Maternal & Child Community
Postpartum bleeding. Period or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Postpartum bleeding. Period or not?

Had my first baby just over 7 weeks ago. Bleeding lasted about 3-4 weeks then stopped. Went about 1-2 weeks with no bleeding at all. Had cramps Easter weekend that felt like I used to feel when I ovulate. Started light bleeding a few days later, almost 2 weeks, ago after returning to the gym for the first time. Thought when it started that it may be my period returning but I had no cramps and bleeding remained light and  not constant. Just yesterday the bleeding got heavier and now I have period like cramps. Is this just my body readjusting or should I be worried?? Is it ok to use tampons during my first post-delivery period? I remember hearing that my first few periods may be heavier and longer, is this true?? Help!?!
Yes, it should be okay to use tampons now.  The doctor should have given you the go-ahead to resume sex and everything else at your 6 week postpartum check-up.  However, if he didn't give you the okay at your check-up then you should call him.

I remember my first period being very weird.  Timing was weird, flow was weird, everything.  It sounds exactly like what is happening with you and I'm sure it's fine.  If you start soaking more than 1 pad in an hour then go to the ER, or if you start passing huge blood clots, but other than that you're fine.

Hope this helps, good luck!
I'd have to assume your not breastfeeding, as a period at 7 weeks postpartum would be rare. If not then I agree with the other posters but will add what happened to me as I'm just now 8 weeks postpartum.

I never stopped bleeding bright red even though it wasn't heavy and I am exclusively breastfeeding. At 4 weeks I had gushing and large clots, which the nurse at my ob said was probably my period (right!). It looked like someone was murdered in my bathroom and the clots were grapefruit sized. It stopped after about an hour so OB said everything was fine. Two days later it happened again and I was given an Rx to cause uterine cramping because I must have a "lazy uterus". Took it and thought everything was good. The day before my 6 weeks checkup it happened again while I was out shopping so I drove myself to the ER. They found placenta left inside me and did a D&C right away. Now 2 weeks later I see my OB on Friday but still have bright red light bleeding that comes and goes.

That long story was just to show you never know (and sometimes your doc doesn't either) whats going on so it's a really good idea to call you dr.
I've wondered why they don't suction everything out with a vaginal too! I mean if you've got an epidural you can't feel anything and your already dilated.

Ok this will be my first, so I am wondering.  I have heard that you have bleeding after you have the baby...when you say it may not be your period is it due to the delivery?  Do you have bleeding with a vaginal delivery as well as a c-section?  How long does it last?  Then if you have bleeding and its not your period and then you get your period...how long does that last?
Just curious!
hi there iam new to this site and had a problem similar to the first writer....its been 5 weeks since i have given birth and havent stopped bleeding since then but lightly. a few days ago just when i was about ending that bleeding my period came unexpectingly, wish someone warned me..., anyways its going fast and i am not sure whether it is or isnt my period, maybe its hemmoriage bleeding cuz i had hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) during pregnancy...iam comfused...when will this bleeding STOP??? plus to make matters worse iam anemic which makes me very dizzy and weak sometimes....WHen WILL IT END?????????
i gave birth to my daughter 3 months ago. i have been bleeding for 7 weeks straight. i just started feeling nautious today. i also have alot of pain when i go to the bathroom, during and after. please help, im in a ton of pain!!
I just had a baby on 10-22-10 and i was bleeding for 3 weeks and now am bleeding again i had sex a week before my six week checkup . Is something wrong or is it my period.