Maternal & Child Community
Positive Pregnancy test followed by negative result

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago with a positive result.  However, I took tests yesterday and today and both came back negative.  I am not on any fertility drugs and haven't previously been pregnant or had a miscarriage.  I went in for a blood test today but won't get the results back until tomorrow and the suspense is killing me.  Has anyone experienced this before and is it possible that I am pregant?
Did you use two different brands of hpt?
They are different and detect the hcg at different levels.......also if you used first morning urine with the first one and then something other than first morning with the other two that also can throw off the results.
I know waiting is hard but you will know for sure very soon.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Yeah, I used different tests.  Don't really know what to think...definitely don't want to get my hopes up.
I have experienced the same thing.  I took a pregnacy test yesterday morning and got a positive result.  I have what I believe is implantation bleeding because it doesn't soak a whole pad.  I went into the doctors office and had a blood test done which came back negative.  I'll take another home pregnancy test, different brand and if tomorrow morning it comes back positive, then I am going to treat it as if I pregnant until I know for sure.

I agree with Angel4johnny.  Taking your test in the morning and in the afternoon will affect your results.  Especially if you hcg levels are low.

If I turn out to be pregnant, I'm that 1% that got pregnant while on the bc patch.

Let me know if your blood test results come back positive or negative. I've also read that if your hcg is lower that 5, 10 or 25 units, that the blood test could also give you a false negative depending on what test they have given you.  You might want to ask which blood test would they be using.  And I'll let you know if I turn out pregnant.  :o)  Good Luck!
i just posted my own question. I took a preg test monday,came back neg. took one tuesday morning and it was postive tookk another one today, differetn brand and it was negative, im havin g so many symptoms though. i haave a friend who ssaid that with  her first baby the first preg test was neg, then she took a another one and it didnt show up right away but it was postive,,,her doctor told her that you can have a false negative but you can really never have a false positive. something had to trigger that positve hormone on the hpt.
That happened to me also.  My both of my Fact Plus pregnancy test were Positive right away and all three of my First Response test were negative.  So right now, I'll just have to wait and see if I get my period next month.  My doctor says that no hcG is present in my blood so I'm confused as well.  I hope I'm pregnant but if I'm not, I'll try again.

Playful, let me know if you turn out to be pregnant.
i got a positive result thurs and 2 negetives friday which has really confused me. It is still early, p not due till wed. i have read a bit and am worried it was detergent in the cup or something???
got another negative test today two days before my p is due. confused +++++
Just try and wait until your period comes.  If you have missed a couple of days, take another test.  If it comes out negative again, I wouldn't test anymore after that.  It starts to become expensive.
2 days late now and still negative. I am trying to forget about it but my friend is preg and my best friend rang tonight and is preg (surprise!, her 1st was IVF) and I work in midwifery with preg women and babies all day, so it is really hard to forget. I just hope its preg or not and not anything else to worry about. I would just like to know either way and cant get in to the drs for 3 days yet.
Hey. Call me crazy but I feel pregnant. I'm 6 days away from my P. and the dr. just called in to say the test was negative. Did this happen to anyone and still get a positive later?
I have taken about 8 of the same brand pregnancy tests. Three of those tests were positive. The rest were negative. I don't know what to think. I kinda don't want to get a blood tests because I don't want it to be negative.
You will not know for sure if you do not get your levels checked.
I've been reading all the comments and while only one is very current I figured i would respond and let you know we are in very similar situations.  I tried this month for a baby and to my surprise i started getting all the typical symptoms about 5 days before my missed period.  I finally got a positive result one day before my missed period.  I was so excited and planned to tell my husband that night by taking another test and letting him see the results.  FYI- that day I noticed my symptoms lessened as the day went on.  When i took another test it came back negative!  Now I am three days late for my period and have had all negative tests each day.  Not to mention my symptoms have pretty much vanished.  I had a quantative blood test yesterday and am finding out today at 3:30.  While I hope to still be pregnant my gut feeling is telling me I no longer am.  I guess at this point my biggest concern is an ectopic pregnancy since I still haven't got my period.  I will update anyone who is reading tonight when I get my results.  Good luck to you all.  I know the feeling of torture this causes!
I believe I conceived 10 days ago today (still 4 days away from expected peiod).  I have a lot of the symptons and feel like I really know my body but when I took a quantative blood test yesterday, I just received the call that it was negative (less than 2 hcg). A couple of hours AFTER the test, I began, what I believe to be implantation bleeding.  I understand that it is still very early on.  Has this ever happened to anyone else and it turned out you were pregnant, just too early in the pregnancy to detect?
i took a test this morning and had a faded line which has now got stronger and then took another one 2hours later and its negative what shud i think?
well i have being having positive and negative pregnancy tests for over the last 11 days, i am pretty sure i am not pregnant as i think at this stage they would all be posiive, if the first positive one was last last, i dont no what to think, i am just scared why i am having all these posiitve tests for no reason,
hello my name is Angel and i have some of the same problems as you guys. i'm nearly 3 weeks late and i have a few of the symptoms i feel pulsing in my stomach its weird but anyway my nipples are extremely tender and i have blue veins so obvious in my breast i took a pregnancy test and it was kinda negative kinda positive  not sure what to think.

the reason i say kind of is because the positive is just like a shadow not totally obvious but you can see where it is but looks mainly negative fyi i have low hcg
if you use for first mornign urine for the one you took this morning and then you went away and did another one 2 hours later.... inbetween that time did you have any thing to drink??
oops i just realized when  rachs last post was put up LOL......

darkndistorted.. can you explain what you mean by kinda negative kinda positive
I have had 1 positive test and 2 negative tests am i pregnant, when i was pregnant with my 1st nearly a year ago all i was having was negative for a few weeks then i had 2 positives. Me and my partner have been trying for 7months now and i really want 2 now if i am pregnant, i feel like i am i got the symptons. Im going to the doctors today so hopefuly i can find out soon.
I am going through the same thing I have had 4 positive pregnancy tests and two negative one after 3rd positive and one after 4th  positive i am very confused too i was wondering what you found out from the doctor
I took a pregnancy test and it came back positive. I took another later on that day just to make sure and it came back negative! And it was the same test from the same box!! So i waited til got home from work, took one again and it came back negative?! Idk what to think!!! Does someone have an answer for me please :(
They work best when you use them first thing in the morning. thats when your levels will be the strongest.
My girl friend and I had sex. After which she takes postinor2 about 24hours later. We had sex on the 18th of april and she took the drug on the 19th of April. She took a urine test yesterday morning and she got two different results. The first was positive and the second positive. We then went for a blood test and we still got two results. Pls we are confused, what do we do next to confirm her status.
I am trying to get pregnant, I bleed a little on the 14th August and 15th august which was two days late for my regular cycle.  I did a preg test on the 16th came positive but very slight, did another one the next morning again very faint lines, went a got clearblue dig tests 2 pack.  did one on friday afternnon came back positive, then to reconfirm did one on sunday morning again positive.  Went to doctor Tuesday got blood test, rang Friday the nurse said blood normal all other tests good.  Did another preg test yesterday 25th Negitive result, did another dig one this morning Negitive.  I still have signs of pregnancy.  Is it possiable I lost my baby??
I am not due for my period until next week but I recently had unprotected sex a little over a week ago, I've been having slight cramps in my lower abdomen kinda like period pain and I feel bloated and more tired than usual, I took a home pregnancy test first thing this morning and it came up with a really faint second line so I did another 1 a few hours later but it was negative.. is it possible that the positive could be wrong..and if I'm not pregnant why do you think I might be getting these cramps..?
Hello I took 6 pregnancy tests on the 5th they all come back positive but then on the 10th I started my period it wasn't painful or anything but then when I come of today I took 3 more tests and they all come up negative I'm really confused :/