Possible fetal brain stem cysts detected on an ulta sound
I am 20 weeks pregnant and I just was told there is a possibility of cysts on the brain stem of my unborn child.  I am scheduled for further prenatal testing in three days with a geneticist.  My question is, if a cysts is located at the brain stem is there any treatment and what is the prognosis?
When a good friend of mine was pregnant her u/s also showed cysts on her babys brain. Her Dr. sent her to a high risk Dr and they told her they see these more often than not.  The cysts eventually shrunk and her son is an active 6 yr old in kindegarten.  Good Luck
Hi CreeCree, my son had a choroid plexus cyst at his 20w US. Apparently these are pretty common and harmless, often they disappear. I know this is a different part of the brain, but hopefully the ones your baby has/may have are harmless as well.
Thank you for your responses!  Any good news is great news at this point!
I found a website for you - it sounds really hopeful.  Sounds like more often than not,  this isn't a problem.

Best wishes,  and prayers!

http://www.amnionet.com/p67.htm
Yes, I've also heard that cysts are common and do shrink with time.
my first daughters u/s showed cyst in brain as well..i was monitored very closely and by around 30 weeks it shrank...and she is perfectly fine...hang in there..sometimes doctors scare you more then needed
HI! IM 21 WEEKS PREGNANT AND WAS TOLD YESTERDAY AT MY U/S THAT MY BABY BOY HAS N VERY SMALL CYZT IN HIS HEAD. THE U/S SHOWED NO OTHER DEFECTS AND MY BLOOD TESTS CAME BACK 100% NORMAL! i am so scared and cried myself to sleep last night! i don't know what to do or who to speak to! i love my baby already and can't think of him as harmed in any way! what should i do????????????????????????? the doc says that i shoudn't wory about it but how can anyone expect you not to worry when its your child that has the cyst?????? please help me! im busy stressing myself into n coma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in the same boat. I was told also last week that my little boy has a CPC.I WAS DEVISTATED! And I never saw it comeing. I have 2 other healthy children 3 and 2. In which I had perfectly normal ultrasound wherre nothing came back. "abnormal".Everything else looks normal. And he is even in the 70% already for overall size.  Anytime I have a free minute I am on the internet researching every possible outcome. Studies show that if found by themselves they "probably" dont indicate anything.  I went for my 2nd ultrasound today but wont get the results back until Friday. HOwever I did get my quad screening test back today and it was normal. At this point though, it is really scary. No matter  how many normal test results  I get from this point on  it is not enough assurance to ease the stress . Pregnancy is supposed to be a relaxing time to fantasize about your life with your new baby and when you get negative information it makes it almost impossible to relax. I have had so many vivid nightmares and I still have 4  1/2 months to go. I think I am going to go ahead and go for the amnio. Anyone else there?