Maternal & Child Community
Playing sports while pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Playing sports while pregnant?

Hey girls, it's me. i had posted a question about 2weeks ago about my HCG levels and was worried i had a molar or tubal pregnancy. well i had an ultrasound and everything is ok. Thank GOD. we saw the hearbeat and i was only 7weeks. (8.5weeks now) My question today is can i play volleyball. i am a very athletic person, avid volleyball player now 29.  I played with my first child until two months but that was 4 years ago. Really want to play just so i can get exercise, because regular exercise seems boring to me. I'm a little older and skeptical. Any advice?
I know you want to play, but I say...Find a less agressive sport.  Volleyball requires stretching your arms above your head, jumping, and possibly taking a hit in the abdomen.  You don't want to do anything that would harm you or the baby.  I realize that it is important to remain a part of the living, but you really should take it easy, at least until your out of the first trimester.  

Walk with your spouse, join the gym; there are things that don't completely restict us and exercise is good for you and your baby, but team sports can get too agresssive.

Hope this was more encouraging.
Ditto, my own opinion of course. I see many women that are doing so much and turn out fine. I lost my baby at 12 wks, official cause is due to strain or lifting. I don't recall anything worse than carrying in groceries. Now I will be overly cautious.
If you're like me...you're diving all over the court, and that's not good.  I wouldn't risk it if I were you, but as long as you are careful of your stomach and not diving, or at risk for falling you're ok.  If you're more of the aggressive and competitive type, I'd say take prenatal yoga (I know it doesn't sound to exciting, but it's really good for you), or spinning classes.  You can also run, but that's prob boring to you.  If worst comes to worse, read some magazines while you exercise or take walks with your little one:)
Not sure Volleyball should be on any list of good sports to do while pregnant.  It is very agressive.  Like you, I also am very athletic and a farm girl.  I am 10 weeks and going nuts.  No running and I haven't been able to go horseback riding.  I even have to rethink picking up a bale of hay. Even though the Doc said if I ride a real calm horse it should be okay since I did it before.  But horses are not always predictable.  She said no running, to try walking and swimming.  Maybe you can try those.  The first 3 months are the most dangerous for miscarriage.  Try to take it easy and try some other activities that will give you some excersise.
I agree with KentukyMommy.  Staying fit and active is great but do find a less agressive sport.  They don't recommend any contact sport during pregnancy or anything that requires stretching, pulling, etc.
I was just reading the comments about Volleyball being an agressive sport and shouldn't be played while pregnant, I entered this site to ask if it's wise to play Basketball - I discovered yesterday that I am pregnant with my 2nd child, very excited but I can't be anymore than 5 weeks so we are not telling anyone yet. We have 2 months left of basketball season and was hoping to see it out. If I pull out obviously I will have to give a reason. I do NOT want to risk anything happening to my baby so I guess I know the answer to my question but I I'll feel better and clearer about my decision if someone would just say NO YOU MUST NOT PLAY. Does that sound stupid?  
Sorry, new at this was supposed to ask a question not comment on yours. good luck with your pregnany.