Maternal & Child Community
Poison Ivy Remedy while Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Poison Ivy Remedy while Pregnant

I have poison ivy on my leg which is itching like crazy!  I have been using Caladryl Clear for 2 weeks and it isn't touching it....I am 14 weeks 3 days pregnant....does anyone know of another medicine that is safe??  I want to use Ivarest because I've used it in the past but don't know if it is safe while pregnant.  I have a call in to the doctor but they have to call back and that could take all day and I wanted to pick something up on my lunch break.  Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Jenny
I have heard that Zanfel if safe to use while you are pg. I believe you can get it at Wal-Mart. I would call your pharmacy to be sure. Another thing is Gold Bond it works too to help the itch, but I don't think it'll get rid of it. I've had poison ivy before and I know how miserable it can be. Good Luck to you!
Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath that helps that itching and helps to dry up the rash.
I am super allergic to poison Ivy too. Plain clorox on a q-tip will clear it up over time. Just beware don't touch the tip of the q-tip to any other skin around the site. Use circular motion (small) until blister is gone and burn starts. Then spray with green top caladryl spray that you get at walmart. It is band-aid brand. Ask your dr first though. I just know what I've done for years to battle the dreaded stuff. You also might want to bandage the site to keep it from spreading to other places. I feel for you.
Thanks for all the responses!
I have never even had poison ivy so I didn't know what it was for a couple weeks!!  I just kept itching it!  Of course, the nurse hasn't called back yet....I may run over to Walmart and see if the pharmacist would be able to tell me what is okay.  Just being cautious since I had a miscarriage in Dec.
So far all is going well w/this pregnancy!!
Thanks again...baby dust to all ttc
I have the same issue at the moment.  Your dr. can prescribe some corticosteroid creme.  I have Fluocinonide.  There are others out there as well.  I feel for you.  I am super alergic (allergic) to poison ivy.  We have it all over the place so I'm constantly broken out.  It's horrible.

I hope your pregnancy goes very well.
A safe treatment for poison ivy while pregnant is call Rhus Tox. It is homeopathic and can be found at any health food store for about $7. You dissolve four tablets under your tongue 4x a day until it gets better. I am currently pregnant and treating my poison ivy precisely this way. My heart goes out to ANYONE suffering from this nasty, itchy nuisance.   Good luck.
i dont know i just had to say i feel for you!! i hope it clears up soon, sounds horrible :(
I am waiting to hear if I am pregnant via IVF and have a bad case of poison oak.  I hear Zanfel is safe but it has nonoxynol-9 in it and my pharmacist said he wouldn't use it if he were me.  Sufferig, oozing and itching and not sure what to do!
I AM 17 WEEKS PREGNANT AND I HAVE POISON IVY FOR TWO WEEKS NOW, MY DOCTOR PERSCIBED A CREAM BUT IT JUST DRIED UP MY SKIN. I HAVE IT IN MY FACE, HAND LEGS,ARMS AND STOMACH.MY STOMACH IS THE ITCHIEST! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO USE CAUSE I HAVE TRIED VERYTHING AND ITS JUST KEEPS ON SPREADING. ANY SUGESTIONS?
Hello my fellow pregnant, itchy ones!   I am six and a half months pregnant and also have poison ivy.... terrible! Got it around my eyes and all over my hands.   I just got off the phone with my midwife about this. This is what I am going to try, starting within the hour :).......
    When I was pregnant with my second child ten years ago I had my first bout with the stuff. I took the homeopathic remedy RusTox which was mentioned above and it did help. I plan to start taking this today, but I think I will add a topical remedy as well for the immediate itch. I think taking this remedy along with either a topical homeopathic, if I can find one, or the caladryl that my midwife also suggested as safe. Sounds like a possible good combo for relief.  Let's keep eachother posted on this. Blessings of peaceful skin to you all, Heidi :)
I hope this works. Im going to half to go to walmart and get some of the stuff that u'all had tried i need something its driving me nutts. Thinks for helping me out. Im 35 1/2 weeks pregnant and last night i took a soap and bleach bath. It seemed to help for maybe 10 mins and i was at it again. I have it on my arms and mostly on my legs. Had it for a month, but didnt relized i had tel i started to ask people about it. Work place had Shingles and i was scared to death. Thought i had it, but don't.
It seems when u r pregnant its worse. I wish it was gone i'll try some of the remedies and go from there. Thanks again!! Congrats to all.
i have poision ivy im 6 weeks prego and im suffering bad from poison ivy i have tried the caldral stuff and cortisone cream none is working any suggestions?
Heidi -

OMG!!!  I need to know if your Res Tox and Caladryl ever ended up working for you!  SO glad you ladies posted about this.....I'm 8 weeks preggo and just realized that I also have some type of poison SOMEthing, and it is ALSO driving me crazy!  

Anyone else try that combo to know if it worked?

Heather