Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy after c-section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy after c-section

I had a baby by c-section about 5 1/2 months ago. I think I may pregnant again. I took 4 home pregnancy tests and 3 of those were positive.  I went to the doctor and they said the test was negative. How early is too early to get pregnant after a c-section?  Are there any complications that go along with this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
It is my understanding that you can get pregnant almost right away after having a baby( weather it be a natural Birth or a C-section birth)but it's not good for your body to do that. as far as complications...well I am assuming (and If I'm wrong someone tell me please)that there might be a slight possiblity of tearing the scar from the c-section open while the baby grows.
Good Luck!
Thank you for answering. That is what I was worried about.  I have been 'feeling' pregnant for about 3 weeks and have done the math and could be 7 weeks pregnant.  I guess the pill is not always 99 % effective!?!  My internal scar from my c-section has started to 'burn' for lack of a better word. I am a little paraniod about the egg trying to implant on the internal scar.
I don't know if that can even happen. Thank you again. It is nice to know someone was listening.
Hi everyone...
To answer your questions....I just had a baby 6 and a half months ago, and I am now 5 months pregnant. So at any time after you stop your period after delivering a child you may get pregnant! As far as complications...I am having quite a bit of trouble...any time the baby kicks me I kneel over in pain...I have no idea if this is normal or not...but it starts hurting so bad at times I can't quit crying and I litterally feel as if my insides are tearing apart. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

420mommy
I had a baby boy a little over 3 months ago. I had gotten the birth control shot but I think it didn't work. I feel like I'm pregnant again but I'm scared to go to the doctor because I had heard that you had to get an abortion if you get pregnant before too soon after a cesarean. Is this true? And I too feel like I'm pulling apart and I'd only be a month or so. I'm very petite (if that matters) and I'm so scared of what the doctors will have to say or what they'll have to do. Any advise?

Dying2know
I had my baby boy around 3 months ago. I want to get pregnant right away because I lost him. My doctor said that I could get pregnant 3 months after he was born. I think that I might be pregnant, but I havn't taken a pregnancy test. The doctor said that I healed nicely and quickly.

Very Hopeful
I was pregnant here just 6 months after having a baby via c-section.  The doctor told me that I would be fine.  There is a small chance of uterine rupture, but it is a small chance.  If you have pain and a lot of cramping, I would be seen about that.  
I just had my baby girl 6 weeks ago and I had intercourse for the first time last week.  I didn't realize you could get pregnant this early after delivery.  I had a csection too.  Would they really encourage an abortion?  Would it be safe to carry the baby to term before you are done healing?
They would present you with the risks of pregnancy so soon after a C/Section, and you would then decide for yourself what you wanted to do.  It all depends on the type of C/Section, if complications were present, your own medical history, etc.

Some would carry the pregnancy despite the risks, some might not.  

If you have sex, you can become pregnant.  Use a good method of birth control, and you won't likely have to face this issue.
My daughter delivered her daughter by C Section 3 weeks ago.  Sadly she was stillborn.  She went to see her doctor yesterday and he told her that she could start trying to conceive anytime after her first normal menstrual cycle and that's what she plans to do.  She will definitely have a C Section with her next babies.
I am so sorry about your daughter I too had a recent lost, my dughter who I  gave birth through via c section  on july 3 was also a still born I was 38 weeks. I went for my six week check  two weeks ago and my doctor told to wait 2- 3 months how ever  a doctor in the family told us we couldd start right away as early as after six weeks so my husband and I are were so anxious we didnt wait and right after the six weeks have been triyng but am realy scared God willing everything wiill go well my prayers are with your gaughter  and tell her for now and ever she will always have an Angel watching over her the way my Angel will be too God bless
i Just had my baby sep 23 2008 and i am prego again i am so worried that i will not be able to get an abortion i cant have another baby at this time and i dont know what to do please help me
I also had a baby on Aug. 24,2008 she is 5mths now. I think I may be preganant also.I'm also concerned not ready for a baby now I also have a 7year old at home
I have had 5 kids and am pregnant again my last child was deliverd at 33 weeks by c-section because of placenta previa and hemmorage at 3 cms. my doctors told me that i can have a normal VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section). and that ruptures happen in less than 1% and out of the ruptures that happen only about 1%-2% have been bad enuf to have to have doctors interveen. most ruptures r so small they heal on there own. Also ruptures happen to about the same percent of people even when they hav not had a c-section. so as my doctors had told me I have the same chance of rupture as if i never had a c-section at all. here is a link to a web site that will explan all about VBAC.    Vaginal Birth After Cesarean FAQ - Childbirth.org
I had my first baby on sept 21 by c-section.  My mother had trouble getting prego after she had me.  My husband and I thought that I would have the same problem so I didn't get any birth control.  So, now its april and I've only had two periods since the baby.  Go figure!!!  I am happy but at the same time I am a little scared.  I don't really want to talk to the doctor and find out if I really am or if it is okay that I am prego again.  I am not sure what to do.  If any one has some advice for me and what I can do without going to crazy.  By the way, I hate doctors and hospitals.  I can't talk to doctors like I can regular people.  I'm not sure why that is. Now you know why I have such a hard time with this.
Well I'm relieved to see that I'm not alone with the surprise and shock of being 8 wks prego just seven months after delivering my son via c section. I must emplore and encourage all of you to seek your previous obgyns insight. They will be honest and frank with you since they have experience with you. My doc says me and new baby are doing well and has reccomended seeing me more frequently to ensure safe developement along the way. I am overwhelmed at the thought of having two small children! Especially since I also have a 7 HR old. I've contemplated terminating but my spouse would be heartbroken and as my good friend put it " adding on to your family can only increase your life experience and that of your children". We shall see! Let's uplift and encorage one another. Peace and joy are far more contageous and productive than fear. I wish you all the best!
iam prego 6 and a half months my baby might have trisomy 18 they not for sure but what to do
i just hd a bby 5mnths ago by c-section n prego again. i feel the c-section scar stretches a lil evry now n thn
Iam sorry if my language might have some mistakes..Iam Egyptian like to share my story wz all of you.
Iam 29 get married 1 years ago..I got pregnant 3 months after my marriage..my daughter was delivered by a c-section in 2nd of aprail 2010 then she died 24 hours after giving birth.
Iam in a very bad need to start over try again after my 40 days period.. but my doctor always advice to wait for at least 6 months..
do you think that the c-section would have bad effect upon my baby health conloused to her death?? you think I can have a natural delivery after my c-section if I get pregnangt immediatly?? you think my age is to old to wait?
I would be very happy to have your comments
I'm sorry about your baby, I had the same experience too, only she died after 48 hours, that was Nov 2008, by may 2009, I got preg again and now my little boy is almost 6wks old. I had a repeat C/S though. The truth is if you get preg too soon, say less than 9 months after you are likely to have another C/S, so it's good to wait like your doc says but if you don't mind having another C/S, you can go ahead within 6 months and you are not that old except you are planning on having lots of children!
I am soo worried 4 months and one week ago i had my daughter  she was 5 weeks preemie and weighed 4 pounds 12 oz i had to have a emergency c section due to getting preclampsia But she was very healthy and i would like to think i healed and got better pretty fast Well I have bin taking birth control but i did miss  2 through out this month and now i missed my period can anyone give me any advice Has anyone had a succesfull pregnancy that close after a c section ?
had c section 12weeks ago and are pregnant (2weeks) we were trying and am delighted as did not think would happen so quick ! this will be my 3rd c section have 8yr old also . I said to my doc in hosp and gp that I wanted to have another straight away if possible ! and no issue . so cross fingers all goes to plan and remember everything happens for a reason ! xx
I had a c section on December 2009 due to failure to progress, sadly my daughter died of a brain tumour five days later, I was desperate to get pregnant again and was pregnant by May 2009, I had a healthy baby boy by c secttion in February 2010 wirh no complications, and have just found out today that I am five weeks pregnant.
I also want to share my story I had a very long complicated pregnancy and I was waiting to see my son who was born by Bikini line C Section 3rd of May, Sadly he passed away 2 days later in the NICU the doctor said I should wait 6 month but he didnt insiste on it, however I wish to have another baby right away, he was my 1st baby and am 24 year (Healthy) old, but that really broke my heart and I dont think the ace will ever go unless I have another baby, wish to hear success stories about getting pregnant so soon after a c section.
Hi i have a three month old daughter who was 7weeks prem and delivered by an emergency c-section i am n pregnant again im at least 2month pregnant is this a bad thing as i don;t want to abort??
I just had an emergency c-section in Feb 2010 due to my placenta rupturing. I was 32 weeks pregnant and my son passed away before the dr could get him out. When I went to my 6wk check-up, my dr said we could start trying again asap. We have been trying since April. My last period was May 12, 2010 and 2 days ago, I have been having sharp, pinching pains internally where my c-section scar is. Could I be pregnant??? Why is it hurting??? My dr wants to see me later this week and check it out. Any advice??? I want to be pregnant again so bad!!!!! I feel empty without my baby boy. Has anyone had a successful pregnancy after a placenta rupture?? My dr said it should be fine, I would just have to be monitored more and probably deliver early w/ another c-sec. But I'm scared and nervous. Please help!!
Hi all,

i had m.c  5 weeks ago on tues so all was not to be ! Just got my period today and looking forward to tryin again! whats for us wont pass us

very sorry to hear of all your losses as its sad to misscarry at early stages but it must be devasting to loose a baby so far on . No words cant help but at least we can just put all our feelings on mails , everything helps ! keep chins up xxx i know i am x
Hi, please keep me up to date with your pregnancy, i might be pregnat again after only 10 weeks of giving birth. I have an 8yrs old but my second baby didnt make it. im scared as i think this might be too soon.  my doctor told me that i can try again after 3 months.
i just had my son sept 21,2010, its november 7, 2010 and i think i might be pregnant....does anyone know the risks??? oh by the way, i had a csection, so im a little worried...
hiya,

i had my son in april 2010 and ive recentky found out am pregnant again. i had a csection due to him being breech!! i am worried incase it is too early. i have seen my doctor and midwife and they' both said i should be okay but am still worried.

HELP?? is there any high risks you know of??
The risk of uterine rupture is always a possibility (with c-sections) and is usually a greater concern with muliple gestations or traditional c-sections that run toward the umbilicus. If the doctor has given you the all clear than they feel that the risks are minimal.  Just try to rest and heal while you have the time to do so. Stress is not good for you or baby!! (or potential baby)! If your concerns persist, talk with your OB or midwife. Let them know the specifics of your concerns. It is their job to address your questions and ensure your pregnancy/delivery is as happy and safe as possible!
-OB RN
I was on this wall and i read your article,am so sorry for the loss of your baby.anyway how are you doing?have you gotten another baby?please let me know since i want to be encouraged  by your story,i too lost my baby boy jan this year am struggling to get over,i can'n TTC just yet coz i gave via c- section.Lauzzy
Hi all,
So sad to read about all the late term losses :-( but pleasing to see that after all your tragic losses you're all picking yourselves up and not been put off having more children :-)

I had my first c-section in November 2010! I had 4 normal deliveries and 2 miscarriages previous to this but all in close succession! I'm only 25 and have had children in August 2002, miscarriage September 2003, normal pregnancy January 2005, miscarriage June 2005, normal pregnancy June 2006, normal pregnancy September 2009 and normal pregnancy but delivered by c-section in November 2010!! I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and to be honestly, so scared!!!
I've been having pains for the past week, like period pains, my doctor thinks it could be due to me getting pregnant 5 weeks after my section, but it's scary nevertheless! I have chronic kidneys infections too so take many types of pain killers but still feel this tummy ache!! I had a scan yesterday and the baby is fine, to my relief but i'm worried about getting on in the pregnancy that this mild period like pain is only going to get worse! And when you have an 8yr, 6yr, 4yr, 17 months and 3 month old children to care for in the holidays i'm finding it hard to deal with!
If anyone out there has had as many pregnancies and has a similar situation please advise me as my doc thinks i'll be fine! I haven't seen a OBS or midwife yet!
This post might seem odd as I've got so much experience with having children but that c-section last year was the worst experience of my life and i'm totally s*@t scared!!!!

Thanks,

Nixy.
i have never had many pregnancies,i have 9yrs old,the other one passed away.am interested in your story because i also gave birh via c section.but what i can advise is to be strong and trust in the Lord i know that all will be well.count yourself lucky because you are expecting a child.you know pregnacy is your attitude despite the pains you are feeling now which i thing might be siggns of pregnacy.be strong and be positive also take care of yourself and trust me all will be well.please keep me posted on how you are doing since i want to try conceiving after my c- section which i had last month.GOODLUCK
Lazzy
i am pregnant again also! my little girl is just 7 months old and ive had four csections, i dont  agree with abortions but i had  a small rupter with her and it scared the crap out of me,  i love god  so much and yet im still confused, i  dont want to put my body threw it again! i have 4 boys and one girl im happy with that i love them all im thinking of getting an abortion due to me just having a baby 7 months ago !!!!!!!!!! has anyone been threw this at all please give me advice!!!!!!!!!!
OMG... im sitting here researching info.. because im afraid because i think im expecting and i just had a rough c/s last July(2010) my dr told me if i ever got pregnant again it should be at least 2yrs... im having all the signs of prego,,, My husband will be very upset and already saying well i guess we have to abort.. Any suggestions..PLS,,,,
hi i had 3 c/s and my last was last yr July.. i am so nervous because i know with out a doubt im expecting and had a rough deliver via c/s and was told to wait 2 yrs b4 conceiving but my b/c pills failed us.. i have never considered aborting because of my love for God, but im wondering if the dr going to suggest that.. and i dnt know how to tell my hubbie...
 had a still birth through cs due  PIH five and half month ago. av been trying  get pregnant but  have this fear in me cos  av this sensation each time  touch the scar inside.pls is it safe?
im so sry to hear abt your loss. thank you..you will be in my prayers...
I had a emergancy section on the 1st Dec 2010, 6 months ago today..
I had 10 hours of natural labour but the baby was to big he was 11lb. an I'm not all that big..so I had no other option.
About 3 days ago i found out that im 6 weeks pregnant..
At first I was terrified I didnt know what to be thinking, but when I got over the shock I'm actually really happy about this now, my partner is delighted from the minute he saw the results.. but now im so worried about this pregnancy, i hope it goes well but cant help having doubts, plus im terrified to go to my doctors..
Anybody in the same situation that can give me advise?? x
i had c-section november 2010 got pregnant after 6 months. do someone knows the complications? will i be alright? =(
I just had a C-section delivery last Feb. 11, 2011 to my first child and my last menstruation was on April 25, 2011 & we never tried using bc pills...and now I am about 8-9 weeks pregnant.  Me & my husband went to 2 doctors (1 gynae & 1 GP) they both suggests to terminate the baby as its too soon to get pregnant.  We don't want to abort the baby for our love to God & we dont have the heart to kill our own child. so i decided to call my OB overseas who help me deliver my first child & she told me that it would be fine. she told me not to abort the baby as I will get a bad karma & that is my own child & that is a mortal sin though me & my husband didnt think of terminating the baby I still have some worries.

I got pregnant after 2 months of C-section deliery...that is too close! Pls help me I need your advice as me & my husband are working overseas & away from our families...we really dont know what to do! I can still feel some pain on my scar... and now that I am pregnant again I can feel some abdominal cramps the same feeling when I am having my period.

Pls help...need your advice.

Thank you & God bless!

Mel
Hi Everyone I had my 2nd son 5week ago by a emergency c section i was 36 weeks 5 days and he was in the nicu for 10days but me and my boyfriend had sex 3 days after i had him and i think i am pregnany and i am eatting all the same foods as i did when i was pregnany on my son. is it safe to get pregnany so soon after having my son 5 weeks ago and what can happan to the baby and me if i go full term if i am pregnany
Hey i dont think you can get pregnant 3days after deleivery
hiy i had my baby girl 3 months ago via emergency c-section and she was 4 months early and she didn't make it and am desperatly in need of another baby is it possible for me to try again since i didn't go full term, has any one their ever had such aproblem and got pregnant right away please i need some answers
thank you priscilla k.d
What kind of symptoms did you have?  Did you have slight pain under your section scar and some cramping?  I think I may be pregnant but my test was negative.  Perhaps, I took it too early.  It is tender to press firmly in that area and I had slight spotting but no period.  Any thoughts?
my miss had pregnant conformed at aprial 15 20 week 4 days doctoe said when she will deliverid
When you delivered did you have a c-sec? I know this is an old post, but i lost my son 2 months ago, and i am wondering if you did get pregnant and how did things go? Please respond this would be helpful.
I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I lost my daughter on July 5th, 2012 at 38 weeks. It was my second csection. My OB said to wait 3-4 months, but my perinatologist said to wait 12 months. This has left me very confused, so I have decided to take it in my own hands and do a lot of research. Have you found any answers?