Maternal & Child Community
Please someone help me with any info about HPV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

helo ladies. I had a pap smear 3 wks ago it came back,for the first time ubnormal. I have Mild dysplasia and cellular changes associated with HPV. I do have pap smears every year, in fact, I was pregnant in 8/2004 through 5/2005 and I had 3 pap smear during my pregnancy bcs of bleeding and came back as a pylpo that did go a way after I had my son. Please help me, do I have Cancer, or what are the chances? I am scared to death. Any information that could help me. Thank you
I'm sorry i can't really help you much but i also had a abnormal pap smear and they said it was HPV then the year after that i had my yearly exam and it was normal no HPV. I hope you find answers and good luck!
I have HPV (or I should say I had it).  It's actually EXTREMELY common among women.  Don't worry about it too much.  Most of the time it goes away on it's own or just lays dormant for a while, but may reappear every so often.  I've had to have biopsy's before and everything was still fine.  Again, it's common, don't worry! :)
I agree EXACTLY with the comment right above this one...very normal. I've known very few women who haven't had it. Happened to me several times. I doesn't mean cancer...HPV affects something like 90% of women.
Mild dysplasia is NOT cancer.  It is a change at the cellular level that sometimes progresses to cancer but not always. It is actually a fairly commom diagnosis among young women.  If not monitored it may progress to cervical cancer so you have to make sure you follow whatever instructions your doctor gives you for follow up.  There are three "levels" of dysplasia (mild, moderate and severe), mild being the least serious of the three.  There are a lot of things that can cause some pretty odd changes on your pap besides cancer and they are sometimes hard to differentiate.  The most important thing to remember is that although your diagnosis isn't at all a guarentee that you will someday have cervical cancer the  possibility is there and you have to be deligent about your follow up.  But please try not to worry too much...even if your lesion does progress to moderate or severe dysplasia it is VERY treatable and very rarely do these things progress all the way to cervical cancer.  I hope that helps a bit...I have never had an abnormal pap but I am trained to screen and interpret pap smears so I know a whole bunch about them!!!
Thank you ladies for your support, it ment alot to me. I have so many health problems, I am 34, I have Colitis(Crohn's), Asthama, arthritis, Kidney stone, Lung problem,ostreoproses, and other problems, I realy don't need more health problems. I have a 17 months baby boy and I want to live to see him growing up. does anyone know if my od will be able to give an idea on Wednesday, the same day of colposcopy, if things are worse or better than what the pap smear came back with. Thank you all for you help
As other posters have mentioned, HPV is very common and usually goes away on its own. I was diagnosed with the strain that causes cervical cancer back in '04, and after a colposcopy (which was absolutely painless might I add--I felt nothing) it went away.
I have had displasia and HPV twice.  Once while pregnant with DD.  Your dr. will do a biopsy of it to see what stage it is in and then decide whether to do a burning or freezing proceedure.  This is very common.  No need to worry, just be sure you stay on top of it and get it taken care of.  It is not cancer, it is pre-cancer, but can turn to cancer over time (years) if not taken care of.
Your doctor can usually tell by looking more closely (through the colposcopy process) how mild, moderate, etc it is at the time he/she does it.  But, I will warn you, colps are not very fun.  For me it kind of stung a little, but not unbearable.  Seriously, this is most likely nothing to worry about, especially if you have regular check ups and your DR. is on top of things.  One of the previous posters said that 90% of women have it, and they are correct.  Because so many women get it, they are now even requiring young girls to get a vaccine they have recently created against HPV!!    
Just stay on top of it.
It is very common and I too have it.  It went away once on it's own but this year it reared it's ugly head again and I now have mild to moderate dysplasia.  

I've been pregnant 3 times this year (unfortunately all ending in m/c) but because pregnancy has brought my immune system down they don't think this time it will go away on it's own so I may need a LEEP....also very common procedure.

Please don't worry...dysplasia is a long way off from cancer.
I have read a lot of comments about HPV. Please understand!!!  HPV never goes away. It is a virus..it may lay dormant for awhile but it is always there. That is why it so important to continue to go to your GYN, have yearly pap-smear's done. Never miss one if you are diagnosed with HPV. Dysplasia is not cervical cancer but take it from someone who had stage 4 dyspalsia it can get very bad. I am fine, carried 3 children wonderfully and have had no bad paps since my surgery in 1994. Many GYN's think having multiple partners can increase your chances of displaysia even if not diagnosed with HPV.
Right - HPV never goes away but the symptoms (dysplasia) can reverse itself on it's own...Mine did for years until my latest 3 pregnancies.

It is a virus which is why when my immune system became low it attacked my cervix again...This time the drs don't think my dysplasia will go away on it's own...I need a little help from them.
Thank you ladies for you very helpful comments. It maks me feel a little better taht it's common and I am not the only one. Like I said before, I have Crohn's disease ( like Colitis) and for the last nine years I have been taking Prednisone from time to time which make my immune system weak, and yet, never had HPV!!Oh well, tomorrow I have my colcoscopy,wish me luck. I will let you know. Thank you all again.
Thank you lawgirl17. Your comment was very helpful. Do you think that even with mild displasia can be pre-cancer cells? also, you said that I might have been having it for a while, so, do you think that in my last pap smear they missed it, althoug I had pap three times in the last two years? What is the chance in my case, do you think it could be cancer or pre-cancer, because I thought it takes long long time to become pre or cancer. Is that true? I am sorry, but I am worried, I want to live for my son and dh, I have no family to be around me to comfort my, so, I feel worse than I should be, may be.
I had the same thing you are talking about.  I had the colposcopy done, cells were still abnormal...so i had to have the LEEP procedure done.  I have had 3 paps since and all have come back normal!  It is a common procedure, I was shocked when I told my friends and about 5 of them had been through the same thing.  It is easy to remove the abnormal cells when they catch them so early.
Hi, Rawina. I posed the below on the "Women's" site this morning and thought I would share it with you also ... hopefully it offers some reassurance. I was COMPLETELY freaked out when I found out that I had the same PRE-cancer cells. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, etc. I, unfortunately, am very familiar with this topic! ;0) Best wishes.

MY WOMEN'S POST:
"The new buzz (started a couple of years ago) is that displasia is a direct result of HPV (there is even a new commercial out that discussing how you can get cancer from HPV ... the idea is "I didn't know ... did you? ... I wish someone would have told me that you can get cancer from an STD").
I myself when through something very similar to you ... I had to go through the colposcopy because of high displasia. After that, I had to get paps every 3-4 mo for a year and every 6 mo the next two years. I would bounce back and forth between normal and mild-moderate displasia, so I didn't have to get a LEEP, but I have some friends who have had this (not very invasive either from what I have been told). Men who are carriers of this strand of the virus apparently have NO symptoms, so they don't even know they are passing it along (another reason for singles to be very cautious ... just b/c symptoms don't exist doesn't mean you aren't spreading an STD or receiving one). However, the woman often will get displasia, which is about the only symptom to my knowledge of this particular strand of HPV. There is nothing to cure it, and you shouldn't have problems so long as you get frequent paps. Make sure you go every 3-4 mo for the first year and every 6 for the next two (it is probably smarter to always go every 6 if you know you have HPV, but the ob doesn't require this). I am trying to go about every 9 now that I am past the 3-yr mark ... we will see how that works out! ;0)
There is no point in stressing out about it or wondering who gave it to whom because whoever gave it to you WOULDN'T have had any symptoms, so there is no way to track this down unfortunately. Also, from my understanding, some women even don't get symptoms whereas others may get pre-cancer cells (moderate-high displasia), but the timeframe in which these cells may appear varies drastically. You have probably had it for quite some time without the displasia symptom. Don't let yourself stress out about it ... I forget about it most of the time.
Also, just remember that this is the current buzz. It may change in a couple of years and we may find out that the displasia is not HPV after all. Who knows!? Technology changes daily, so scientific advances change daily also. Best wishes!"
I am glad you found it helpful. I am just sorry you had to go through all of these emotions too. I truly freaked out when I got the letter from my OB ... in big, bold letters, it said "You do not have cancer." However, in my mind I did. It scared me crazy! You are so silly ... don't apologize for asking questions or seeking clarification.
In my understanding, all displasia like this is considered precancer cells; however, the likelihood of it actually ending in cancer is incredibly rare. It isn't that it may have been missed in your last pap smear, it is simply that there was no displasia (or not enough to show up even as mild) at that time. Once you get HPV, you have it ... ALWAYS. However, it is very common to have normal pap results (and very common to have abnormal pap results). Basically, the level of displasia directly corresponds with the timeframe it takes (if undiscovered) for it to become cancer. (I.e. mild takes much longer than moderate, which takes much longer than severe. No exaggeration, this general takes YEARS to turn into cancer, and that is years of not having regular paps because the pap WILL find displasia if it exists.) If there was a decent likelihood that it was cancer, your OB would have demanded you return to the office immediately. Although your ob doesn't necessarily tell you, the cells are basically precancer cells (my best friend is a general practitioner, so she explained a lot to me when I went through this).
I totally understand why you are having the thoughts that you are having, but you truly have NOTHING to worry about. My displasia was moderate-severe, and I still only had to have a colposcopy (I didn't even need a LEEP), so the fact that you only are showing mild means that you are in the clear. After the colposcopy, you should go back 3-6 mo later for a follow-up pap to see if it is still showing abnormal (it may be normal, it may still be mild, or it may have increased to mild-moderate, moderate, moderate-severe, or severe).
I know it is impossible to sit back and relax because it is difficult to grasp what you are going through, but try. I didn't understand most of this until AFTER the colposcopy and a couple of follow-up visits.
Truly, you are not looking at sickness, chemo, death, or anything relatively similar. At this point, compare this to a cardboard cut as opposed to a paper cut. It is more of a nuisance than anything merely because you have to increase your ob visits. So long as you continue to go for your paps regularly (every 3-4 mo at first and then every 6 mo), you will be fine because this allows the ob to follow up on your progress. Now, when my paps come back with mild displasia, I simply have to go back for another pap within the next six months. When you go in for the colposcopy, ask your dr how quickly you will get the results, what the potential results are, and what the next steps will be dependent on those results. Keep me posted as you go through this. I promise that you are not looking at any immediate danger here. It truly takes a vERY long time for these precancer cells to turn to actual cancer (I have honestly been told that it takes years). However, don't slack off on the paps just because it takes so long. As with any other medical issue, it is better to stay on top of things to preempt any potential harm than to deal with it after it comes along. Best wishes. I promise that the colposcopy is a very short procedure (although the room may be cold ... my legs were shaking the entire time because they were up in those stupid stirrups, which is very awkward). You will be in and out in no time at all. I think when I got there I got sent over to the prep area where they did a preg test, had me change my clothes, etc. My husband was able to stay with me part of this time, and then they wheeled me to the room. It probably only took 15 minutes or so until I was wheeled to the "recovery" area, where I stayed for like a half hour because of the procedure at that office. I was released and went straight to Bob Evans to enjoy some yummy lunch! Say a prayer when you get up that morning (I will set a reminder to make sure I remember to pray for you that day especially, but I will pray for you up until then also). I would recommend treating yourself to a massage the day before or the day after if you have time ... I know this is stressful, so you certainly deserve that! Please keep me posted, and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. Best wishes!
I had a cone done on my cervix.  It went really well and I get regular check ups and everything has been great for about 10 years now...Good luck
Oh GOD, I truly can't thank you enough. My appointment is tomorrow at 8:30 am. I hope that my OB will be able to give me some idea about how bad it's after colposcopy, I am going overseas on saturday to visit my family who I miss soooo much. That what worries me the most, taht I will be away and worried,so I will not injoy my visit. Thank you again for the info. and prayer.
Hi guys. well, I had my colposcopy this morning, and, it wasn't so bad, but not fun at all. May be beause I am in pain most of the time because of my colitis, so, I can take pain easily. Any way, my ob said that from the way it looked, it's not bad at all. In fact it's very very mild, and she said " I'm sure it's not cancer or precancer, and you don't need any treatment, but you should come back after 4 months for another pap" however I should wait for the piopsy's result after one week. So, thank you sooooooooo much for you very helpful comments. And thank you lawgirl17 for great info.
i am so happy to hear that it went so well. i certainly understand that it isn't very comfortable, but i am so happy to hear what your ob said. congratulations! i bet you will be able to relax and enjoy your time with your family now, huh!? CONGRATS again on things going so well. i said several prayers for you! have a great trip!
Thank you ANGEL. I do feel better now. I will keep you posted. I am leaving on saturday, I'll be watching for any messages from you, and I'll be sending you messages from there. So, PLEASE PLEASE keep posting, it's great to to find someone like you to talk to. Thank you all ladies.
how is the trip? we miss you!!!!
Hi, how are? Thank you for remembering me.The trip is great, my husband and his mother left back to Chicago yesterday, they were her for 2 weeks, they had alot of fun. i did see an infertility Dr. in Jordan, he was working for the last 30 years in England. He did all kind of tests, he found a small fiobroid, but, he said it's in a spot that won't affect my fertility. The other thing he said, that I still have milk in my breast after I weaned my son, and that would affect my fertility. I am taking pills to dry it out. my Dr. in chicago, however, called my last week about my colposcopy results, everything was normal.Thank you again for checking on me. I will be looking for any posting from you. Take care.
I was just thinking about you ... how funny that I would come across this literally minutes after wondering how you've been!

You are just a wealth of excellent information. I am SOOO happy to read your post.

I am glad to hear that your trip went so well!

I have fibroids too but have been told they won't cause any fertility issues. That is so incredible that you now know the milk is an issue and you are working to resolve it.

It is also incredible that your results came back normal.

Please keep me updated on how things are going with you. I am crossing my fingers ... going into this month, I kept feeling that IT WAS THE MONTH, but deep down I think I know better. I feel the same as I did last month (I still swear I had a chem pg last month although the only test that showed positive was the crappy "Confirm Clearly" brand test, which shows men, tap water, and neutered dogs are pg). I guess I will know in a couple of weeks. I am only 5dpo right now, so I still have 9-10 days based on my history. I am not really so naive that I will get my hopes up, but it is fun to think that maybe, just maybe it will work this time. We REALLY tried this month ... maybe it will work! ;0)

Please keep me updated. I love hearing from you!
Hi. Don't loose any hope. I don't remember if I told about my pregnancies issue, I got pregnant twice, the first one,6 yrs ago ended with abortion I was taking medications that would harm the fetues, the second time, I ttc for 8 month, then I did see infertility dr., who did tell me to go for iui, wich didn't work, then, he said we should go for ivf. I thougt I have to rest and take it out of my mind for a few months, knowing stress could affect fertility-three months later I was in the ER for kidney stone and had a stent placed in my kidney. Drs told me I was 8 weeks pregnant!! now, He is 18 months old healthy baby boy. So, what I ment to say God works in a mysteries way, we never know what he has for us. I hope to hear from you soon you got ++++. I will keep posting every day hoping to hear from you with a great news. I will pray for +++ for you. Plz don't give up, you are a very nice person and God loves good peaple and will never let them down. Alot of baby dust for you and who ever looking for it.
Hi. I remember you told me that you should be able to find out your result today or tomorrow. I can't wait to hear from you telling me that it's your month. I am doing fine, I did take care of the milk issue. Let me hear from you. Good luck to you and alot of baby dust to all of you TTC ladies.