Pregnancy after blighted ovum
I am a 29 yr old mother of 1, 8years old on the 15th! My hubby and i have been ttc again for 4 years. In Oct of 11 we got preg after using a opk for the first time! We were so uber excited! but unfortunatly i began to spot at 6 weeks, went in for an ultrasound there was just an empty sac, no pole. My doc advised me that this was a common issue and the great news that we got pregnant again! I had my first cycle on 12/12/11 and we did the opk again and i ovulated on 12//27/11, but i think my af is starting today :-( has anyone experienced this situation? Stories are welcome!
Hi!
It is very difficult to predict what is happening. A pregnancy is anembryonic or blighted ovum, if an ultrasound through vagina reveals a sac with gestational sac diameter greater than 13 mm and no yolk sac, or diameter more than 18 mm with no embryo. Follow-up ultrasound is done after 10 days to verify diagnosis. Normally it is wise to wait until 10-11 weeks of pregnancy for a confirmed diagnosis of blighted ovum or fetal death. Do two blood tests for HCG levels at 48 hours interval. If HCG levels are rising then you are pregnant. Also if you are not able to carry this pregnancy forward, I suggest you first consult a gynecologist before trying again. You need to rule out causes such as fetal abnormality, genetic causes, Rh blood group incompatibility, low progesterone hormone, infection of the uterus, endometriosis, and fibroids.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your gynecologist regarding this. Take care!
Thank you very much for your response! Well, my gyno did a transvaginal and a regular ultasound prior to performing the D/E. Also an hcg level test, that was on the rise but not as fast as she thought it should have, In 2008 i had an laprscopy done and she found a small spot of endometriosis. My gyno's reason why i have had a problem ttc. Well, we are still trying & praying! Thanks again for the info :-)