Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy After Tubal Ligation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy After Tubal Ligation

I just had my son in January of 2012 via C-section and had a tubal ligation immediately following. I finished bleeding in early February and I have not bled or had a period since. I have taken two different home pregnancy tests that have come back negative, but I worry because of my missing period. I know that the chances of pregnancy after this procedure are slim, but my doctor did say that it would be more likely to happen now than in a few years. I was wondering if its possible for a home pregnancy test to read inaccurately due to the tubal ligation or if I am worrying over nothing. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds and can help me.
The hpt will read accurately whether or not you have had a tubal ligation.  It measures human chorionic gonatrophin, a hormone made by the baby's placenta.  Tying your tubes does not affect it, it is in your bloodstream and urine if you are pregnant.  It doesn't measure something coming down the tubes.

I assume you waited the six weeks the doctor says to wait after a C-section, so presumably didn't have sex until mid-February; the only question I would have is if you are sure you waited long enough before testing.

In any case, with the tied tubes and the recent childbirth, it's not likely to be pregnant so fast.  Periods don't always come immediately after childbirth.  If you are nursing, especially, the prolactin could suppress your ovulation.

My guess is that your negative hpts are telling you the correct story.