Maternal & Child Community
Post Partum Bleeding very concerned......

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my son approx 5 months ago I've been bleeding ever since.  I took the depo the day after delivery and have not taken another one since. When I had my son he was a very big baby and I had 4th degree lacerations from him, but that is all the damage that I know was done.  As far as the bleeding I have only stopped for a total of all together 10 days.  It's pretty much always heavy.  I also have been having migraines for the last three weeks almost everyday.  I don't think this can be normal but my doctor tested my blood to see if it was thin and it wasn't so they told me not to worry.  But I am worried.  Is this in anyway fashion or form normal???  Does anyone have any idea on what this could possibly be caused from.
You need to get back into your OB/GYN! Sometimes with continued bleeding after delivery, especially as long as you have been bleeding, it may be possible they did not deliver all of the placenta which could cause prolonged bleeding.  A typical lochia (the bleeding after delivery) should last no longer than 6 weeks, 8 weeks at the very most. Be sure to get in and get an examination done.
They didn't even do an exam they just tested your blood!
Definatly get back to your ob/gyn.  if it isn't the placenta thing, then they need to make sure you don't have a fibroid (not sure of sp)  I know they will bleed a lot.  that is how they discovered my sisters her cycles were backwards, 7 days off 28 or more on af.
Yeah, you really need to go back to your OB/GYN, not trying to scare ya. But they would be the ones to fix your situation. I bled a long time after our baby was born, but not that long. It subsided in about 8 weeks I think. You could have a tiny piece of placenta still in there, or maybe it`s something hormonal from the shot. I have had a lot of problems since my daughter was born in 2000. My problems have been neurologically related though.
After having the depo shot I bled almost continuously for 6 months. After seeing my OBGYN about this he told me this is a side affect that occurs in 10% of women.  Thanks for telling me beforehand!  He wouldn't do anything to make it stop. He said my blood level was fine and just to wait it out.  I will never again take depo.  It is associated with many side affects including infertility. Last I heard there was a lawsuit pending.

I had a C-section 6 weeks ago and the regular bleeding pattern reduced in intensity around 5 weeks ; however I have started bleeding again since the last 10 days. It started off light with some spotting then stopped then got heavy. My OB/GYN said it could possibly be the start of my menstrual cycle and keep a tab on the progress and inform her after 10 days if it did not change.
On the 10th day it got heavy again and I called the OB/Gyn who went over the symptoms and prescribed Naproxen & Methergine for stopping the blood flow and making the uterus go thru contractions. The medication had some effect as the bleeding reduced and then stopped for a day. However the bleeding has started again on a reduced level despite taking the medication.

Could someone please let me know if this is a normal occurence or a pattern leading on to something more than normal which is a matter of concern.Would appreciate feedback
i am currently having the exact same experience as you just had a c -section after, 5 weeks i was done bleeding within the next 4 or 5 days i then started spotting which soon turned to filling up a pad every 2 hours over a 2 day period. i tried methergine,(no success). they than admitted me back in the hospital on a pitosen iv drip. that slowed it down a lot. but still bleeding lightly. this has been going on about 7 to 9 days. the doctora arent sure why........
I had a c section under general anesthesia almost 7 weeks ago and i havnt stopped bleeding since either.  I have a history of excessive bleeding and heart problems.  I keep calling my gyno and they said it can take months to regulate.  Im really frustrated about pushing the issue because they make me feel like a hypochondriac, but i have to go back to work in two weeks and i am constantly going and on my feet at work.  I keep getting dizzy and almost passing out.  Im cold all the time and pale as hell.  Why don't the doctors take this stuff seriously.  I thought i was the only one having this problem.  Any suggestions?    
It's now been 4 weeks since I had my son and i had stopped bleeding after 2 weeks, but a week after I stopped, I started again and this time it seems to be a little heavier. Im not soaking the pad, but it's been going on almost another 2 weeks and i tried looking for similar cases and can't seem to find any. I'm just wondering if anyone else went through this too and if i should be concerned?
I had a complicated delivery where I had excessive bleeding and my placenta got stuck....I bled heavily for 5 weeks pp then it slowed but didnt stop till about 7 weeks. At 8 weeks pp I started bleeding again as was told most likely that this was my period even though I am breastfeeding. I had to keep an eye on it and if it stopped and happened again in a month then we were good if not to call....Well it stopped after about 6 days and I was good for 18 whole days then started bleeding again and heavy, It was just like a period so I assumed my body was just trying to get back on track. Bled for 9 days this time and then it stopped. Thought all was good but that was this past Sunday when it stopped and I started spotting again 2 days ago and bleeding yet again today......So at 13 weeks pp I have only stopped bleeding for about 28 days.....Guess I will be calling the doctor back again!
I am currently 7 and a half weeks post partum froma c-section to deliver my third child. I have been bleeding on and off the whole time. I bled for about a week after delivery stopped, started again 5 days later with a heavy gush that soaked through a pad and my jeans. Sent to the hospital had an internal ultrasound which showed no retained placenta. Stopped bleeding for 3 days then started spotting again. Spotted for a week then stopped again for 2 days. Begain bleeding heavy again and thought was my period. Had my 6 week post partum, but the doctor never did an internal exam at it. Was told all was healed and I could resume sexual activities, given some birth control which I am not taking yet. Stopped bleeding again for 2 days, and am now bleeding again like a period. Is this normal and when will it stop so frustrated!!!
almost 5months post natal, had very fast but intense birth which lasted 3hrs with this my first baby, i bled 2months steady after birth and was told traces of my placenta was still left behind probably due2 fast delivery. since then had my checkup at 3months at gny ward; they said womb was well down n grand but i still feel there's something there to come away, today i passed more strings of couple tiny blood clots, is this normal??think it just end placenta left behind but bcos nearly 5months later, afraid encase i'm infected due2 lenght of time. However. i am on cerezette pill past 2months and from strings blood passing through i have 3rd period 2weeks early maybe this is also due to new pill im on?
Im 5 months pp I had a bad delivery due to a plate in the pubic bone with six screws. I delivered naturally despite the others telling my OB to do emergency c section. I lost too much blood and ended up with 3 blood transfusions. I basically had a birth without med or edidoral. Despite the several epidorals and 6 pain med they gave me. Nothing killed the pain. At all!!!! 4 weeks pp I ended up with a D&C due to excessive bleeding. The doc said he has no idea why I was bleeding so bad there was no placenta or anything left just a large amount of clots and blood. I decided on essure ( a little rod witha spring placed in the tube than the tissues grow around it and close the tubes.) he had trouble putting one side in and replaced it. About one month later the right essure came out while I was in the shower. I told him so I went back in and had it replaced again. It was very painful. I also had a depo shot a few days b4 the first attempt. When it came out I had heavy heavy bleeding. I and I have not quit since I gave birth. Now that the second one was placed I have been passing regular quarter size blood clots. The doctor told me it was from the depo and take another one the bleeding will stop. This is my second child. With my first I took the depo three times and bled for 9 months when I took my self off I quit bleeding! So I refused this second round with this child. The bleeding has not stopped but according to my OB this is fine and nothing to worry about. He is a male and I told him this is not normal. I have had my cycle since 14 and I am 24. I have already had a child and wAs on depo and even though I bled that long it was like a period. This is different I have blood clots and horrible pain. I'm afraid my body has rejected the essure but it has gotten stuck. Anyone else have had essure put in?
I had my son almost 9months ago and I have not stopped bleeding from the labor yet. I've been to the doctor and he can't find anything wrong. Can someone please tell me something??? I don't think its healthy for me to still b bleeding.