Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy Scare

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy Scare

Hello, so I am 20 years old and pregnant with my first child. I am having some moderate bleeding and tiny little cramps and I am freaking out. I am 8 weeks pregnant and I have had two trips to the ER I went last week  because of cramps and I had a UTI I went yesterday because of spotting and I had no UTI and the baby is on the right spot. I don't know what to d anymore I am desperate I don't know if I am having a miscarriage or if this is normal can someone please help. Yesterday at the ER they said because of the spotting I was at risk for the miscarriage but I have been reading up and it confused me. Someone please help is this normal?
Well,  a couple of important points to know.

About 30% of women will have some bleeding in the first trimester of their pregnancy.  This is typically nothing to worry about, but you did the right thing in reporting it and having it checked out.  Cramping isn't a huge issue, again, very common in early pregnancy (actually, all the way through), but again, it's good you reported it.

Anytime a women has bleeding during pregnancy they refer to it as a threatened miscarriage.  It does not mean you WILL miscarry, it's just the terminology they use.

Unfortunately there is no way to know for certain right now, and the only thing you can do is wait it out.  I know that is incredibly frustrating to hear, and wish there was a way to know, but there simply isn't.  At around 6 to 7 weeks, your Dr. can do an ultrasound that should give you some answers.  Earlier then that, they can order 2 blood tests, about 2 to 3 days apart and monitor your Beta HCG levels.  If those levels are rising, it is a positive indicator.

I'm sorry this is so stressful for you, and I wish you all the best.
i hd bleeding at 5 weeks and 6 weeks just little spots of blood i had a u/s at 6 weeks 4 days and everything was fine! im 16 weeks 5 days noe and havent had one drop of blood since...u did the right thing if it gets heavy go straght to ER!
I am having some similiar problems although I have yet to officially declare that I am pregnant.  I have been vomitting nauseated I missed my period this week but yesterday around 11 am I had a brown discharge streak and then about an hour later I had brownish red blood followed with blood clots that turned into bright red blood and blood clots no bigger than a dime and as small as a piece of rice.  I am wondering if I am pg or what?  I took a test tuesday it was negative and my doc said to take one in a week bc my hcg levels prob are not high enough yet to detect.  but that was before this bleeding?   My aunt says she does this with every one of her 3 healthy kids when she got pregnant but I am still kinda wondering what to think here.
I forgot to add that today the cramps subsided and bleeding has slowed down quite a bit.