Maternal & Child Community
Possible Macrosomia??? Anyone have info on this...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey all...I just got back from the doctor.  I'm 36w 2d.  I've been limiting my carbs/sugars for the last 4 weeks or so (borderline failed my glucose test - had only gained 10lbs so my doc did not send me for the 3 hours test, instead just told me to limit carbs/sugars.)  Today he did an u/s and pelvic exam.  He said i am not dilated or effaced at all.  The baby has dropped - and he is estimating her current weight at approximately 7lbs.  He STRESSED not eating ANY carbs or sugars, for the next 4 weeks because the baby has the potential to be 10lbs if I don't watch.  I also crossed my ankles while I was there - and got an indentation that didn't go away for 30 minutes!!  That has never happened before...he said to up my water intake and limit salt to help with this.  Anyway...he wants me to go get an U/S in 2 weeks (well...September 4th) to find out the size of the baby.  The prescription he wrote says "Term Pregnancy.  Suspect Macrosomia.  Biophysical Profile and Estimate Size."  What exactly is macrosomia???  I googled it and just keep reading stuff about the dangers of large babies.  Does anyone have experience with this?  My fiance was an 11 pounder - so isn't there just a chance that she's taking after her daddy??  Getting a little nervous about delivery...
I've heard that term before, but don't remember the definition or w/e. Sounds like you are just getting a BPP plus a weight check on the baby. I think it's very possible that he could be just taking after his daddy. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. My niece was 9lbs 3oz when she was born, and it's estimated that my DD would be over 9lbs if I carried her to term. They suspect my DD at 37wks will weigh 7 1/2lbs. Try not to worry.... limit your carbs, but if hes taking after his daddy then it might not help. =)
It means the baby could be large. Possible problems with this during birth are blood sugar problems in baby after delivery and shoulder dislocation/displasia while coming out of the birth canal.
They could monitor your blood sugar during delivery, if they dont mabye ask them to.
I think another potential problem is jaunidce.
Thanks ladies...back to salads I guess...my dh keeps telling me she's going to be bigger than me by kindergarten.  This doesn't sound like it's going to make for a fun delivery!!!  "displasia" is another term i am not familiar with...so back to google...i'll probably just make myself crazy for the next 25 days...
Im sorry I think that may or may not be the term(word). It basically means the should  could get nerve damage. Remember though COULD.

Also remember when they palpitate for fetus weight that can be off a pound or two as well as when they do the ultrasound.

Was your fundal height off? Or did it measure on for your term?
Im sorry the word is dystocia
I think as long as your doc monitors the baby you will be fine.

My husband was a large baby 10 lbs. he also had jaundice. As well as his brother who was 9 lbs  My mother in law suspected that she had gest. diabetes, I dont know if they didnt check for that yrs. ago. She now has diabetes today.
But of course the babies were perfectly fine. Another thing was she had gained a ton of weight when she was pregnant. She is also a very tiny asian woman and she got him out vaginally, just fine.
my babies are at risk too. i have gestational diabetes. it means they are larger than " normal" which makes for a difficult delivery for mother and child. the shoulders could dislocate and they could be producing alot of insulin on their own to compensate for your own high blood sugar which will result in theirs plummeting after birth. that is usually completely correctable right after delivery with glucose.

don't worry too much.
Also I don't know about where you ladies live or your doctors, but doctors here won't deliver a baby if it's too large. They will go straight for a c section.
Its always a choice.  No one can perform a C/S unless you agree to it.  
Is there a cut-off weight where a doc will suggest that a c-section is smarter?  I'm just trying to prepare myself...if I go on 9/4 and he tells me the baby is still extremely large do you think he'll try to induce me right away?  Or do you think he'll suggest scheduling a c-section.  And if he's scheduling a c-section - will I have to wait for my due date?  Or will he schedule it anytime after that u/s?  I'll be 39 weeks by then!  The u/s place actually said (when I made my appt) - wow...hope you make it to 9/4.  Me too!  I don't want to go into labor not knowing how big she is now that it's been suggested to me that she's too big!  Now I am just scared...
Ultrasound can be off by as much as a pound.  If your doctor feels the baby is too large for your pelvic structure, he/she will tell you, and will give you the best advice.  There is no real cut off, it depends on your pelvic exam, which obviously only your doctor can assess.  

There are certainly more and more elective C/sections for macrosomia.  It is a personal choice.  C/S's are not risk free for you, either.  You will just have to look at all your info, talk with your doctor, and make a decision.  

Also, sometime doctors right "macrosomia" on the ultrasound request in order to get the insurance to pay for it, when it may be that you are just a little on the bigger side.  Don't read too much in to it.

thanks peek...hopefully he's just playing with the insurance co!!!!

i'll keep you all posted...for now - more nesting...i think i've washed anything i can get my hands on!!!
I agree with Peek about ultrasounds possibly being out by a pound. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and they estimated DD (no 3) was 7 and a half pounds (I'd had shoulder dystocia with my 2nd who was 8lb 4 oz - so they were just keeping a check on me). I was induced at 38 weeks and she was 7lb 1 oz so either she shrunk or they were a bit out!
Ruth xx
My first baby they did not catch the size till he was born, but he was macrosomic and his shoulder did get stuck, but they got him out just fine.  He pulled my cervix out too, but you know it was all okay.  I didn't gain much weight and my sugars were great, they had no reason to believe his size was large.  He was 10 lbs. 3 oz. at 41 weeks.  Obviously the u/s didn't capture his size well.  My second son they did not even try to estimate since the u/s can be off.  They just induced at 39 weeks and he was only 8 lbs. 13 oz.  Very manageable.  Don't stress, if your Dr. is concerned they will talk to you about your options.  Just talk to your Dr. and see.  I did know a gal that was told her baby was already 8 lbs. at 37 weeks, she went into labor on her own the next morning and had a little girl barely 5 lbs.  She was so freaked out after her last appt. and they had been predicting large baby for several weeks.  Her little girl is 7 weeks older than my littlest one and he weighed more at birth than she did at 7 weeks.  She's still petite and is in 0-3 months clothing still and several pounds lighter than my little moose.  I did the crazy nesting too, washed everything possible, but it was nice to come home to a spotless house.  Good luck!!!
if the ultrasounds can be off a pound either way is there way they can tell for sure if the baby(ies) are going to be marosomic? they have me worried because my GD is being difficult and i am thinking that i will have big babies based on the ultrasounds. but if they are a pound off, that's a big deal.
They really can be off, sometimes they are pretty close though.  If they are concerned about size, and especially if you have GD they may opt to offer you a C-section.  They did that for my DH's cow-worker.  She had GD both times andthey prediceted large babies.  The first one was barely 8 lbs. and the second one came right after mine and again, barely 8 lbs.  I did not have GD and barely gained wieght and both of mine were larger than hers.  Good luck.
I just had my baby girl by c section because she was macrosomic. A big baby, she was even bigger then we thought she was gonna be she weighed  11pds 1 oz and was 22 inches long. We laugh and tell people  we didn't have a new born I delivered a toddler... All in all my dr strongly suggested a c section because we had and ultra sound and measured her head and shoulders and he tought there would be a 30% chance of her having shoulder dystocia. I personally feel that a 30 % chance was to high to risk my baby's life and well being that I disappointedly agreeded to the c section. Well great thing I did because even during the surgery her shoulder got a little stuck and they had a lot of tugging and pulling to due to get her out. She is big and healthy. I'm not sure why she turned out so big but my hubby and I are not little people. I'm 5'7 wt before pregnacy 198 at end of pregnancy wt 238 . I gained a healthy amount of weight and was not diabetic she was just a big baby. My hubby is also a big guy 6'1 wt 410 ( he plays football). Please make sure the measure your baby's head and shoulders during your ultrasound. Good luck and have a healthy delivery!!!!
well see, they may offer c-section, but i would rather that be my last alternative. i really don't want to go that route unless the doctor feels the babies are at risk. i don't even know why i feel that way, i guess it goes back to the way i was raised with always trying the most natural route first( not that c-sections are a bad thing)

i would rather be induced early if they are getting big(provided their lungs are ready(which means amnio to test) if at all possible, but then....geez there isn't a clear cut answer. i'll play it by ear and trust my doctor, he knows i want c-section to be my last resort
so the head and shoulder measurement is probably more important than the weight then? that's good to know. i go back the 28th for another level 2 and i'll double check that :)