Maternal & Child Community
Placenta Previa and bad cramping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Placenta Previa and bad cramping

Hi everyone. I posted a couple days ago. I was diagnosed with placenta previa. I am 10 weeks along. I have been on bedrest since Wednesday. The question that I have for you all now is.....with placenta previa is cramping normal? It feels like a period cramp. I almost have to grab my lower stomach and lean forward. Its strange. Is this normal? Thanks everyone, you guys are always VERY helpful and I would be lost without you all.
from what i have read it is often painless, but ocassionally there can be heavy cramping that is often associated with the onset of bleeding. i would probably call the doctor if the cramps are bad enough to stop you in your tracks.also keep a look out for a change in your vaginal discharge. any slight pink red or brown tinge should be reported right away.

i have placenta previa and have already had one bad bleed. i lost a triplet at that time. it was completely painless for me.

the other thing to consider is that at the point you are at in your pregnancy, round ligament pain happens because of all the stretching and growing your uterus is doing. it could be completely normal cramping.

check with the doctor and best of luck to you :)
Thank you! I am sure what I am feeling is completely normal. But I have been through a miscarriage already once and of course any kind of cramping or bleeding freaks me out. I don't know. I guess I will give it some time. Any time that I start bleeding my doctor wants me out on complete bedrest. Hopefully bleeding is not going to start, I need to make it through a whole day at work. :-)

I am sorry about your triplet. That is hard. I am thinking about you.
thanks :) the funny thing is i had no idea there was a third baby in there. i knew i had twins but that was all. from my very first ultrasound at 5 weeks they saw two sacs and poles and all. then at ten weeks i bled, it was bright red and alot. almost like my water broke, but watery(sorry tmi)((just letting you know what the PP did with me)) i soaked myself in it. we went straight to the hospital where the put me in a bed with my feet up. the bleed stopped within maybe a hour, they did an ultrasound and saw the twins dancing around and just fine. i was elated. the er tech told me they could not see the placenta but that the babies were fine. they diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage.

i went to my ob the next day and they did an ultrasound again since i was passing what looked like pink water and coffee grounds. at that ultrasound they found my previa but also a little mass of tissue at my cervix. it turned out that it was to be a triplet, but that baby had not implanted properly and had not developed beyond much more than a blasocyst(ball of cells). my body had started to reject that causing my cervix to open slightly and that disrupted the placenta of my lower lying baby.

long story short, i have mixed feelings, i never developed an attachment to the third baby, because i never knew it was there. i was so relieved at seeing the twins were going to be fine that i have not been sad over that loss. but i feel kinda guilty for not being sad over it. weird i know. but thats my story.

thanks for your thoughts, and please don't feel bad for posting about worrying, i still look at the tp every time i wipe. every cramp or twinge gets my full attention as i analyze it, and i am 5 months now. lol. you'll never stop worrying after a loss. the triplet was my second loss and it doesn't get easier to say "i lost a baby" either. but i  think holding your sweet baby in your arms will make all the worry worth it.

now i'll shut up, since i had to write an epic! take care
chelle
I understand about not being attached because you didn't know about the triplet. I don't think you are horrible or anything because of that. In your mind your twins were still safe and I am sure you felt an amazing relief to see that they were both ok.
Thanks for your story. I love this message board and I would be lost without you guys. Thank you so much!