Maternal & Child Community
Possible Miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Possible Miscarriage?

I took a HPT 12/26/11 and found out I was pregnant. I went to planned parenthood 1/4/12 and told the dr I had some light spotting that concerned me. She checked me and said there was no bleeding and my cervix was closed (which was a good sign), but if I began having cramps or heavier bleeding I needed to go to ER. 1/5/12 I noticed some more bright red when I wiped and told my boyfriend I wanted to go to ER to make sure things were ok. We went and the Dr. did another vaginal check, swabbed me and said there was some bleeding but not a lot. Tried to do an ultrasound but nothing was detected, so I was sent for a transvaginal ultrasound. They originally 'guessed' I was around 9 weeks based upon the first day of my last period, however I didn't feel as though I was that far along. When the ultrasound tech looked, she saw only the sac which was only around 2mm (very small) and said I was more around 4-5 weeks pregnant rather than 9. There was also some type of hemorrhage next to the sac. She said it was relatively small and she didn't think it was going to be a problem. I was taken back down to ER, to get my diagnosis from a different DR who originally checked me, and he said "threatened miscarriage" and my HCG levels were 800. He told me I needed to get them re-checked within 48 hours, and he thought it was more than a 50% chance I'd miscarry. The next day I had menstrual like bleeding (not as hard as my menstruation bc mine are very hard), cramps and eventually passed a tissue like clot (which I kept for my OB). I knew I had to be miscarrying. I got my levels re-checked lastnight and they dropped to 338. I'm still bleeding (it's been 3 days now) and my OB appointment is Tuesday. I'm impatiently waiting and just want to know if anyone has experienced this and continued to have a full term pregnancy or if it ended in miscarriage?
Well, sweetheart, if  your hCG levels are dropping that much, it really does sound like a miscarriage whether or not you had any other symptoms.  I'll cross my fingers for you when you have your ob appointment that you find the hCG to be rising.  (If so, you might have lost one embryo but not another, if you had more than one to begin with.  Slim odds for that to be the case, but odder things have happened in pregnancies.)  Good luck.
yes it doesnt sound too good as your hcg levels have dropped quite alot, usually if they rise slowly, start levelling out of drop then a miscarriage is inevitable,, that along with the tissue like clot does suggest that you have had a miscarriage, sometimes the hemmorage can cause you to bleed and pass some rather large clots but agin the hcg levels would still have to be rising for it to be considered a viable pregnancy, so I would prepare yourself for the worst, you may have has what is called a blighted ovum, which is where the egg is fertilaised and implants and it continues to grow, but no baby develops and is often seen in u/s when a women thinks she is around 12wks and hads her scan she finds that the sack is only measuring say 5wl 2days and no baby has developed
Thanks ladies. I am ultimately expecting the worst at this point. I'll honestly be relieved just to visit my OB to actually find out whats going on. I refused to go back to the ER unless I was having serious complications because I felt as though they didn't know what they were doing. The Dr who first examined me (gave me a pap basically) wasn't even the Dr who gave me my diagnosis. It just ***** since this was my first pregnancy. But thanks again for your responses.
I'm really sorry!  I agree with the others that those levels don't sound very favorable.  If you do end up losing this little bean I hope you can recover quickly!  I've had several losses and know they are very sad, no matter what stage the loss happens.