Maternal & Child Community
Pre-natal Massage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pre-natal Massage

Hi everyone, I will be 18 weeks on Saturday, and next week my DH along with friends are going to Colorado on a ski trip (Of course I will not be skiing) I am going to a spa one day for a facial and I noticed in their brochure that they do pre-natal massages. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had one while pregnant. If so what are your thoughts!! Thanks
I have had it it is so great and it relaxs the baby but wait til your 20 weeks at least because i heard if u have it before then it will feel like a attack to the baby
you only need to be out of your first trimester to get a massage. it will not feel like an attack on the baby, im not sure why someone would think that. you will love it! i would spend the day splurging with pampering, it sounds great to me :)
I wonder why you need to be out of your 1st trimester to get a massage? My husband massages me nightly, is there some kind of danger I am unaware of??? or is that just professional massages for some reason?
I've heard some different sides of the pre-natal massages.  I know a massage therapist and she said that if something is rubbed the wrong way or too long it can cause pregnancy loss.  This freightened me some myself but with my Graves' Disease and the stress and so forth my fiancee' gives me massages all the time to ease the aches and pains.
My doctor said it was ok to get a massage.  My DH got me a gift certificate for Mother's Day last year to get a prenatal massage, but I have yet to use it. My doctor said that a lot of them offer that massage, but it isn't worth the money to do it while you are pregnant.
She said that they usually don't do it all that hard or good b/c they think that it could cause labor, which she said it couldn't. She told me to save my gift certificate for afterwards, so I could really enjoy it.
I am planning on using it soon and I can't wait:)
I just had a massage done and even though I am not pregnant yet, I asked the girl about getting massages and she said that she recommends getting one at the end of the second trimester and not the begining. She said something about getting the fluids down from the body as they rub and that can cause an affect on the pregnancy at the begining. She said that to give massages to pregnant women, she needs a note from the doctor too. She also told me that she had done massages on women at the end of the pregnancy and 2 days later they go into labor. So, I dont know. I would not risk it until the last weeks of the pregnancy.
i had a pregnancy massage with my son when i was in my third trimester and it was okay but to tell the truth it was uncomfortable at times and i probably would have enjoyed it more after his birth...i have heard to avoid massages during first trimester all together but haven't hear anything about second trimester massages...sorry i couldn't be of much help...enjoy your day of pampering:)
Thanks everyone for your comments. Since I got mixed reviews, I think I will stick to facials and manicures...
Like I said I am 4 and 1/2 months pregnant today and with a previous miscarriage I do not want to chance anything.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone!!
Well it was told to me that if u do it to earl it could feel like an attack on the baby. But i got a prenatal massage and it is very relaxing. so i would say treat urself
I did both prenatal and chair massages throughout my pregnancy.  They were done by two different massage therapists.  Neither would do a massage during the first trimester.  The prenatal massage was done at the fertility clinic.  I was not that fond of the prenatal massage.  They had me laying on my side and then I had to flip 1/2 way through.  Wasn't so bad earlier in the pregnancy but toward the end it was horrible.  You will get all types of ideas on this.  Same thing with hair color and pedicures.  I did those throughout the pregnancy as well.  Some people won't.  You need to decide what your comfortable with.  I can tell you I deliver a 9lb 2oz bou of Feb 13th and he's very healthy.  None of the activities I enjoyed during pregnancy affected him.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
i am 8 weeks and just had a massage the other day.  A pre natal massage is really when you already have a belly and need a special table or you need to lay on your side.  I am still early so I had a regular massage -the only areas the therapist stayed away from were my lower back and my feet (certain areas of the feet can stimulate small contractions in the uterus - part of reflexology I think).

She focused mainly on my neck and upper back and then did my arms and upper legs.

I felt so relaxed - it was definitely worth it.