Maternal & Child Community
Possible blighted ovum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Possible blighted ovum

I recently had an ultrasound with did not show an embryo in my uterus.  My doctor said that I was measuring at 6.5 weeks and that I had a blighted ovum.

My question:  should I have a another ultrasound in a week to confirm this?  My levels all went up during the week of the ultrasound and I still feel pregnant, except I have had light bleeding for a week now.
I read your post and I feel like I was reading about me.  However, I do not want to give you bad news.  I wrote a post a few days ago, and I was so sad when someone gave me bad news about my situation.  But I will just tell you what happpened with me...and I am not saying it will happen to you.  (I pray it doesn't).  I went in for my first ultrasound on Thurs.  I was experiencing some slight brown spotting all week and felt pregnant.  However, I was still a little skeptical about the bleeding.  The dr. saw a blighted ovuum and told me two things could be happening.  It is going to miscarry or I am really only 4-5 weeks along, and therefore, it would be normal.  Due to the bleeding, he was leaning towards a miscarriage.  Fri the bleeding turned into bright red blood and in the middle of the night, huge clots developed as well as severe cramping in my middle lower abdomen.  I miscarried yesterday morning and has a D&C done right away.  I pray that yours will turn out differently than mine.  
What is your blood like?  Any cramping?   Still feeling pregnant today??  On Fri, I was not feeling pregnant at all...boobs were not sore anymore, and my stomach felt totally different.  It is good that your levels are going up...mine were only at 140...do you know where yours were?  They will probably do another ultras next week to see how the sac is developing...and they will do blood tests to see how your levels are adjusting.  They never got that far with me becuase the miscarriage happened right away for me.  Hang in there.  Again, do not take this post as bad news...it is just one experience and I am hoping that your situation is different than mine.  I will pray for you.
Mags
Thanks for you response. I'm still very confused.  I had a blood test last Monday and my levels were 19,400.  Again on Wed. and the were 24,800.  On Friday, I had the ultrasound and that's when they didn't see anything.  

Yes I still feel pregant.  My breasts are still very sore, but the bleeding has not stopped.  It's very light and started out pink, but has not turned to light red.  Last night I saw a clot and it scared me even more. I haven't had any cramping and the bleeding has not been heavy at all.  I can actually get a way with a panty liner.
Well, your levels sure are pretty high.  Just watch the color of the blood...if it changes, call your dr.  You might be just fine though...many women bleed throughout their pregnancy and their babies turn out just fine.  My boss at work just told me that during her pregnancy, she bled a lot and even passed clots of red blood.  Her baby turned out healthy.  Good luck to you..and please keep me posted.  I would really like to hear how things go for you.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Maggie
Thank you. Even though the doctor said it was a blighted ovum, I refused to have the D & E. I want to wait until Wed. and then have another ultrasound.  If nothing shows then, I'll have to assume she was correct.

If there is anyone else out there who had a similar situation, please respond.
Hi there!

i replied not so long ago to someone else who experienced a blighted ovum, so you may or may not have seen what I wrote.
I experienced a blighted ovum a few years back - i'd technically reached 12 weeks and went to see my midwife for the 1st time. i told her how I was not feeling pregnant- so she said she'd have a listen to the heartbeat. however we could not hear anything and that's when warning bells were ringing for me. Sure enough the next day at work I started spotting- brown stuff, no blood and was admitted to hospital. the ultra sound showed a normal sized pregnancy sack with a foetal pole which had stopped developing around 5 weeks. they said to me to wait unless i'd got my timing wrong (which i knew i hadn't) therefore i went through xmas with a false pregnancy. i went for another scan a week later and the pregnancy sack was starting to expel itself. I declined any medication  to speed the process up and a few days later i experienced a heavy bleed.
that is my experience of a blighted ovum. i never had my levels checked but as that lady said on her mail it is a good sign that they are increasing.
please let me know how you get on. Do you think you may have got your dates mixed up?
My boss did not say.  She really didn't get into everything...she was trying to reassure me that some women do bleed and that maybe mine was going to be fine.  But, I really have heard of women bleeding.  For example, my aunt told me that she bled during both of her successful pregnancies.  Try to relax...I hope that other women respond to you...I would like to hear others' experiences.  Isn't it hard waiting...hard waiting to see what is happening with your body.  I feel like that is what pregnancy is all about...the whole waiting period can be such agony.  I was getting so frustrated because the dr. is unable to give you a direct answer as to what is happening.  Hang in there...I know it is hard though.  Try posting your question on this other website: http://pub176.ezboard.com/fconceptionstorefrm1

Maggie
Also read:
my post from a few days ago when I was experiencing what you are now.  Some women responding to my question.

Titled: Is this normal during early pregnancy? - magabell Dated: 2/7/2004

Hope this helps.
Did your boss tell you when she had her first ultrasound?  How soon did they see the fetus or hear a heartbeat?
I have had a blighted ovum and they did not determine this until I was 8 weeks. With the second one the baby did not develop and this was not noticed until 9 weeks. I had ultrasounds once a week until the hcg levels went from 70,000 to 4,000 since the week before's appointment, so it was pretty obvious and I didnt question it.
There have been many cases where they are not as far along as they think. You may not have ovulated until later...etc...
I would wait or get a second opinion. There have been to many women who scheduled ther d&c and went in and they did one more ultrasound and saw there was a baby only measuring a week behind or so.
MY ADVICE...............WAIT!!!!!!!!
I have read your comments and my heart relly does go out to you. i bet you feel you'de like to have xray vision to see whats going on inside  your body.  I miscarried last April at 11 weeks then was overjoyed to be expecting again at the end of August. About 10 weeks later i started loosing a bit of brown blood and went to the doctors.  She sent me for an ultrasound.  On the screen was a black sac with an yolk like attatchment.  I was told I could have got my dates wrong and was only 5 weeks or that the baby had only reached that stage and no further.  I was offered a d & c but i wanted to make sure because At that time there was no reason for the bleeding that she could see.  I was told to wait a fortnight and go back for another scan to detect a heartbeat.
I did nothing but worry then alas 3 days later i started bleeding heavily. Bright red blood with a few clots.  The pain was lower down nearer the vagianal region.  I rang the hospital and they gave me another appointment to for a scan.  Sadly I had suffered a miscarriage. However it had totally come away so i didn't need an operation after all.  I hope you will be ok but my advice would be to make thoroughly sure there is no hope of growth first. Take care and my prayers are with you.
Thank you all for your responses.  I'm going to wait and do another ultrasound on Wed.  My Doctor wanted me to do the D&C immediately following the ultrasound, but I refused and asked for another ultrasound.  Although, she seemed quite sure I had a blighted ovum, I had a hard time believing it because of the increase in my levels.  If they don't see anything by Wed.  I'm going to have to assume she was correct and go forward.  I think if I were bleeding heavily or had any cramping I would feel different, but I'm not.  Right now I'm not sure what to think.
Hello

I have had  failed pregnancies, my first ended at 16 weeks, it was an anancephaly baby (its head had not developed properly) although it was still alive.  My second pregnancy was a blighted ovum which required a d&c, it did not feel like a proper pregnancy to me I must admit as I had no sypmtoms at all. My third was a miscarriage, I had a total miscarriage though and so avoided the dreaded d&c.  I would just love to wave a magic wand and have a healthy baby in front of me, but I won't give up.  It's comforting to know that alot of the feelings I have felt most other women on this site have felt and experienced too.  Life's a ***** huh, as if getting pregnant wasn't hard enough, mother nature throws so much **** in some of our faces to boot!
Just came back from e/r. Brown spotting and mild cramping.  I had just down some moderate walking on treadmill and thought I might of overdone it.  Dr. advised possible blighted ovum or just bleeding from cervix or plug which he said can happen and his wife experienced the same during her pregnancy.

Holding out hope!!!

HGC was 55 going back on Wednesday to see if count is higher?????
I am surprised that they are making you wait that long to get the 2nd blood test.  When the dr. suspected a miscarriage (blight ovum) for me, he had me get my 2nd test taken two days later.  I feel for you...the waiting game is torture.  Best of luck to you...and I hope that things work out.
Maggie
Hi Everyone!  I just came home from the doctor and he told me it looks like I have a blighted ovum.  I came on the internet to read and see what it was, and I ran across this sight.  I just found out I pregnant Friday.  It's really hard to find out things like this.  When I found out I was pregnant I cried because I already have 3 beautiful daughters and I'm only 26.  Ijust got a divorce, it became final 2 weeks ago.  So I was really upset to find out I was pregnant.  But over the weekend I came to terms with having another baby.  I have no idea how far along I am or could be.  They did an ultrasound today and there was no baby in the sac.  So I dont really know for sure what is going on.  They did blood work and I have to go back in two days and have it repeated. And go next Monday for another ultrasound.  I'm not bleeding or cramping or anything, and have all the symptoms of pregnancy.  Its just hard to wait a week to know if the baby is still there.  I'm not going to say I'm glad other people have went through this and I'm not alone because I'm not.  It's awful that people experience these things but GOD has a plan.  That's what my doctor told when when I found out about this baby and thats the same thing they told me today.   I just wanted to tell someone how I feel.  There is noone for me to talk to here.  God Bless You All!!!
hi my name is jessica and iam 19 years old i have been with my boyfriend now for almost 5 years and we already had one tubal pregnancy that has ended in surgery which i had my right tube removed..so when i found out i was pregnant about i was very happy..right now i have heard i am 3, 4, and 5 weeks so i dont kno which one i really am.. i have had 2 ultrasounds 1 vaginal and they said they see nothing but a gestational sac..the dr thinks i have a blighted ovum..im really scared that this time im not going to have a normal pregnancy once again..my sister told me i should wait so i told the DR that i want another ultrasound i get it on friday he said my HCG levels are going up alot and my body is doing everything right excpet he doesnt see a fetus..could i have just ovulated late maybe?? do u think i should keep waiting and how long should i wait?? the DR mentioned a D&C but i really dont want another surgery he said my body should naturaly misscarry but i havent seen and large amounts of blood just dark brown spotting and not even alot of that i have only see the spottling maybe 3 times and not 3 days in a row they were spaced apart..iam not having any cramping or pain..i feel very pregant i have all the symptoms the sore breast, tiredness and i eat alot..im confused i dont kno what to do im hoping that everything works out..and i juss thought it would be good to hear what other people had to say..thanx
if your 3,4 or 5 weeks pregnant it really might be too early to see anything. wait a few more weeks and then have an ultrasound done. if the doc said your hcg levels are going up a lot i sould say dont worry about it. THATS GREAT! wait before you concider doing anything. give it time to see a fetus.
i had a blighted ovum - i went to ER for bleeding at 9w and my sac measured 6w2d and they saw nothing but the sac - i chose to wait because my dr said there might be a chance - i would wait - you are still early
No matter how many times you go through the loss of a baby it never gets any easier. I lost 2 pregnacies before I had my daughter who is now 20 months. I took a test at home and then had a friend of mine in Radiology do a ultrasound. I appear to be 6wks by measurement of the sack although there absolutely now signs of baby in there. I already started gaining weight and feel nausea and tender boobs and the slight discomfort of what feels like my uterous stretching as it did with my daughter. Although,there is still a little margrin of hope I am devestated once more and heart broken. Why should I feel sick? Why should I feel pregnant? Why do I have to keep nurturing it when it's no longer alive? There are no good answers to these questions. The first 2 miscariages my husband didn't know how to support me and I didn't know how to ask until last nite after finding out about this baby... I got infurriated at him for not paying attention to how I was acting and comforting me. I threatend to hurt him which I've never done before and I cried out loud and said things I don't remember now (which is probably best)but, I told him what I needed and he held me while I cried and cried and cried probably a total of a hour and half. So, if the Daddy is not showing you support, don't think he actually knows what to do cause it took 3 times to receive comfort from my husband. Just get mad if you need to bu, tell him what you need and get our cry out.
The other thing is.... You might be feeling like you'll never be a mom, you'll never have a baby. Just because you have not be blessed with holding you healthy, happy baby in your arms DOES NOT mean that you do not have a beautiful baby and that you're not a wonderful mother. It does not take that away from you. Not that I go around saying it to people but, I am a proud mother of 4 beautiful babies and one of which is here with me now.
I hope that this gives some comfort and possibly healing to some mothers.