Maternal & Child Community
Please I need advice - newborns around MRSA!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ok so here is the problem I am faced with.
I am 38 weeks pregnant & I just found out that one of my boyfriends family members has MRSA (his 1 year old niece). His niece lives with my boyfriends mother and sister (which is the childs mother). My baby is due any day & I already told him that I believe it would be best if they didnt bring his niece around the baby but I read about it more online & it says that MRSA spread very quickly & because my boyfriends mother & sister live in the same home as the baby infected with MRSA, I am terrified that one of them can possibly have the infection without fully knowing it. I do not want them to come to the hospital because I am terrified my newborn baby will be exposed to harm but I am not sure how to tell my boyfriend that even though they do not have it, they can possibly be infected & I dont want them around.

Please give me advice on this, I am stressing it so badly!
my friend contracted a MRSA infection from the hospital when she was giving birth. She got it from the monitor they strapped around her belly. She wasn't diagnosed until the baby was a month old, so she was around her baby the entire time. She was able to continue caring for her baby, but obviously kept the wound covered and the baby wasn't near the wound.

Where is the child's infection? Is she on antibiotics and for how long? I would think that she may not be infectious at that time. The only reason I would have hesitation is because obviously, a 1 year old may not know to not touch her wound. Definitely don't stress about it now- of all the things to stress about, this isn't one :) You can always ask your OB his opinion, or when you get to the hospital, ask them.
Well, the child is infected in three different areas. (her leg, her elbow, and underneath her foot). I just really would rather have them not come but they are very funny people & feel as though everyone is always trying to keep them away. Thank you for your response, it made me feel so much better! :)
oooo.... one of *those* situations... can be tricky. You can always lie and say the OB said they can't come :)  But if they do come, I would assume all of the general precautions people take around babies would prevent problems. Sanitizing, etc... People shouldn't touching newborn's hands and face anyways (I always HATED when people would just grab my newborn's hands- yea I know it's a cute little hand, but it's flu season so get your grubby paws off my kid). Keep the baby swaddled tightly, so even if they do hold him, they don't have access to anything.