Maternal & Child Community
Please help! Short cervix....scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Please help! Short cervix....scared

Has anyone had this?  I just had my 20 wk u/s.  The baby is a boy and looks great but they are concerned that my cervix is measuring short.  I have to go back in a week to have another u/s to check it again.  Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Hi.  It's ok.  Try not to worry so much.  I had a shortening cervix that was extremely thin as well.  At about 8 weeks I had cerclage to hold it in place and I wound up delivering at 38 weeks.  She was very healthy. I was on bedrest for a period too.
You just need to do what the doctors suggest.
As the above poster said the dr has option for a short cervix. I also have a cerclauge in, I got it at 15 weeks and I am on bedrest for the remainder. I have had periodic u/s and the cerclauge is holding the cervix just fine. A cerclauge is where they basically sew up the cervix so in case it tries to open it can not. Your dr will do what he needs to do if he is worried.
Did they tell you the length of your cervix??  At my 18 week u/s they  said my length was 3.2 and I don't think that is good length so I'm kinda worried about preterm labor...  not to mention my baby kicks down low sometimes near my cervix and it hurts!
What is the length?  
It's really impossible to say anything else without knowing what the length is.
3.2 is not too short.  Also, all babies kick down low and it can hurt a lot.  My baby kicks down low a lot and sometimes I wish she wouldn't because it hurts so much.  Your baby kicking won't send you into preterm labor or make your cervix shorten.

Do you know how long your cervix was before? The important thing is that your cervix isn't shortening or thinning out.  

Remember that it was also a measurement from the outside.  The best measurement of the cervix is a transvaginal US.  

I wouldn't worry right now.  It's just worrying for nothing.  Your doctor will let you know when to worry.  

Plus, it may just be what is normal for you.

Thanks everyone for the info.  I had an internal u/s and I don't know what the measurement was.  I had not heard of this (this is my first pg) so I wasn't prepared with the proper questions to ask.  I'm trying not to worry but it's really hard.  I have heard so many negative things about this condition.