Maternal & Child Community
Potty training a boy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Potty training a boy?

I'm sure this question has been asked a million and one times but here I go again.  How the heck do you potty train a boy?  We purchased a potty and just waiting for it to arrive but I googled it and it said to start with the boy sitting to urinate first.  How do I know Jayden will be interested in it and is ready?  HELP!!!
Well I don't have any children yet but I have a lot of experience with potty training. This is what I would do: When you or Richie are in the bathroom, take off his diaper and place Jayden on his potty and let him sit there for a few minutes. You will immediately know if he is not ready or interested. It's all about repetition so you just have to keep trying. Take his diaper off when he sits on the potty and put it back on when he is "done." Sooner or later when he is ready he will go. This is a hard thing to push a child to do and they really will do it when they're ready. Also, praise is huge for a child learning to potty training. He will need lot's of praise = )
Good Luck! It has been my experience that boy's take a lot longer than girl's for some reason.
Most kids indicate through various signs that they are ready to be potty trained- they should have dry diapers frequently (like at nap time or overnight or for a period of 3 hours or more at a time), they are interested in the toilet, they are able to express the fact that they know that their diaper is wet/poopy and they are interested when others use the toilet (and don't have a fear of it). I started with all my boys sitting but honestly, it quickly changed to them peeing by standing- they enjoyed "aiming at the paper in the water" (I have heard some have used cheerios). Boys love the challenge and the game :) I also found that they needed a lot of help "aiming" at first (I would help them aim it) and especially when sitting (they needed to put their "pee pee" down or else you'll have it everywhere much to their delight). They also were pretty good about standing on my feet (and then leaning against my legs for balance) at first so that they could reach the toilet bowl height. I did this too when I took them to public washrooms. It takes longer (from my experience) to get a boy trained than a girl and it also took longer to get the poop trained- the pee part was easier. My boys trained at all different ages so don't worry or push if your son is not ready yet. Even just introducing the potty is enough when they are around 2.
I noticed his diaper isn't wet in the mornings and whenever he has poop in his diaper he tells me. He knows the toilet is for peepee and he likes to flush the toilet. So I guess we will see how it goes. Thanks ladies.
HI!!  I've potty trained two stubborn boys at this point . . . a little bit of a challenge for me.  We started by heavy praise and cheering just for sitting.  Then if they went, they got more praise and maybe a skittle (we are stingy with candy----- they got like one or two and that is it).  We tried to do it on a schedule--------  put them on the potty every 45 minutes and it is bound to happen, right?  But low and behold, both got potty trained when they were darn good and ready.  I think 3 is the average age for boys to be successfully potty trained.  I had friends that got their kids trained earlier than that but my did it around 3.  It also helped to have them pick out underwear that they liked.  They got all excited about wearing them and didn't want to "ruin" them.  So good luck -----------  
I have a 3 1/2 year old and she wasn't fully trained until her 3rd birthday.  She really did not have a lot of interest and the more I pushed the worse it was.  Again, praise was a biggie.  I may have gone overboard, but I would but stuff from the $1 dollar section in target and use them as "gifts" if she went at least once every day on the potty.  She would get the gift on Friday night.  That was a great little incentive.  But really, don't push it if he really resists.  Good Luck...oh the joy you feel when they get it.