsan't been rubbing or messing with it)
nalla i cant say i have ever heard of this kind of reaction. maybe the drops are reacting poorly? poor girl, call the pharmacist.
Is it possible she got into something outdoors? Three times in my life I have gotten into poisen "something" and I get a rash only on my face! Usually starting in my eyes and it spreads all over my whole face. A couple years ago, I ignored it and went on vacation and ended up having to find an ER because my face had pretty much morphed and I looked like a freak! lol If she could have gotten into anything like that she may need a shot QUICK! I actually would just take her to the urgent care or ER if it were me since the rash is spreading and is getting worse not better!
Okay, first I have to laigh, when I saw the word "*****" I had to stop and put it into context. ***blushing**** I always giggle when I hear that word.

Anyway, I am a worry wart, I would suggest taking her in. I don't mess with eyes, they can be far too fragile to delay care when something is off with them. I realize it is Sunday and most urgent care centers close at 7, so you may want to head into the ER. The rash is worriesome. She may be reacting to the antibiotic and you certainly don't want to risk further injury to her eye.

Keep us posted. You have my #, call if you need to but let me know how things turn out, any time, any hour.
oops,  I meant to say 60 bucks for 1/2 teaspoon.  It's spendy,  but worth it!
Yeah, I think you all are right. I'm going to go ahead and take her in as soon as David gets back so he can stay with the other kids.
I'll keep you posted!
Such a good mama. Your kids are lucky. I don't blame you for waiting for your dh to get home first, I can't imagine trying to take all the kids to the ER!
nalla,  what eyedrops is she taking?

The bottle I have here is Vigamox,  which is the brand name for moxifloxacin,  hydrocholoride.

It's about 6 bucks for 1/2 teaspoon - but it works like a charm,  in my experience.

What drops are you using?
If it weren't so creepy, I would offer to overnight mail you some breastmilk ; )
I can't imagian a mother not wanting to do something special for their kids when there is a big disapointment like that. It's sad when a mother and/or father don't put their kids first.  Here I am in all this pain and just don't feel good, and I'm planning something special for us to do. I just don't get people sometimes.  My parents were the same way. They never went out of their way to do somethig for us. Not even for b-days and thigns like that.  Thankfully my parents are much better grandparents than they were parents!  I just don't do what they did and hey, I'm a great mom! LOL  (just kidding......kinda)
i just had another thought... your description sounds very much like something that happened to my husband in november. he had an eye injury (scratched cornea) and they prescribed him eyedrops to make sure there was no infection. his symptoms got worse, and sounded similar to what you describe (which at this point shouldn't be happening- it should be improving, not getting so bad). Anyways, turns out they think he was allergic to drops that he was prescribed! As soon as they changed the drops, his eye started to clear up. (his eye had been so nasty at that point we actually ended up going to the ER at 3 am. i had never in my life seen so much puss oozing from an eye, and like you describe, the whole eyeball was intensly red and inflamed)
How is she today?
AS A PREGNANT TEACHER.... I PLEAD WITH ANY PARENTS TO KEEP  THEIR SICK CHILDREN HOME!  I have parents insist on sending their children to school with pink eye, strep throat, and even WHOPPING COUGH!!  I know your child may get upset but please keep them home untill they are definitely absolutely not contagious!
Well, we were in the ER last night for HOURS!  It was so late by the time we got home!
They cleaned out her eyes as much as they could and prescribed her some different eye drops. They said it could have been a number of things. Some sort of allergic reaction that got infected, allergies to the eye drops, a scratch that got infected. They gave us a lot of things it could be but didn't know for sure. He said that if the new eye drops didn't kick in within 24 hours she needs to go see an eye Dr.
My poor girl.....she is miserable! Both of her eyes are practicaly swollen shut.
Thanks everybody!
thank goodness you took her. that poor baby! i hope those 24 hours pass very quickly nalla. its so hard to see our little ones in discomfort.
That's awful, I sure hope she feels better soon.
I'm assuming that this post is going to get buried pretty soon, but I thought I would let you all know that Andrea's eyes are clearing up with the new eye drops! :)  I can't believe how much of a difference it has been in less than 24 hours!  She is feeling so much better now!
So thanks all who responded!!
Wooo hooo! I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to hear that she is doing better.