Maternal & Child Community
Preemie at 28 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Preemie at 28 weeks

DId anyone have a preemie at 28 weeks. What were the long term problems if any.
My cousin had her baby at 28 weeks, she is now 4 months!  She is doing wonderful.  Every baby is different tho.
Hi...I recently (8/26/06) had a 27 week preemie. He is still in the NICU, but gets to come home as soon as he is able to regularly feed by bottle.  He started out 2 lbs, 5 oz., and is now 4 lbs. 13 oz.  So far, he shows no signs of long-term problems, but of course, we will have to see since he is only 9 weeks old, (would be 36 weeks gestationally). I do have a cousin born 12 years ago at 27 weeks.  Today, she is very smart and sassy, but has had to wear glasses since she was a baby, and has cerebral palsy in her lower legs and feet.  She has had some surgeries to straighten her muscles, and can actually walk quite well.  I have also heard multiple stories (being the parent of two preemies) of success stories with babies earlier than mine.  There is a very, very good chance that a 28-weeker can be absolutely "normal" in the long run.
I have a friend who delivered twins at 29 weeks and they are now 9 months old and very active and show no signs of long term effects besides being still small for their average age but that is pretty normal with preemies.  They stayed in the NICU for about 10 weeks.  Every baby is different though.  One twin was almost a pound bigger and he got to come home earlier than his brother, but the smaller of the 2 is now bigger than the other.  They both had some breathing and eating trouble at first but are great eaters now. haha  I hope that everything goes well for you and remember that God has a reson for everything that happens.  I am sure he will take care of your little one.
I have a friend who delivered twins at 28 weeks.  One past within a very few hours, but the other is a normal 4 year old now with no problems whatsoever.  I guess it just depends on the child.  You cna never know until they start developing.
I know you asked for 28 weeks but I had a little girl at 23 weeks and today she is 4 and is the healthiest of the 3 children I have. She does nto even require glasses. I was hoping this would help being that 28 weeks is 5 more weeks for development. I believe in miracles and there are many success stories about preemies.
My friend had a preemie at 24 weeks.  She was in the NICU for about 6 months.
I was born at 28 weeks and I had some problems at first-lungs colasped, but I made it through fine with no long term affects. The only problems I had was being a rebel as a teen, but I grew out of it.  Still a bit of a rebel, but use it to benefit society.
A girlfriend of mine gave birth to her son at 28 weeks due to high blood pressure.  The baby was in ICU for a while.  Otherwise the baby, now 5 years old, is very brilliant and healthy.
Thanks!  The baby was born 12 weeks early.  He is still in NICU but is now 7 pounds.  He will be out soon and has had no problems except being on oxygen since birth until the past Monday.  His lungs were immature.
my son, (whom we adopted) was born at 23 6/7 days. One day short of 24 weeks. He had so many problems. He weighed 1.1 lbs and was 11.5 inches long. My husband and I did not know him around his birth so we can only imagine how tiny he was. He had and intraventricular hemorrage, reflux, retinopathy of prematurity, and atrial septal defect in his heart, he was on a respirator for around 2 months and when he was born he came into the world limp and they had a hard time intubating him. So, now his is almost 20 months old, running around like a nut and is doing amazingly well considering all the problems he had when he was born. All of the above issues resolved prior to him comming home from the hospital 4 months after his birth. He does receive early intervention services and has physical therapy and developmental therapy. So, my point is, it all depends on the child. You could have a full term baby born with multiple medical problems but on the other hand you could have a baby born before 24 weeks and be doing spectacular. premies are truely miracle no matter how early they are. I supposed babies that are early just can't wait to come into the world.
Hi, my twins were born at 28 weeks 3 days on Aug 7th. We just got the second one home from the hospital last Sun. They are both doing great! They were 2lbs. 2ozs and 2lbs 7 ozs. when they were born and now are both well over 8 lbs. and look chubby cheeked and healthy.  I don't know if they'll have any respiratory problems due to being on oxygen but other than that they seem perfectly healthy.
My baby boy is a 28-weeker. He is now 19 months doing very very well and show no signs of long term effects. He had refux until about 8 months old and grew out of it. Beside being small (19 1/2 lbs at 19 month), the only problem is constipation and he is using Miralax daily. Overall, he is doing so well. The first year was tough for us because he needs extra care and we didn't know what the outcome will be for our baby. Preemie babies are very tough one and they are truly miracle.
My son was also born at 28 weeks. He is now 22 months old and weighs 20.7 lbs. He is allergic to milk, egg, and peanut which makes feeding him a challenge. He does cough every time he runs. The doctors put him on asthma medicine but it does not seem to be working as good anymore. Is anyone experiencing this with there preemies? He also has constipation and is on medicine for that too. He is thriving and doing everything he is suppose to be doing. Preemies are all fighters and they showed us that from day one..
My daughter was born at 28 weeks. She is now 3 years old, very active and smart. Luckily, I do not see any signs of long term effects. I always make sure she is up to date with her appointments and at this time, everything is normal. You can't even tell that she is a preemie. Every babies is different. She only stayed in NICU for 4 weeks and did use oxygen only once. The only problem I had was she choked a lot and being a paranoid mom, we took her to emergency so many times, that was when she was a baby. She is a healthy little girl now, she gets sick sometimes but not severe. They are truly an angel and a miracle
My youngest sister was born at 26 week, she weighed 2lbs 4oz. she was in nicu till 1 week before her actual due date. She had problems with getting alot of chest colds when she was younger and her teeth which she still has problems with today but she is 23, has a 3 1/2 yr old daugher and a son on the way in august.
so how do u know ur going 2 have a preemie is it just like going into to labour cause im 26 weeks and the other day i started spotting and then it went away and it was bright red then it went like a brownish but when i went in they say everything was ok but the doctor wants to see me on april 15 so im kinda scared cause i been really stressed out
Surely I gest. but not for long ..... Anyway, yeah at least 2 and @  4lbs ~ OUCH. the other kids were 1 & 2 lbs so that one (those ones) I had to be 'knocked out' for. what I would do without my Anaesthesiologist I do NOT KNOW ?~!~ there should be hug a 'sleepy~time' Doc day or something ..... We've had 3 sets of twins since and THANX to almighty their 2 lbs each not 4 lb singleton. 24 wks for the twin sets.
I had my daughter at 28 weeks gestation due to a weak cervix. She weighed 2 lbs and 14 and 1/4 inches long. She had jaundice, acid reflux, apnea issues, and a blood tranfusion. She stayed in the NICU for 9 weeks before she came home. She is now 16 weeks old and weighs 6lb 12 oz. She is just perfect. If i dont tell people her age they think she is a 2 week newborn. I take her to the eye doctor every two weeks and her eyes r fine so after 1 more visit she doesnt have to go back 4 a whole year. All is good. Yuor babies will be fine. It's all about how u take care of them.
Hi - My daughter was born via emergency C-section at 28 weeks in September due to severe preeclampsia.  She weighed 792 grams, or 1 pound, 11.9 ounces.  She was in the NICU for a combined total of around 85 days.  She had no brain bleeds, but she got severe pneumonia and was on a ventilator for a month, then in early December was transferred to another hospital to have retinopathy surgery (stage 3).  She's now 5 months old and doing wonderfully.  Her ROP resolved and her lungs are always clear at her appointments.  She does have a murmur which the ped. cardiologist says usually goes away.  

Now she is a normal, happy baby, other than just being small for 5 months - she is developmentally a 2-month-old but that's expected.  The pediatrician told me they usually catch up by 2 or 3 years to their full-term peers.
My little girl was born at 28 weeks. Just alittle over 2 pounds in weight.  After many many problems in the hospital and much angonizing the first few years of life with illnesses, etc.  Everything eventually evened out.  Today, she just reached her 12 year old milestone.  You would not even know she was a preemie.  She is one of the tallest girls in her class, smart, articulate, funny, she plays basketball and volleyball and is the greatest joy of our lives.  I will offer this advice to you as a parent going through the hospital stay and the first few years.  Love that beautiful baby for who she is.  Do not get hung up on the milestones.  Get the help when needed.  God has given you a gift, love that gift and guide her to be the beautiful child she is going to be.  The rest will unfold as you get the chance watch this child grow-up.