Pregnancy after abortions and misscariage
Hi Ladies,

So here we go. I am 32 yrs old. About 8 years ago, I had two abortions (sort of consecutive) and they were done in an illegal clinic with little expertise I think ( Africa- abortions are illegal in my country). I am pretty confident everything was done well, and my cycles returned to normal. Five years ago, after I moved to North America, I went to see a gynecologist and she reassured me everything was ok and I would have no problem conceiving. She put me on bcp to regulate my cycles. I got off the pill in Dec 2010 (the month of my wedding) and got pregnant in May 2011. Eleven weeks later, I had a misscariage (empty sac--the doctor said).
I decided not to have a D&C (I was afraid I might be at higher risk of accidents up there given my history) and just opted for a natural misscariage and waited for AF to come back on her own terms. My first period after August misscariage was on Nov 24th. Second AF came back a little faster on Dec 29 and last one was on Jan 27. I have been so anxious to try again, mostly because I want to believe that my two abortions didn't make me incapable of conceiving or carrying a pregnancy to term.
I am 9dpo and am so much hoping this time is the right one. My breasts are sensitive and I have been cramping on and off, with period like cramps all day today. I have had hot flashes too.
And of course I tested and got a BFN but I think it is too early. Is there any chance I could be preggo? And is it possible that past terminations could impact pregnancy today?
Hi!
I am sorry, but yes, past terminations can have an impact on pregnancy. Also, if you had irregular cycles, you need to find the cause, as many of these causes make conceiving difficult, and often result in empty sacs and miscarriages.
High level of stress, dramatic changes in your life style, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalance as seen in thyroid problems and PCOS, chain smoking, may be some of the common causes of your irregular periods. Cushing’s disease and disorders of adrenal gland, tumors of the ovaries and adrenals, insulin resistance and obesity are some of the other factors. Prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills is another cause. Other important local causes of irregular periods are PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS causes cysts to form on the ovaries, interfering with regular ovulation. Diagnosis is by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and by ultrasound. I sincerely advice you to consult a gynecologist and get it evaluated.
Ninth day post period is too early to test for pregnancy. You could be having those symptoms due to ovulation or due to hormonal imbalance. Also, use an ovulation prediction kit, and try close to ovulation. Please discuss in detail with your gynecologist.
Take care!