Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation

After trawling the internet for information of becoming pregnant after Endometrial Ablation, cannot find anything apart from this site to help me.  I had an ablation at the beginning of 2007 and was told that this operation would be suitable for me if I didn't want more children (I have three aged 7 to 11).  However, started being sick around Christmas this year and have just found out I am pregnant.  Has anyone carried a pregnancy through after this operation? I have booked a docs appointment but really don't think he will be able to advise - will probably ask me if I have questions.  Any ideas? Thanks!
Hey, there are 2 or 3 other ladies on here that are pregno right now and also had the ablation done.  We actually have had discussions on this on this forum.  It might however be on a different page as it did take place a couple of weeks ago.  
I also had the ablation done last year.  
Good luck and get rest.  
You are correct in your concern, because complications can arrise after having the ablation and becoming pregnant.  First complication is miscarriage.  Some women haven't been able to carry their children to full term.  Also some females have died from this because they start bleeding and can't stop.
BUT
there are women on here that are pregno and they are doing well.  
I am just truly amazed why docs aren't sterilizing females before they have the ablation.  
4 months after I had my ablation I ended up getting my uterus removed.  I can tell you that ablation weakens your uterus because it took my doc a long time to remove my uterus because it was falling into pieces.  
Women that end up pregno after ablation are usually considered high risk pregnos.
Good luck and take care, hopefully everything will work out for you.
I would first go tell your doc why he thought to not tie your tubes first?  Which there are also ladies on here that are pregno after having tubes tied.  lol
Thanks! will take a look back to see if I can find the discussion.  My doctor was very honest and said "I don't know what to do" and sent me for a scan.  My uterine wall they said is normal and sac attached normally but was too early for a fetal stalk to be seen.  Said not sure of viability, so have to have rescan in two weeks.  They asked why I didn't use contraception - told them had been told twice by consultant that I couldn't have children after op and also once by my doctor when she referred me.  So as you can imagine, feel am in a bit of a turmoil as what to do!!! Thanks a lot again and will have a look back. lol
can you help me anyone i had tubes tied 6 years ago and had ablation done 3 years ago now remarried im getting tubes reversed but im affraid because ive had the 2 things that stop pregnancy anyone here had both ops ive had and still managed to get pregnant?
hi, i am suspecting that i am pregnant, i have had my tubes tied and ablation done. i have had horrible mood swings, breast tenderness, a heavy feeling in my uterus and certian foods just make me feel sick ot my stomach. i didnt know that it was even possible to get pregnant after these two procedures. i thought i may be going through early menopause at 33, but then foudn this site. Has anyone experienced the home pregnancy tests saying they were negative or inconclusive and has had these procedures done? i have a dr appointment tomorrow i am sure that blood work will get ordered as well as and ultrasound. the nurse for the obgyn said these pregnancies do not end well, the ones that do make it are rare.
I had the Nova sure procedure summer of  2008. I have had  not one period,spotting anything since. I was thrilled since previously they were 25-30 days super heavy, but it stopped them every drop.  I also have PCOS and fibroid cycts in my breasts but they have never (other than when i was pregnant) been so tender. bout one week ago my breasts became VERY sore and heavy.  I have also been super sensitive to smells. I took an at home test and it was negative.  after a few more days  with the tenderness getting worse, I called my dr and made an apt. he agreed it seemed hormonal and sent me for a simple blood test ( not the one that checks the levels only the one that shows yes or no on pregnancy) it also came back negative. I spoke with him  today and asked what the next step is and he says to sit tight and wait it out about a month and contact him if it doesn't go away. I understand there is a chance you can become pregnant after Novasure but with my PCOS and the ablation it seems my chances would be slim, especially after the negative results, but i have to say I cant shake the feeling I am pregnant. anyone have any advice, or anything?
Hi there! I am in your exact boat. I had been married and 3 kids later, with now a new husband whom has no kids. I am in dyer need! I refuse to untie my tubes but to only do ivf instead our chances would be greater. my problem is.... I had my EA done aug of 06 and have had not one period. Im trying to get a period so i can do the ivf. what have your experiences been and have you had any luck? I JUST WANT ONE WITH MY NEW HUBBY.  Do you think this situation is a loss cause? lol thanks a bunch!
I am in similar boat to you ... seems like theres a lot of us out there wanting and unsure, i am sure I am still fertile although now 43 I do have regular periods but only a very slight bleed but hardly anything since i had my mea about 7 years ago, i did go back to the hospital as they said my womb had now collapsed.  I am sure I was pregnant though last year, all the symptoms.. sickness...boobs.. etc ..at the time wasnt sure what i wanted and before i got the nerve to do a test i suffered bad heavy period which was really out of charachter ... any advice@
Hi I had my tubes tied 5 years ago and had an ablation where u don't have peroids 2 yrs ago. I'm 27 and remarried and would love to have a baby with my hubby. Anyone know if pregancy is possible and what can I do to help my chances.
Hi I've been feeling like I am preganat and I have my tubes tied and I also had a ablation I've had some breast tenderness and some movement in my stomach and I passed a huge clot about a month ago but my obgyn said that its nothing to worry about and the home pregnacy test said negative have anyone had this happen to them
Hi. I had a thermal balloon ablation done in 2006, 7 years ago. I have 2 children 15 and 10 years and I have just discovered I'm 6 weeks pregnant.
The baby is doing ok and last week I saw the heartbeat. I found out 3 weeks ago that I was pregnant and I can honestly say its been the worst 3 weeks of my life. In crying continuously because I know all the risks to baby and myself but I just can't make that decision to terminate. Even though the senior consultant at the local hospital told me to in several occasions. I'm transferring my care to a specialist hospital in Liverpool and taking each day as it comes. It's really early for me and I too like many of the women discussing pregnancy after ablation, is really scared of the health implications to us both. My partner wanted me to terminate this pregnancy as it was not planned or wanted. But we are both now resided to the fact that its here and we need to get on with it. Dies anyone on here have any current upto date info for us.
Kind regards
I was in the same situation as you until last week.  I went to the doctors at 15 weeks only to find the baby had died.  I cannot express to you the grief I am experiencing.  I want more children.  Is this possible
?