Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy after Ednometrial Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy after Ednometrial Ablation

Hi there i am 36 and a mother of 4. Kids, 16,13,11 & 9. I had an endometrial ablation done in Jan of 2004. I was told that i could never get pregnant. Well to my surprise i took a hpt on 04/6/11 and it was positive. I called my dr and she did a blood test called me 04/08/11 to confirm i was indeed pregnant.  Later that afternoon, i had a massive cramp on my left side and started bleeding, thinking i am having a miscarriage, i went right to the er.  I had a transvaginal u/s done, the er doc told me, that there was nothing seen in my uterus, nothing in the tubes, and a cyst on my left ovary. My HCG levels were still there, I left there with a paper saying i am either having a miscarriage, the fetus is implanted in the ovary, or it's still to early to see the fetus on u/s. The next day no cramping no bleeding. On sunday i had some cramping and a small dark red blood clot. Monday i called my doc, as i was still only spotting, she did another HCG. Wants that done every other day and another u/s on Monday the 18th. She explained to me that it could be 3 things going on. 1st i am or did have a miscarriage. 2nd that is possible it is a tubal pregnancy. 3rd is that the embryo has implanted deep in my uterus.  I have been reading and they say if you are having a miscarriage you bleed alot, and i am no. The bleeding was like my reg period. Lasted off and on for 3 days. Today no cramping and no bleeding.  I am so confused with everything going on. I am still in shock that i am even preggers after being told 7 yrs ago that i could never get pregnant again. Anyone else have this? Anyone who can help plz. I am loosing my mind no one can explain anything to me.
You don't always bleed heavily if you have a miscarriage, especially if it's early. If it was like a regular period, it sounds very much like you had a chemical pregnancy. It is possible to become pregnant after an ablation, but generally complications arise and often the female miscarries. Wait to see what your hCG comes back at. If it's dropping or already completely dropped, it was likely a chemical pregnancy.
What you were probably told at the time of the ablation is not to consider doing it until you were sure you never wanted to have any more children, an unfortunate way to put it because it apparently led you to believe an ablation is contraception.  It isn't, it instead makes the uterus so difficult a place for an embryo to implant safely that an accidental pregnancy can be life-threatening to mother and child.  (The doctors say to be sure you are done having kids not because ablation prevents pregnancy, but because it's so dangerous to get pregnant after having one, they want to be sure you wouldn't regret it later if you wanted another child.  For this reason, some doctors won't do an ablation unless the woman has her tubes tied first.)  Anyway, yes, you could have gotten pregnant even if you had an ablation, and for your sake, I do hope it was a chemical pregnancy, because the complications you would face if it is an ongoing pregnancy are massive and none of the choices are good.  I hope your doctor can give you some answers about the question of pregnancy in the next week.  The hCG numbers going down would be a sign that you had a chemical pregnancy.  Despite the usual mood on this site that a baby is a great thing, I hope that is what happened for you because your choices if it's a viable pregnancy would be very difficult.  Good luck, and keep us posted.
My doctor called me today and i did have a chemical pregnancy.  Because of my age and other issues that i have i can't be put on birth control. Thanks for everyone's help
Not IUD and not tubes tied?  Or just not the pill?  It seems very odd that any doctor would have done an ablation for someone without working on an option to prevent pregnancy, given the risks were it to happen.