Maternal & Child Community
Pregnacy possible after tubes clamped 5 years ago?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a tubaul legation over 4 years ago following the emergancy C-section birth of my 12lb son in May of 2003.  I had a very hard labour and they never determined the hudge size of my baby.  I was unable to deliver natural and after 5 hours of pushing was taken in for C-section.  My sons head got lodged in my pelvis and the birth was very extensive and I have a large scar from the delivery.  He was born healthy with out a trace of harm.  I had desided to have a tubaul because of the birth being so dificult and extremly painful. I have a 10 year old daughter also that was born 9ilbs.  Any how my question is I have not had a period in 2 months and I feel pregnant???  Is it possible after my tubes were clamped over 4 years ago???  Im so trilled of the thought but scared.  Im feeling ill in the morning and sick to the smell of sertain foods and moody sore breasts.  My husband isn't trilled that I might be pregnant.  Should I start with a pregnacy test?
It is unlikely but not impossible. I would take a test. If you have not had your period for 2 months then a pregnancy test would be accurate at this point. Good luck and let us know!
Should I get a sore test or go to the clinic?  Thanks for the reply.  
I would just go to dollar tree or any store and get a test. You probably wouldn't even need to use first morning urine at this point. If that is negative and you are still feeling pregnant then you could always ask a doctor for a quantitative beta hcg blood test.
I doubt it, but it does happen rarely. Probably best to test and ease your mind!
Thanks for the advice Im just freaking out here.  I live in Ontario Canada and we do not have pregnancy tests at the dollar stoires here.  That would be nice.  It costs about $15.00 for a test so thats why Im thinking of going to the walk in clinic.  The results would be better I would think.  Could there really be a chance?
I live in Canada myself. Not sure if you have any in Ontario, but here in NS they are carrying pregnancy tests at the Dollar Store (the one with the green & yellow sign :P) .. I'm getting ready now to go into the emerg clinic and ask for an Ultrasound. Not sure if they can do it but my family doctor seems to think I'm out to lunch believing I may be pregnant. My last period was Dec 20 and we seemed to be more "friendly" after that. Im due to start my next period tomorrow but there are NO signs of my period showing up. I DID spot some light pink and brownish discharge Thursday and Friday. Definitely NOT my period. They are always heavy. Ive been tired a lot more. My breasts have been bothering me and my stomach has been sore to touch. What my doctor doesnt understand is why I have a bruise aeround my belly button :S ... It doesnt hurt to touch the bruise. Just to push on my stomach. I havent had any pains associated with it. I had my tubes done in Jan 03 after my son was born. They were only clamped. I am in the process of seeing an infertility specialist so we can have my tubal reversal done (my 2 children are from a previous relationship and my husband and myself would like one together). I have a surgery appt booked for April 24th. But if I dont have to be set back $4800? Right? They have never sent me for an ultrasound to make sure my tubes are still together and that the clamps havent come off. I just dont want to be the laugh of the town when they do my surgery and find out I was able to conceive on my own the whole time =( .. I have taken home pregnancy tests but have come back negative. Not sure if I tested too soon or not. With my daughter and son, I didnt know I was pregnant until much later in my pregnancy and had an ultrasound done. I guess we'll find out if I can convince the emerg clinic to do one for me. Best of luck to everyone
If you had your last period 12/20, then it still may be too early to test, though many people have certainly tested this early.
It is definately too early for an ultrasound to be of help in diagnosing a pregnancy.  You haven't even missed a period yet!  An ultrasound would not be conclusive.  If nothing was seen, you could still be pregnant.

What you should do is to wait for a few more days to a week (assuming you don't get your period), and then test again using a first morning urine.  Then you can likely trust the results with confidence.  

It is unlikely that you are pregnant, but not impossible.  So test again in a week, and then see your doctor for furthur advice.