Maternal & Child Community
Placenta Previa What to Do

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Placenta Previa What to Do

I have posted before about having bleeding and cramping-sharp stabbing pain also.  I decided to call the dr again and they sent me for an u/s today.  Not good results.  Placenta is growing into my cervix.  I am only 15 weeks but it does not sound good from the dr since he says not laying on cervix but growing into.  Has anybody had this.  If it is still this way at 20 weeks they have to monitor me closely and try and get me as far past 24 weeks as they can.  My question is that for right now he is not really doing anything but told me to come back again in 2 weeks but not rechecking until 20 weeks.  I have been having a lot of cramping and even a contraction yesterday.  Should they be doing more?  Should I be on bedrest?  Has anyone else had this and what did you have to do...what was the outcome.  Any input would be great since I am new at this.  This is the furthest I have gotten.  Had 2 previous m/c and several surgeries for endo & PCOS.
They thought that was what was wrong with me, wasn't though. Dr told me that as uterus expanded it would pull placenta away from cervix. Also, many women can go full term if doesn't move. He did say it would require bedrest if was the outcome. Sorry I can't help more.
What happens if I?m diagnosed with placenta previa?
It depends on how far along you are in pregnancy. Don't panic if your second trimester ultrasound shows that you have placenta previa. As your pregnancy progresses, your placenta is likely to "migrate" farther from your cervix and no longer be a problem. (Since the placenta is implanted in the uterus, it doesn't actually move, but it can end up farther from your cervix as your uterus expands. Also, as the placenta itself grows, it's likely to grow toward the richer blood supply in the upper part of the uterus.)

Only about 10 percent of women who have placenta previa noted on ultrasound at midpregnancy still have it when they deliver their baby. A placenta that completely covers the cervix is more likely to stay that way than one that's bordering it (marginal) or nearby (low-lying).

Even if previa is discovered later in pregnancy, the placenta may still move away from the cervix (although the later it's found, the less likely this is to happen). You'll have a follow-up ultrasound early in your third trimester to check on the location of your placenta. If you have any vaginal bleeding in the meantime, an ultrasound will be done then to find out what's going on.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregcomplications/830.html

I found this on this site and there is more infor there that seems to say not to worry too much!

I hope all goes well for you.... I think the best thing is to be well informed - read up on it. And then when you talk to your doctor, you know lots already and know what some of the options are!
My best friend has this as well. They are taking her baby 4 weeks early (lungs are fine). They are simply just taking the baby earlier and she cant deliver vaginally, which scares her but all looks fine with baby. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.  I am hoping it will work itself out but dr does not seem very hopeful since it is already growing into cervix but miracles do happen.  At 20 weeks I will start seeing a high risk specialist and then take it from there.  I guess it is not in my hands anymore.  Just wish there was more I could do.