Maternal & Child Community
Placenta Tear at 6 weeks,very healthy athlete..please help.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 19 years old and am a very healthy athlete who actually plays basketball for college. I had one miscarriage before about 3 months ago, and this time was very suprising news to find out I was pregnant again. Because I already had a miscarriage the doctors made me to the blood work test right away. I got my HCG done and they called about 4 days after the second time I did it and said my HCG levels weren't going up like they should. I was called in to have an ultrasound. When looking at the ultrasound I saw the little heartbeat, which was an amazing experience and the ultrasound tech. thought everything looked normal. When I got into the doctor's office my doctor told me I had a slight placenta tear, but the heartbeat looked good. I have pains a lot still, but haven't bled yet and I just need someone to be honest with me. How likely is it that my baby will survive? And is there anything I can do besides not practicing that will help solve this problem? I hate to say it but I am desperate for an answer. Anything will help.
Thanks.
The tear will more than likely heal on it's own but my suggestion would be to definitely take it as easy as possible. Many pregnant women with a placental tear will be put on bedrest so yes, basketball is out!! For sure keep in touch with your doctor and keep your feet up! NO heavy lifting!