Maternal & Child Community
Post Partum Abdominal Pain - When to Call?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The past few days I have had a very sharp pain in my upper abdomen above my belly button.  Its not necessarily present when I am pumping but sometimes it is.  I also feel like I have had pain in my lower abdomen when I pee, so maybe I have a bladder infection?  I am not sure if this would be my uterus contracting or what, so I am curious as to your thoughts of when would be a good time to call the OB.  Thanks!

-Bearhitch
Geesh, not a taker on your question!  I forget if you had a c-section or not. My first reaction was gas. Are you feeling any better? Ugh, uterus contractions are the worst, let me know if you're feeling better or if you had to call :0)
well i know after one has a baby the uterus will contract to get back to its normal size and ouch i know it hurts...i hear it hurts more if you are bf or if it isnt your first...good luck hun..it doesnt hurt to call for your piece of mind but they are called "after pains" and it feels like labor all over again...i remember tensing up soo bad and crying thinking it was worse than labor...
Thanks for the comments - I am pumping, this wasn't my first and I did have a c-section so it could quite possibly be after pains as CYW suggested.  I think I'll wait to call, just to see what happens.  It just had me concerned because my bleeding had stopped and now it is coming and I am having cramping with that...

It seems like I am the doctor's a lot so I will give this one some time I think.  Thanks again!
I nursed my first 2 and had 2 sections.  The start and stop of the bleeding and cramps for sure sounds to me like uterine contractions. I would go several days without bleeding and then have a gush *(tmi) and asked my dr. if I was over doing it? He said it was just my uterus contracting. I hope you have more of a piece of mind.